What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Guitarspark

I have just bought a second hand Odysey Karrite 360 roof box for my 66 reg Sportage. It's one that only opens on one side. I tried to fit it tonight but can't see how I can lean across to secure the wing nuts as it's too far to stretch. The box has a 50kg limit and my car has a panoramic sunroof so I'm very wary of climbing in!

Anyone got any suggestions of how I fit the u bar and wing nuts on the far side? I'm totally stuck!

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Ian D
On my S Max I use a large step ladder and somebody to hold it while i lean over and attach the fixings....

Thanks. I guess when you're away on holiday you just leave it on the car rather than taking it off again? Doubt holiday cottage could have a step ladder! :-)

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Xileno

I used to approach it from the hinged side. By getting high enough on a stepladder I was able to just reach around to fix the bolt. Not a great design, there should be an easier way.

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Ian D
Yes leave it attached, but try not to drive into a car park where the roof box is too high, a friend of mine drove into a height restricted car park with 2 expensive bikes on the roof he forgot about, expensive mistake!
Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - elekie&a/c doctor

What about something like this ? Folding Wheel Step -Cars-Motorhomes-Caravans-Campervans, Trucks | eBay

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - edlithgow

The box has a 50kg limit and my car has a panoramic sunroof so I'm very wary of climbing in!

The 50kg limit might be a dynamic one, related to moving vehicle stability, rather than an indication of static load capacity

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - S40 Man

Does i have a u shaped metal bracket and a hole for that too go through into the plastic box?

If so turn the U into an N so the threaded bar but pokes out of the box. You will then be able to tighten the wing nuts from underneath the box very easily. For security do the ones on the opening side with the nuts inside the box.

That's the way to do it!

Thanks for all your help. Managed to get itnon this morning. Used a step ladder and, it was a stretch, but managed to do it. Just in time for going on holiday! Just got to measure the height now so I don't go into a car park that's too low! Don't really want to take step ladders with me to remove it

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Chris M

It's some years since I used a roof box on a CMax we had but when we arrived at the rented cottage, I removed the box and roof bars as a complete item.

Kia Sportage - Roof box fitting help! - Bromptonaut

The first two cars we used a roofbox with were conventional estate cars; a Citroen BX and then a Xantia. Various permutations of lowering the hydropneumatic suspension or balancing in internal fitting in the car made it possible to get the box on and off easily. We could leave it on our campsite pitch if we wanted to.

After moving on to a 2005 Mk2 Berlingo steps were needed. The box had to stay on and many town car parks in France (and Switzerland) were off limits. Caused a certain amount of friction with friends when we had to drive around to find surface parking in Geneva.