What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Highway code changes - Dastardly

The highway code changes are all well and good but what about drivers who -

a) no clue whatsoever how to navigate a roundabout

b) no understanding of who has right of way at a junction

c) i**** drivers that think they are doing good by giving way at inappropriate times - which can be super dangerous as it breaks the rules variably

d) drivers don't know how to turn right against oncoming traffic turning left

e) drivers flashing others to proceed when it creates a dangerous manoeuvre for the other driver/s

f) drivers copying other drivers instead of *knowing* what to do

My point is that the level of practical application of the current highway code has eroded and there is a much bigger problem to solve. Practically every time I'm in the car, somebody does something that demonstrates the above.

Personally, I would love to see some new national campaigns to tackle this and remind people that the rules are there for good reason and they work. Ignorance kills.

Rant over.

All - Highway code changes - focussed

Maybe a phased introduction of a theory test pass certificate being required to retain the driving licence or to obtain a hefty insurance discount?

Unfortunately impractical as the test system would in no way cope with the numbers involved.

All - Highway code changes - groaver

"a) no clue whatsoever how to navigate a roundabout."

Yes! Watching Dashcams UK each week never fails to amaze me how many get it utterly wrong through choice or ignorance.

All - Highway code changes - nellyjak

It's all about "Roadcraft"..or the lack of it.

In my day, driving was seen as a privilege....a skill you learnt and then honed..

We were taught awareness and anticipation and the benefits of having some empathy with your vehicle.

Today.?...all that seems to have largely gone.

Driving is seen as a right.... with an overwhelming need to get from A to B in the quickest time possible...and woebetide anyone who gets in the way.

There is little or no empathy with fellow road users or the vehicle being driven..all that matters is the newest number plate.!

I guess the complexity of modern vehicles has a lot to do with that lack of mechanical empathy.

Highway code.?...I suspect many might think that's a PIN number.

All - Highway code changes - Terry W

Honesty compels me:

• the last time I looked at the Highway Code was 12 years ago when youngest daugther learned to drive
  • the time before that - quite possibly 40 years ago teaching now wife to drive

If there is a copy in the house (a) I don't know where it is, and (b) it is probably out of date anyway.

I must be an exception - I am sure all backroomers regularly leaf through a current version just to pass the time, and occassionally before they drive anywhere in case they have forgotten something.

Edited by Terry W on 30/07/2021 at 10:57

All - Highway code changes - Engineer Andy

"a) no clue whatsoever how to navigate a roundabout."

Yes! Watching Dashcams UK each week never fails to amaze me how many get it utterly wrong through choice or ignorance.

Recently, I was out for a walk and an OAP decided to go the wrong way around a roundabout. They presumably got so flustered after coming head-to-head with another car that they reversed back down to their road and went home.

Sadly, my area get a lot of that sort of thing, though mainly drivers coming out of country lanes onto the local dual carriageway and driving the wrong way, despite there being signs.

On the other side of the coin many young and middle aged drivers now think that going the 'straighter' route the other way around mini roundabouts or barrelling straight over the top is a safe way to drive.

All - Highway code changes - Sofa Spud

There is no correct way of doing this. That is the problem. The advice is to turn behind each other if possible. The "if possible" is the sticking point here. What if one driver thinks it's possible and the other doesn't? What if the junction is slightly staggered - do you still attempt to turn behind each other?

I learned to drive in the Home Counties, where drivers tend to turn right behind each other. Try doing that a bit further to the west and see what sort of reaction you get!

All - Highway code changes - sammy1

The new highway code advises drivers to give way to cyclists and pedestrians in certain circumstances. Whoever wrote the new version cannot live in the real world. Theory is a waste of time in this day an age as you cannot trust any driver to do the correct manoeuvre.

All - Highway code changes - Bromptonaut

I suspect you mean two vehicles where both are turning right.

You should pass right to right and then go around the back of each other. Even 40+ years ago when I was learning to drive my instructor was very cautious about actually trying to do so unless it was another driving school car.

Modern signage, often associated with phased traffic lights, sets up a non conflicting manoeuvre where you pass left to left.

All - Highway code changes - sammy1

""""You should pass right to right and then go around the back of each other. Even 40+ years ago when I was learning to drive my instructor was very cautious about actually trying to do so unless it was another driving school car."""""

Yes in normal circumstances but a lot of junctions are designed and marked to pass in front of one another, there is no consistency.

All - Highway code changes - daveyjp

Without road markings its a free for all, but generally ends up being left to left.

Local junction had arrows and boxes for right to right and it worked.

Road was resurfaced, no more arrows and left to left became the norm. Arrows are now back and right to right is on e again order of the day.

It works because its a wide junction and the crossroads aren't at 90 degrees. Right to right sets you up correctly when exiting the junction,

All - Highway code changes - Grenache

I'd also add hogging the middle lane of the motorway at 69.5 mph when the inside lane is clear for miles.

IIRC the ability to cruise in the middle lane was changed some years ago, now advising to stay in the left lane unless overtaking?