What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Stanster

Anyone had a quote to replace the cam belt ( as advised after 75k miles) from a Honda main dealer.

Guys on the civic info forum are saying it's around £1800 ??

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - badbusdriver

Anyone had a quote to replace the cam belt ( as advised after 75k miles) from a Honda main dealer.

Yikes!!

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - SLO76
I thought the £700 quote I had from Volvo to do wife’s XC60 D5 timing and ancillary belts plus minor service was bad!

What is the point in a belt in oil bath design if it doesn’t dramatically enhance the lifespan of the thing? Adds complexity and cost. I’d stick with the chain driven 1.5 and the 1.6 diesel.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/07/2021 at 14:44

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Andrew-T

Presumably if the belt fails within warranty it will be fixed. If it fails later the owner may decide to let things go, and hope.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Engineer Andy

What's it made of - Unicorn skin? Unobtanium?

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Bolt

Partly made of fibreglass apparently specialy made to withstand stretching and reason why mileage change is low, they can damage engine if stretched too much

Been watching this engine with interest for stuff like this. Wasn’t sure if Honda were going to break the cycle of poor long term durability on these small capacity turbos. Not heard any failures but you can guarantee that no one will replace the belt on one if this is the cost. It’ll be neglected and later owners will suffer from it. No idea why Honda reverted to a belt on these and even less idea why they went for a costly to change belt in batch design. I’ll no longer recommend this engine, it’s one to avoid.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/07/2021 at 17:51

*belt in bath
Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Big John

Is this another engine with the cam belt in oil?

The Ford 1.0 EcoBoost is also such an engine and this has a very expensive cam belt change as you have to half strip the engine to access.

These are not engines to own on a long-term basis as when car is a few years old the cost of a cambelt change could effectively write it off

Edited by Big John on 28/07/2021 at 18:53

The Ford 1.0 EcoBoost is also such an engine and this has a very expensive cam belt change as you have to half strip the engine to access.

These are not engines to own on a long-term basis as when car is a few years old the cost of a cambelt change could effectively write it off

I was thinking of buying the 1.0 Turbo next year but after reading the same forum as OP will now get the 1.5 Turbo as the oil dilution problem is now fixed, though it was caused by driving short distances which I don`t do

Having seen the photo of this unit and how tight it is under the bonnet, I can understand why its so expensive.

unless they do as in production put whole unit in -in one large lump and just reverse install to remove engine, it must be a pain to do, I have watched the production video and the front from engine on is one complete unit to save time in production

But I don`t envy the mechanic doing the cambelt due to work involved

Honda-1.0-turbo-05.jpg (1600×1559) (bp.blogspot.com)

They only used a cambelt to keep weight down for emmisions which Honda wanted as low as possible it might prevent people buying it though at that cost?

Edited by Bolt on 29/07/2021 at 07:54

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - focussed

I would think that the cam belt job on that motor is going to be an engine out exercise, engine+gearbox+subframe out from underneath, like the powertrain is installed in production in reverse, is going to be quicker and get better access to the front of the engine, even it's possible to do the job with the engine in situ.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - RJ414i

My parents bought a 1l Focus brand new in 2012 (62 reg) and I was talking to them about the cambelt yesterday. They have checked with the local Ford dealership (now closed) and an independent and they both stated that their engine had a chain!

I'm confused.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Xileno

Odd the Ford dealer doesn't know about their cars.

It's belt:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/44046/fiesta-eco...m-

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - RJ414i

I had to take the works Transit for another recall today and mentioned the car to the gent behind the service desk. He quickly checked and said it was a belt and total cost to change would be £1550!

My parents are getting a 69 reg 1.2 Toyota Corolla next week, there in their 70's so should see their driving days out.

Edited by RJ414i on 29/07/2021 at 21:13

Partly made of fibreglass apparently specialy made to withstand stretching and reason why mileage change is low, they can damage engine if stretched too much

They should've stayed with chaincam engines - it's not as though the top Japanese makes ever had significant issues with them.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - bathtub tom

They should've stayed with chaincam engines - it's not as though the top Japanese makes ever had significant issues with them.

Nissan did around twenty years ago. They were reputedly made of cheese, although I had no problems with the one I had. It may have had something to do with the 2.7L sump capacity and the propensity for the average motorist not to bother about oil changes.

Nissan did around twenty years ago. They were reputedly made of cheese, although I had no problems with the one I had.

True, but I did say top Japanese makes. :-)

It may have had something to do with the 2.7L sump capacity and the propensity for the average motorist not to bother about oil changes.

Given that oil changes, are the number one item for maintenance, whatever the vehicle, then cam chain failure cannot (solely at least) be blamed on the car manufacturer.

I too never had any issue on that score with my 1996 build Micra. I'm wondering if the problems began after Nissan joined up with Renault.

I'm still amazed though at how Honda's once bulletproof reliability has withered, yet they have to design a semmingly overly-complex and thus very expensive part (which should be relatively modestly-priced) to 'fit' into the spacious engine bay of quite a large car with only a 1L engine (yes, it has a turbo, but still).

Sadly, I can see why people are leaving the Honda brand in their droves for other makes - after all, why pay high prices for a car that frankly doesn't match expectations based on prior experience?

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - FoxyJukebox
Horrendous cost. Forgive the question if seeming silly-but do electric cars have cam belts etc?
Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - elekie&a/c doctor
No cam belts on EVs . Basically a giant electric toothbrush.
Horrendous cost. Forgive the question if seeming silly-but do electric cars have cam belts etc?

Nope, they’ve very few moving parts actually. The problems come from battery packs and charging system failures.
Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - madf

Nope, they’ve very few moving parts actually. The problems come from battery packs and charging system failures.

I was thinking of buying a used BMW i3 and thus joined various BMW forums and Facebook and read and read.

If it's a BMW i3 , and you can't diy, you look in for a very expensive time after warranty expired.

Known fault? No recall? Please pay dealer £125/hour to diagnose it ( I said a known fault) and £0000s to fix.

My advice: unless you can diy, don't buy without a warrntny. And BMW parts are not cheap.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Galaxy

Looks like that Honda Civic engine is yet another one to be avoided at all costs, then!

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - badbusdriver

Looks like that Honda Civic engine is yet another one to be avoided at all costs, then!

Not if buying new and planning to get shot of it well inside 75k miles (and you don't care about subsequent owners)!

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Stanster

It's 75k or 6 years according to the forum.

6 year service is a major service at eye watering prices, saying close to 3k if you have it all done at the same time.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - catsdad

So if the belt is £1.8k then the rest of the service is £1.2k? My old Mk9 had Honda fsh until seven years old and I only spent a little over £1.2k in total for the six years/ services I had it. And that included free MoT and breakdown cover.

Either the new model is very expensive to service (in addition to the belt) or is someone factoring in something else. Such as new brake pads and discs which could well need attention at that age but are not automatic service items.

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Galaxy

Not if buying new and planning to get shot of it well inside 75k miles (and you don't care about subsequent owners)!

Well I'm afraid I wouldn't be buying new so I'd be buying something that probably faced needing a cambelt change in a year or two's time - So I would consequently avoid!

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - Boris Pretzel

I bought the 1l civic in late 2018 and have just found out about the year 6 (or 75k) super expensive extra service. Very disapointed as I would not have bought that version had I known this was coming. Current Honda price (in the London area) is over £2k! And it seems that this engine is in fact the sam as teh Ford 1 l turbo (or at least that is what one of the dealers told me!)
Now I am wondering whether there is anything I and other owners who bough this engie can do to recover teh cost. Honda really ought to have made this information available to prospective owners at the time of selling!

Very poor show Honda - and not a good ad for the last Honda cars built in the UK!

The dealer meant that they use the same timing belt design but aside from engine size that’s where the similarities end, it’s not the same engine at all. I haven’t heard of any failures on this engine and rumour has it that Honda UK are profiteering by recommending a far shorter belt interval than is necessary. I certainly wouldn’t pay the money to do the job, I’d leave it well alone and just run the car. A belt in oil bath design should last the life of the car and thus the reason why it’s so complex and costly to do, it was never designed to be done. Just drive it and ignore the dealers attempts to fleece you.
Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - daveyK_UK
Honda have gone down hill, let’s be perfectly honest.

The UK and arguably European market doesn’t matter to Honda, it’s an after thought.

They don’t offer a lot of models and they have rarely offered much of a discount even prior to Covid.

I am a big Honda fan , the Honda engines on rovers, the Honda civics, Shuttles, HRV, Legend, Jazz and accords of the past have been good cars.

But now what do they really offer?

A very good car in the Jazz that looks hideously complicated and expensive should it go wrong out of warranty and it’s not exactly good value starting at £21k!
A Civic with a 1.0 engine to avoid, issues with the 1.5 as well
A CRV which is no better or worse than anything offered by Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, etc but it starts at £33k !
The HRV is unbelievably expensive at £30k upwards
The E a lovely car but £34k plus and nothing special in terms of range or features.

They have also lost a good number of dealerships over the past 10 years and not replaced them including in major cities.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 22/08/2022 at 22:32

Honda Civic 1 litre turbo - Cam belt change 75k - John F
...... rumour has it that Honda UK are profiteering by recommending a far shorter belt interval than is necessary.

It would be interesting to know if this is just UK advice.

...... I’d leave it well alone and just run the car. A belt in oil bath design should last the life of the car and thus the reason why it’s so complex and costly to do, it was never designed to be done.

Good to see this opinion. I think it makes sense. Modern cambelts, if properly made, are extremely durable and probably stretch less than chains after high mileages. Our rusty old Focus went to the scrapyard 21yrs old with its original cam and poly-v belts at 162,000 miles. Its replacement Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech engine has a BIO. Early versions were blighted by a bad batch of belts which crumbled, causing much damage to many engines and Peugeot's reputation. But I have no intention of ever changing its belt despite Peugeot's introduction of cautious change intervals, unless it fails its width test or looks suspiciously worn. In the last few years squillions of these excellent engines have been made, racking up the miles all over the world in lots of different car models with no further significant problems AFAIK.

Also, chain cams are by no means trouble free. All those tiny links can stretch slightly, and their roller joints wear, causing elongation which confuses timing mechanisms and sensors. Some Nissans and the ubiquitous 'Prince' engines were prone to this. There is a fascinating east european bearded u-tube v.a.g. mechanic who makes a good living repairing old Audi chain cam engines. They can also destroy their guides which can disintegrate, wrecking the engine.