What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Going electric? - SLO76
Swmbo is about to start as a teacher at a new school which involves a roughly forty mile commute five days a week. As a rough cost this will work out at around £130 a month on fuel using “Venus” the Voluptuous Volvo plus the added depreciation and maintenance cost that throwing an extra 10,000 miles a year at it will entail. Using my old Toyota estate is out of the window as the gaffer hates driving it despite it being far better on fuel and the additional miles won’t really do anything to its already low value. So, what to do?

Her indoors likes the idea of a small electric car to commute in so I did a quick search for deals. List prices are nonsense so buying is out of the question but leasing rates do add up. A new VW eUP! costs £183 a month for a 10k p/a deal over 4yrs. If this were to replace ageing Toyota and take the commuting miles it would largely pay for itself and is surprisingly little dearer than equivalent petrol UP models through the same firm.

Am I about to go against my own advice and experiment with going all electric? The new commuting miles do open up the argument in favour plus there’s the bonus of a guaranteed parking spot too. We need to retain a long range car for family holidays etc so doing away with the Volvo is probably unrealistic but a big battery Leaf or similar could potentially do the job and it would save me forking out £720 on timing and ancillary belt changes plus a service and it’s due two expensive tyres at the back too.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2021 at 10:14

Going electric? - nellyjak

Mmmm...I see your dilemma, SLO..and the temptations too.

I SO wanna love a leccy vehicle...wouldn't want to buy one (still too expensive for me)...but lease.?..well, maybe...and 10k miles p.a. is way more than I actually do.

Would it entail the cost of an external charging point.?

I'm sure it's the (near) future..well, until hydrogen powered cars are viable.

I think there will be many of us that might have similar thoughts in future..and have to rethink our past opinions to accommodate them.

I wish you good luck with your deliberations and see which way you go.

Going electric? - badbusdriver

For the circumstances you describe an EV is definitely a serious contender, and going by what I read, the eUp!, along with its Skoda and Seat siblings, are really pretty decent. Speaking of which, I'm assuming you have looked into the deals on both of them?. Of course, location of the nearest dealer will play a big part, but I'd imagine both Skoda and Seat to be cheaper than the VW.

Here is Rory Reid doing a video review (via YouTube) on the Skoda which, at the time (about a year ago), was the cheapest new EV you could buy. He certainly seems to like it!:

watch

Going electric? - SLO76
The Skoda seems unavailable on lease and the Seat is only £4 pcm cheaper so we’d favour the slightly nicer UP!.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2021 at 10:59

Going electric? - Xileno

Zoe is worth a look, those I've met who have them or had them rate them highly. My neighbour had one on lease and was pleased with it but didn't replace it with another as the new lease deals were not competitive so went back to ICE. Also not all Renault dealers could service them but this was a few years ago and might have changed.

Going electric? - Lee Power

FWIW - The new all Toyota Aygo is due in the near future if you wanted to stay with reliable petrol power.

Going electric? - primus 1

What’s this? SLO going over to the dark side..!

Going electric? - Brit_in_Germany

We have recently bought a Zoe (making the most of a €10,000 subsidy scheme) and agree that it is a very pleasant drive. It is averaging 13 kW/100 km and so with the 50 kWh battery has a summer range of approx. 400 km. This would be lower for extended motorway usage though.

Going electric? - 72 dudes

We have recently bought a Zoe (making the most of a €10,000 subsidy scheme) and agree that it is a very pleasant drive. It is averaging 13 kW/100 km and so with the 50 kWh battery has a summer range of approx. 400 km. This would be lower for extended motorway usage though.

Wow, that's what our government should be doing if they're serious.

c£8k would probably be enough to persuade me to get rid of my 14 year old diesel A Class which I use for my small business.

Going electric? - Big John

Is that a forty mile each way or round trip commute?

Was asking as I did a 32 mile each way / 64 round trip commute for decades and even with going part time 4 days a week and a lift share some of the time my annual mileage still came in in at 16k miles although this did include some Uk / European leisure driving. Depends on what the cost of going over mileage is - sometimes it's cheap sometimes it's punitive.

However on this sort of commute going electric to save money on petrol to offset against lease costs does partially make sense especially on shorter leases where car is always under warranty.

Going electric? - Terry W

I had similar thoughts as wifes 11 year old (bought as a 1 y/o) Hyundai i10 needs replacing - nothing majorly wrong just age starting to show.

Have considered electric but purchase cost is far to high to justify. As the car does only 3-4k pa going electric does not make a lot of sense - fuel cost at 50mpg is approx £450-500 pa.

Even a low mileage EV lease is ~£2400 pa. So it will be rplaced with a 12-24 month old Fiesta, Fabia, Micra, Yaris or similar size with an expectation to keep it for 8-10 years. That way her car will be usable on longer journeys and allow me some flexibility on what I choose to replace my 308 with.

But if you can put the miles in on a reasonable commute, EV starts to make financial sense, irrespective of environmental views. Just make sure before you push the button that she/you will be happy to live with a much smaller car.

Going electric? - Alby Back
On the other hand, I seem to recall you have previously mentioned that your wife loves her Volvo?

Sometimes that is the real answer to car questions, drive the car you want to drive, it doesn't always have to be about saving a few quid here and there does it? The reason we all ( well, most of us ) work is to afford the things we want to do and own isn't it?
Going electric? - corax
On the other hand, I seem to recall you have previously mentioned that your wife loves her Volvo? Sometimes that is the real answer to car questions, drive the car you want to drive, it doesn't always have to be about saving a few quid here and there does it? The reason we all ( well, most of us ) work is to afford the things we want to do and own isn't it?

I think the point was that she enjoys it, but he is paying for it.

"Leaf or similar could potentially do the job and it would save me forking out £720 on timing and ancillary belt changes plus a service and it’s due two expensive tyres at the back too"

:)

Well, of course, everything costs something, but even a temporarily happy wife is unusual and irregular enough to be worth some privations in my view...

;-)
Going electric? - Chris79
I swapped my diesel Volvo for an electric ioniq last year. 14k miles later I have no regrets, mine too is leased and I am saving a fortune!

Using octopus go the electricity is super cheap off peak, the only caveat I’d put on it is that you need to have another car. As a commuter wagon it’s brilliant but as an all rounder it just doesn’t work.

The other bonus is how easy it is to drive - nothing about commuting is pleasant so the fact that the car is so easy to drive helps!
Going electric? - badbusdriver

Using octopus go the electricity is super cheap off peak, the only caveat I’d put on it is that you need to have another car. As a commuter wagon it’s brilliant but as an all rounder it just doesn’t work.

Surely that depends on your useage?. It may not work for you as an only car, but that doesn't mean it won't work for anyone as an only car.

Going electric? - Xileno

"the only caveat I’d put on it is that you need to have another car. "

That is the problem still to be overcome. As as second car they are great, I'm not sure we are at the point where the only car can be electric for the majority of people, except possibly a Tesla and access to the superchargers. Not yet anyway, I am sure the day will come.

Going electric? - Andrew-T
Well, of course, everything costs something, but even a temporarily happy wife is unusual and irregular enough to be worth some privations in my view.

That may be the most expensive part of the equation :-)

Going electric? - John F
On the other hand, I seem to recall you have previously mentioned that your wife loves her Volvo? Sometimes that is the real answer to car questions, drive the car you want to drive, it doesn't always have to be about saving a few quid here and there does it? The reason we all ( well, most of us ) work is to afford the things we want to do and own isn't it?

Absolutely.

I think the point was that she enjoys it, but he is paying for it.

But now she's got a job, surely she can fuel the car she loves!

Going electric? - SLO76

She does but she’s keen on the idea of a wee battery powered runabout too. Girl’s got expensive tastes for a lass from Kilmarnock.
Going electric? - Engineer Andy

Sorry SLO, but the eUp is only designed for people indigenous to Northern England. I believe you want the CU Jimny. :-)

youtu.be/a1Zd9HzG4Pk

Going electric? - SLO76

Sorry SLO, but the eUp is only designed for people indigenous to Northern England. I believe you want the CU Jimny. :-)

youtu.be/a1Zd9HzG4Pk

Love it
Going electric? - daveyjp

200 miles a week is a great sweet spot for EV use as you will really appreciate the fuel cost savings. If it were me I'd be making the change.

I'm just back from the west coast of Scotland and saw EVs everywhere, including my first Mach e Mustang at the Mull of Kintyre. They will make total sense in rural areas as even 'popping' to the shop can be a 20-30 mile round trip.

Going electric? - Hy Sid

We converted to full electric for our second car about 3 months ago. Absolutely no regrets and the EV is fast becoming our first car. Wouldn't buy another petrol/diesel now, we like EV driving so much.

If leasing, worrying about battery longevity won't be an issue, but if intend to own, then generally avoiding charging to full capacity too often seems to be the recommended way forward to keep the batteries in good condition. So working to 80-90% of the max range is what we normally do. EV-database website has useful predictions for range etc

Charging at home is easy enough if you have a drive and can get a charger installed. They seem to cost about £500 upwards after government grant for a 7kw option. Public charging more hit and miss, but can be absolutely fine.

Going electric? - JonestHon

What about 'lording over' mere mortals? Surely can't do this in an eUP?

Going electric? - Ethan Edwards

Unlikely to be Lording it in our ev. Just ordered a Mokka e. This will be our only car.

Going electric? - FoxyJukebox
I know they’re ace for a domestic fast charge , but are you going to save and do without a charger. I’ve heard that a standard plug in the wall will deliver a full charge in 12 hrs( overnight)…?
For what little it's worth, I was chatting to an old friend a couple of weeks ago. He had always had petrol Golf GTis for years. Then, about Easter time this year, he swapped his Golf for one of those VW electric hatchbacks. Can't remember what they call them.

Anyway, when I saw him recently, he'd got rid of it and gone back to a GTi. Said he just hated the thing and couldn't get on with it, and, he'd been caught out a couple of times with chargers not working when he was far from home or having to wait ages until one was free etc and just lost patience with the whole thing.

He's not anti EV as such, but just feels that he was too early to the party for his usage.

Edited by Alby Back on 16/08/2021 at 11:43

The Mokka E will be our only car. The longest regular journey we do is 95miles round trip. Today I've been sorting out the home charging point. Hope it'll be 7kw and installed in my garage. That said occasionally pop up to York. With one stop at Newark should stop get lunch and in an hour be good for another 160 miles.. that's the plan. 7kw should comfortably recharge overnight. On my current tariff that's 4 quid. Free Road Tax...no congestion charge.....and I see that Asd# and Tescoy Extra local to me offer 7kw charging free. Yes it's a bit of a punt....have to see for this works out. The tipping point for us was my return to the office is only going to be two days a week. So we reckon to manage with just the one car. Could work out to be a killer move...if not I'll have to buy another ice car. We'll have to see.

Going electric? - barney100

E UP review states the new model has a range of over a hundred miles. Just had a trip to N Wales, appx 250 miles so where can you guarantee charging an Up on that trip from Hampshire? Old V70 diesel did it with no stops needed with lots of fuel left at the end of the journey. I can see an EVs appeal if you don't do long trips but with a dog and three adults and all the luggage etc it wouldn't do the job. I expect improvements all the time but I am not tempted yet.

Going electric? - SLO76
This would be a second car, it’ll only need an overnight charge sat on our driveway so there’s no range issues to concern ourselves about even with the cheapest of EV’s on the market. It’s a roughly 40 mile commute both ways plus other local running and I figure that the fuel and depreciation savings will cover the cost of a monthly lease of around £170/£180. The Volvo would be kept as the main family car but old Toyota would be going. That said, the Volvo did snap a spring earlier today in spectacular fashion as a wee reminder that things do go wrong on 7yr old cars no mater how low the mileage or how well maintained it is.
Going electric? - nellyjak
. The Volvo would be kept as the main family car but old Toyota would be going.

Oh no...sell the Volvo...keep the Toyota....lol

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Oh no...sell the Volvo...keep the Toyota....lol”

Give me ten minutes, I change my mind constantly.
Going electric? - Chris79

If you can access the octopus go tariff and charge during the favourable off peak period then fuel costs are a huge factor.

100 miles of range costs me 90p if I charge between 0030-0430, I used the Gridserve EV station in Braintree last week, I believe this is the first dedicated ev station in the uk and it charged me 24p kWh. This meant 100 miles of charge cost £4.50 and took 23 minutes.

if I was still running the Volvo assuming 50 mpg I would anticipate a fuel cost of £12.

My commute is 92 miles round trip and my lease is over 4 years and 72k. It includes everything bar electricity and costs £306 per month net. The car is leased via salary sacrifice and under the current BiK regime it is an absolute no brainer.

After 1 year of commuting I have absolutely no regrets, the battery life is as good as day 1.

During the summer months the range is 200 miles, in the depths of winter it falls to about 160. The quoted range is 183.

70% of my mileage is dual carriageway and providing I stick to 65 then the range is accurate, doing 80mph last night it wasn’t, falling from 5.2miles per kWh to 3.5!

The Heater and Ac sap range but in all fairness It doesn’t cause problems. Turning the Ac on instantly wipes 20 miles off the range but when I turn it off 10 minutes later I get 18/19 back!.

I have favoured using the heated seats and steering wheel in winter over the heater but in all honesty I don’t know why because range has never been an issue.

As stated by someone else you need to consider your usage carefully to see if EV is for you but I have no complaints!

Going electric? - John F

Our maths - under 6000 miles a year for the foreseeable future. Fuel approaching £6 a gallon. MPG currently averaging 43.5. That's 14p per mile to the nearest p. So around £800 a year on fuel. Road tax offset by the amount it costs in electricity to run an EV. I do my own servicing. So the fuel cost will take many years to erode the savings (invested elsewhere) made by spending £17k rather than at least £10k more for an equivalent EV - which is what our Peugeot 2008 130 EAT6 cost in Oct 2019, now with only just over 9,000 miles on the clock.

Going electric? - Steveieb

Spoke to a friend who has bought a Volvo Polestar and was regretting it.

He tried to travel from Market Harborough to Reading last week and the story sounded like James Mays trip to Devon in his I 3 to see the Who performing .

My friend planned to recharge in Brackley but the charger was out of order. Oxford services were Tesler only . Third try and the bays were occupied. So fourth time lucky somewhere near Oxford and an hours stop to recharge.

He has decided to take his sons Fiesta on a business trip to Kent today.

Guy Martin concluded his programme on the fastest electric car with the words of caution about the infrastructure not yet up and running but other industry sceptics say that our electricity supply problems will drive electric car owners to mainly charging overnight at home using the domestic supply, and restrict the cars to local journeys.

Going electric? - Warning

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, research shows

www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-owners-switch...T

Going electric? - kiss (keep it simple)

It's all about the infrastructure and the ludicrous number of different charging companies requiring their own apps. This really needs legislation, not allowing the so-called free market to sort itself out.

Our local Tesco store has a couple of chargers, but they are only 7kW which is really pretty pointless because it's a small store. You are unlikely to spend even one hour there!

If I had splashed out upwards of 50k on a super duper electric car I would be well hacked off if I couldn't get access to a decent fast charger when I needed it.

Tesla have got it right; rapid chargers available on the motorways where you need them and slower "Destination Chargers" at hotels where you will be parked up overnight.

Going electric? - John F

It's all about the infrastructure and the ludicrous number of different charging companies requiring their own apps. This really needs legislation, not allowing the so-called free market to sort itself out.

That's why China is streets ahead of anywhere else with all EV makers standardising charge plugs and sockets............except for Tesla.

Tesla have got it right;

Only if you are happy with just being able to use Tesla chargers.....which seems ludicrous to me, especially as they are not going to be free any more. It's astonishing that the USA is so far behind the rest of the civilised world in EV usage.

Going electric? - Engineer Andy

That's why China is streets ahead of anywhere else with all EV makers standardising charge plugs and sockets............except for Tesla.

Tesla have got it right;

Only if you are happy with just being able to use Tesla chargers.....which seems ludicrous to me, especially as they are not going to be free any more. It's astonishing that the USA is so far behind the rest of the civilised world in EV usage.

Only problem is that so much of China's electricity is produced by coal (more power plants coming on stream every month) - hardly green.

Going electric? - mcb100
European spec Teslas from 2019 have the same CCS port as competitor cars, so will charge from any Tesla or third party DC charger.
“ Oh no...sell the Volvo...keep the Toyota....lol” Give me ten minutes, I change my mind constantly.

I suppose it's the old dilemma, as a result of having now paid for the service, the cam belt change and the replacement spring, as to whether you keep the car in the hope of getting some sense of value from that expenditure, or move it on? I'm usually a fix/maintain and keep sort in the main I guess.

Edited by Alby Back on 17/08/2021 at 16:26

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Oh no...sell the Volvo...keep the Toyota....lol” Give me ten minutes, I change my mind constantly.

I suppose it's the old dilemma, as a result of having now paid for the service, the cam belt change and the replacement spring, as to whether you keep the car in the hope of getting some sense of value from that expenditure, or move it on? I'm usually a fix/maintain and keep sort in the main I guess.

Yeah, the old Volvo will remain, as long as I’m not regularly landed with hefty bills like this. A smaller commuter is needed though but I’ll take my time, at least until the decent cycling weather is away and I’m not using the Avensis for the bike. The XC60 is no use for carrying the bike without a bike rack, something I may invest in. It’s been an expensive few months what with summer hols I wasn’t expecting to go on to fund. Both road taxes and the insurance for Volvo are all due next month too so no rest for the wallet.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/08/2021 at 17:19

Going electric? - mcb100
An enquiry into lead times may have a bearing on vehicle choices. Dealers of all brands are desperately short of stock, and quoted delivery dates well into 2022 aren’t uncommon.
Going electric? - veloceman
Yup, I just been quoted 56 weeks for a new Golf Gti.
I can’t believe anyone would order a car with that lead time.
Going electric? - madf

Just make sure you do not buy an electric VW>

www.theguardian.com/money/2021/aug/09/what-should-...e

"In May I took delivery of a brand new VW ID.3 electric car that I had leased though a firm called LeasePlan. On arrival it immediately became clear that the car had a number of serious defects, including a faulty engine management system, complete with a “do not drive warning”, dysfunctional indicators, a broken satnav and other problems. VW assist came to look at the car but could not fix it on site, so I formally rejected the car to the lease company in writing. I did so within the 14-day period allowed by the Consumer Rights Act."

Going electric? - Xileno

Not really an issue with VW, a car with those faults should not have passed PDI - if it even had one.

That's concerning. The ID3 was number three on my shortlist. Thought the interior looked sub par. Kona was no2. Liked the seating, less keen on the dash esp the centre consoles. Not keen on the front and the back looked fussy. But the range was amazing. Went for the Mokka e in the end.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 18/08/2021 at 21:23