What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - Archie35

Good morning. I'd welcome advice from the experts on this forum... I'm slowly seeking a replacement car for my wife (no immediate urgency, but I'd like to get it sorted before winter), and struggling over the options. Her considerations/requirements are:

• We live in deep countryside in the South West, with mostly single track potholed roads in the immediate surroundings, so I suspect that a SUV would be most suitable. 4WD is not needed (& I usually fit all-weather tyres to our cars).
  • Most days she will drive 80-100 miles, primarily on country or A-roads, with a bit of small-town driving. Very occasional mostorway trips, but not often (and for long ones she could take my car).
  • Reliability and safety is important - we depend upon our cars most days, so definitely don't want something which'll break down often). I'm pretty scrupulous about getting our cars serviced properly.
  • A comfortable ride is more important than sportiness.
  • Big enough for 2 adult sized people (her plus a tall teenager), ideally with space for a 3rd in the back - but not often.
  • Automatic is strongly preferred.
  • Heated seats! (Don't laugh... she really feels the cold, and heated seats make a big difference to her in the winter!)
  • Budget - around about 20k? If I have to spend more to get something which'll be more likely to last, then so be it. Equally, if I can find something nearer the 15k price then even better (more money for the kitchen upgrade which is also going to be needed!!).

We've looked at (online mostly), or thought about, any of the following, but are we missing others? And what do you think about the ones we've considered so far: Mini Countryman (my wife's preference!); Mazda CX3; Renault Captur; Honda H-RV (but only the petrol comes with an auto, and the reviews of the petrol engine performance aren't great); Suzuki Vitara (which rarely if ever have heated seats...).

Final off the wall consideration - though it is more expensive, I've also seen online a 2 year old Hyundai Kona EV. We do have off-street parking, so I could install a charger, and it appears to have a good range (250 miles even). More expensive up front, but cheaper to run - worth thinking about? I read some scary stories over the weekend about potential battery issues (fires, recalls etc) which rather deter me, but it appears not all Kona's are impacted (though Hyundai are not handling it well, and are not making it clear which cars are impacted, nor how long they'll take to sort it).

Anyway, grateful for any thoughts, comments or constructive advice you experts might have! Thank you.

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - SLO76
“ Mini Countryman (my wife's preference!)” - Awful car. Abysmal long term reliability, bouncy ride and awkward to read speedo. I ran swmbo’s aunts for a while and hated it. Reasonable fun to drive is the only up side.

“Mazda CX3” - Great car all round.

“Renault Captur” - Poor reputation for reliability and it’ll deprecate rapidly.

“Honda H-RV” - Tough and long lived but a bit lacking in power. Perfectly adequate for a small SUV though.

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - John F

We are still very pleased with our nearly two year old Peugeot 2008 for the following reasons, not necessarily in order of importance.......

1. Excellent powertrain. Now they have sorted early cambelt problems, the 1.2 puretech engine promises to be a powerful (ours is the 130hp) and economical delight for many years to come and the Japanese Aisin EAT6 autobox is superb. The long term computer is currently reading 44mpg (to nearest 1mpg).

2. Because it is not designed for 4WD variants (it has an advanced snow/mud grip feature), the rear load platform is nice and low with no lip (like an estate - easy to run a mower or load a fridge into it). And there is a proper spare wheel under it.

3. Ours has no heated seats but thanks to the innovative design of the engine's exhaust/cooling system, the heater works almost instantaneously - a high priority for me!

4. Peugeot has always portrayed itself as a cut above its French rivals and the quality of the interior (admittedly ours is the top-of-the-range Allure Premium) bears this out.

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - SLO76
I’d look at a used Mk IV Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC auto too. Your budget will get the best top end example and these are robust and relaxing. They ride well for an SUV and even the 4wd auto will do 50mpg on a run.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/08/2021 at 12:01

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - Xileno

Friend had one of those although a manual I think. They were very pleased with it and only got rid of it because his wife got made redundant and no need for two cars.

Many thanks all. I'll certainly look at the Peaugeot and the CRV (I think from a bit of googling, that the Mark 4 ran from 2013 to 2018, but I'm not sure how to differentiate that model from the Mark 5, assuming that there was some overlap in sales). I've generally thought of the CRV as being a large SUV, and more expensive than many, but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

Re the Mini... I think that the latest models, since about 2017, have a much better layout of the dials, and the speedo is back in its logical position. I also understand from some reading that the latest Countrymans are a lot more reliable than some of the earlier versions or other mini variants (in 2020, WhatCar placed it 4th out of 31 manufacturers, and said that the countrman was the most reliable of all the Minis). Interested (knowing your experience) that you think otherwise - perhaps the whatcar survey is not to be trusted?

Thank you again, and do keep any more suggestions coming!

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - badbusdriver

It's looks are not everyones cup of tea, but apart from that, the Toyota C-HR hybrid ticks all your boxes. The hybrid only comes as an auto, and going by what I have read about them, they are refined (unless you are going flat out) and ride well. They are spacious, though rear passengers may feel a little claustrophobic due to the small windows. Not 100% sure which spec gets what as standard, but looking on Autotrader, it appears the basic Icon spec doesn't have heated seats, but Design and Dynamic and Excel trim do. £20k is enough to get into a 2018/2019 example such as this one; 202107145011793

Re the Mini, the clubman shares its mechanical parts with the BMW X1, but personally I wouldn't have either. Never really looked into the reliability of Mini's (any of them, as they do absolutely nothing for me). But given the reliability of BMW's in general is is not as good as you might expect, I'd expect a car which uses the same platform/drivetrain not to be any different. Also, don't expect a comfortable ride from a Clubman, especially versions with larger wheels (as 90% or more appear to).

Edited by badbusdriver on 09/08/2021 at 16:09

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - badbusdriver

Also, meant to say, you can buy heated seat covers. Be a bit of a faff with phone chargers too, but doable if you got some kind of multi plug adaptor.

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - daveyjp
If you have a localish dealer go and see what Subaru have. XV can be had for your budget. Auto, heated seats and whilst you don’t need it 4wd.

A used model will have remainder of 5 year warranty.
Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - moward

I would second a Toyota CHR also. We have owned one for 6 months now (A hybrid in Dynamic trim), and wifey is overjoyed with it. The hybrid system is automatic and is possibly the smoothest driving transmission one can buy short of a Roller ?? and is also known for being extremely dependable.

Ours has the optional leather seats (most important for wiping down after kids) which are heated and very welcome for those cold morning starts. Dynamic and Excel trims which have the leather seats also come with 18” wheels and 225/50/18 tyres. I’ve found the manufacturer recommended pressures of 33psi a little bit on the high side, at 31, the ride quality is almost perfect. I’ve recently put a set of Crossclimates on (an HJ favourite) and these are very quiet on the move. Interior room is fine for us and two young children and their bulky car seats. Boot more than adequate too.

Economy wise we are getting a little over 50mpg on the daily commute, this is quite a hilly route and bunged with school traffic so you could probably do better. Its still a 25% improvement on our old Suzuki S-Cross which I didn’t think was all that thirsty either. On a recent long motorway trip, I averaged about 64mpg at a steady 70mph and with the aircon on at full tilt (very hot day). At closer to 60 mph I recon over 70 mpg would be possible.

If there’s anything more you’d like to know, please let me know below.

Regards,

M

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - Engineer Andy

Whatever you go for, get a model that has higher profile tyres, because rural roads (from holidaying in the West Country for nearly 20 years now) are not exactly smooth, and they are obviously better on road comfort, put less strain on suspension parts and are less likely to lead ot wheel damage.

Plus they give better mpg and grip better (for the same tyre) in snow or muddy roads as they are normally not so wide. And far cheaper to replace.

(as an example) For the Mazda CX-3 (I own a Mazda3 and have test drive a CX-3), most models for sale tend to be Sport models shod on 18in alloys and low profile tyres. The better value SE-L (Nav) and SE models come shod on softer riding (still fine handling) higher profile 16in rims and tyres.

Admitedly the CX-3, based on the Mazda2 floorpan, is not a particualrly large car, but it might do.

You might want to onsider a Suzuki Vitara, similarish size to most on the list (perhaps a little larger).

Of any car you think about that gets onto your 'final 5' list, check it out for interior comfort.driving position/space for you, passengers and boot space (I always bring things to check its big enough - e.g. suitcases, golf bag, etc) and get a long test drive on a wide variety of roads, especially ones of the type/condition you'll use to get the best indication to whether its a good fit for you.

Don't go on looks if the car isn't right on other crutial fronts like comfort incuding driving position), space and handling/drive.

Make sure the dealership backup is good - some makes don't have that many (well-regarded) dealerships in more rural areas, and with some (sadly, as with Mazda, IMHO) it can be a bit of a lottery where a dealership in your area is good for post-sales maintenance work. I was lucky with mine, others haven't been.

If you're buying a car outside of its warranty period and you have a local indie garage that looks after many makes (and can for those on your final list) and has a good reputation you trust, then that can make things a bit easier. Bear in mind newer cars have a good deal more tech nowadays and some smaller indie garages might not have the required facilities to carry out all aspects of maintenance.

Whatever you go for, get a model that has higher profile tyres, because rural roads (from holidaying in the West Country for nearly 20 years now) are not exactly smooth, and they are obviously better on road comfort, put less strain on suspension parts and are less likely to lead ot wheel damage.

Thanks, and yes, I'm in total agreement about west country roads (and, to be fair on the west country, road quality is pretty poor in much of rural UK). I've never been able to understand why so many cars here seem to be sold with huge wheels/tiny tyres. I've lived in several countries, both European and further afield, and only here do so many people seemingly demand to pay extra for wheel/tyre combinations designed to make the ride worse! And you are correct - of the 5 or 6 CX-3s I have found on autotrader within 40 miles of us, all bar one are the sport variant (which also has a significantly smaller boot, as they fit a large speaker under it which raises the floor by several inches - again, not something we need).

I've often been tempted by the Vitara - unfortunately, it seems they never come with heated seats, so maybe I'll have to see whether that requirement can be dropped (or look into those heated seat covers mentioned earlier)!

I did read into the Subaru (as mentioned earlier) last night - the main issue with that seems to be a pretty poor fuel economy due to its permanent 4WD, so not sure with our milage that makes sense.

Thanks again - lots of good comments.

Small/mid auto SUV - any recs? - catsdad
My daughter's partner bought a 2017 1.6 manual Vitara a few weeks ago. I have only been in it for a short journey as a passenger and it was OK. It feels a bit harder riding and crashing over bumps than my Golf and the soundproofing wasn't as good. Otherwise it was a nice place to be but it is a budget car compared to the others you mention.

At that time there were exceptional bargains on new 1.4 Vitaras on Auto Trader. Around £6k off as I recall. I don't know if the price was tied to finance and I can't see them now but it suggests that there may still be bargains to be had.

Edited by catsdad on 10/08/2021 at 16:50