What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car Insurance EXCESS question - FoxyJukebox

Just been surfing the comparison sites for good car insurance deals-interesting. Questions plse.

I see that there are two excess options- a compulsory and a voluntary. So if the compulsory excess is £200 and I also opt for a voluntary excess of -say-£250--then I have to pay the first £450 of any claim-yes?

If I just tick the compulsory box-I only pay the first £200 of any claim but of course the annual premium will be raised?

I suppose all this is a smoke and mirrors way of enticing customers. i've also noticed that very often the cheapest quoted insurances have none of the bells and whistles like legal cover , breakdown, personal insurance added without you ticking the pay £extra box.

Final observation-for the first time ever I've noticed the huge difference in prices between the cheapest insurance quoted and the most expensive.If what's on offer is what you want--what is the point of deliberately paying for the most expensive quoted insurance other than be convinced of a well known brand name or a company that potentially offers greater customer care?

Car Insurance EXCESS question - _

I am with LV, have been for a good few years now.

Excess as above, no legal cover, car hire, etc etc. I just pay my premium without any addons.

Works for me., but some people like "everything" covered.

Car Insurance EXCESS question - Andrew-T

Surely these terms are to reduce the number of small or 'vexatious' claims. It would be ridiculous to expect companies to pay out for £100 repairs which policyholders would be better off just paying.

Car Insurance EXCESS question - Miniman777

You will find the prices at the top of the price comparison list have compulsory AND voluntary excesses. It's all a clever bit of marketing to make you thing 'ooh, that's not a bad price...'.

Also, comparison sites dont include Churchill or Direct Line (both parts of UK Insurance) and you can often, depending on car and driving record, find a similar or lower price with a lower excess.

To eliminate petty claims, most companies now insist on a minimum excess, which in most no fault accidents can be reclaimed from the other party. What you need to avoid is two big excesses, vol and compulsory, like the £450 you indicate.

As always, shop around for insurance, there a no benefits for loyalty. Also bear in mind if you have a premium brand car, ie Mini/BMW, then their insurance brands will be competitive but offer repairs at an approved BMW/Mini bodyshop using OEM parts. That wont be the case with many others, as they have dealer with big repair chains and will use non-OEM parts to keep cost of claim down. I once had a Mondeo repaired after I rear ended someone and within 3 years of the accident the only rust on the car was on the wing which had been replaced.

I've never taken personal insurance, and is your legal cover from a house policy valid? DOnt pay twice for cover. Breakdown cover - again, shop around

As for 'customer care', does such a thing exist any more?

One other suggestion, some of the cash back sites can link you to a policy where after x weeks, you get £35 to £80 back, depending on provider. This can ease the cost.

Finally, install a dash cam if you haven't already. Can save a lot of post accident arguments between insurers after the other party changes their story and tries to blames you 100%.