What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - _

I was driving along "restaurant alley" here the other day and just missed one who swerved out with his big backpack on his back.

Is this legal for commercial use?

Edited by _ORB_ on 18/07/2021 at 20:42

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooetrs - badbusdriver

I was driving along "restaurant alley" here the other day and just missed one who swerved out with his big backpack on his back.

Is this legal for commercial use?

If, by E Scooter, you mean like a Vespa/Honda Cub type thing, yes.

If you mean the things you stand up on, and (in the olden days!) you'd propel with your foot, I wouldn't think there was any difference than privately owned ones. That is to say, they are not 'legal' transport anywhere other than private land (unless, inexplicably, they are hire scooters). But because there are so many, and the Police are not exactly short of things to do do (and because of the paperwork involved), I don't think the Police are too bothered about them.

It is only a matter of time before they do become legal, they are ideal urban transport, light enough to carry up a flight of stairs, and relatively affordable. Plus, what with there being no immediate signs of Covid giving up and going home, having an E Scooter means you can get about a town or city easily without having to get on a (potentially crowded) bus or train.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooetrs - daveyjp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

The Met took 500 off the streets of London in a week.

I have also seen e-bikes in our area which are more akin to a scramble bike. One driven by a young lad overtook me whilst I was doing 40mph.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooetrs - bathtub tom

Local plod had a crackdown on them a couple of weeks ago. There's noticeably fewer around and there's lots for sale on social media,

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Andrew-T

As they seem to have much the same capability as a normal (or assisted) push-bike, the same rules should apply - viz they shouldn't be ridden at speed in spaces reserved for pedestrians. For obvious reasons.

Possibly missing the point of my post, which could have been clearer.

I am not against them, ridden reponsibly,

But the question of using the insured ones that are available for trials here and there, USING them for commercial work, ie, deliveroo or just eat.

A few weeks back I posted that I had seen one involved with a taxi the rider having a shouting match, his food delivery on the road.

Are they insured for this type of use.?

Methinks not...

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - sammy1

I do not know about the legality of the way Deliveroo conduct their business but push bikes and scooter riders with the pack on their backs looks pretty unstable to me and should in my opinion not be mixing with traffic

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - focussed

Habitually ridden by wannabe organ donors like this?

www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/dash-cam-videos/moment-e-.../

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Sofa Spud

E scooters might be a problem but they're nothing like as big a problem as screaming superbikes being ridden at twice the national speed limit and chronically backfiring boy-racer hatchbacks. The police's time would be better spent getting those off the roads.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/07/2021 at 11:43

I have just had a conversation with 2 of Essex finest in Blue.

Licensed e-scooters are for personal useonly. not insured for any commercial use.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - badbusdriver

I have just had a conversation with 2 of Essex finest in Blue.

Licensed e-scooters are for personal useonly. not insured for any commercial use.

Do you suppose the fast food delivery drivers who use a car or an ICE moped/motorbike to deliver, have an insurance policy which allows them to use their vehicle for commercial use?.

Do you suppose the fast food delivery drivers who use a car or an ICE moped/motorbike to deliver, have an insurance policy which allows them to use their vehicle for commercial use?.

Delivery drivers using their own vehicles SHOULD have specific insurance.

Round here there are frequent checks on them and lots are still being picked up for mobile phone use, using the app while driving etc, and yes, insurance checks too.

Edited by _ORB_ on 18/07/2021 at 15:54

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Bromptonaut

My son delivered for Dominos while waiting for his Civil Service posting to come through.

Insurance was arranged by the company.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - dan86

My son delivered for Dominos while waiting for his Civil Service posting to come through.

Insurance was arranged by the company.

But that was him being directly employed by Domino's or the franchise, it's how it worked when I did pizza delivery for pizza hut but Uber eats just eat etc are all self-employed so I presume must have to sort out their own insurance. I looked at doing it for some extra cash and to sign up you have to provide proof of the correct insurance if using a motor vehicle but not if using a bicycle

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - daveyjp

Insurance provided by the likes of Domino's etc is usually occasional business use which is to cover for third party claims.

If you want fully comp you need to ensure your own policy has delivery insurance.

Just to recap,

I learned from our neighbour that her son fell off his e-scooter last night, was unconcious for 10 minutes and was taken to hospital.

Not wearing a helmet.

Doh>>>>>

Edited by _ORB_ on 18/07/2021 at 19:34

Just to recap,

I learned from our neighbour that her son fell off his e-scooter last night, was unconcious for 10 minutes and was taken to hospital.

Not wearing a helmet.

Doh>>>>>

So it being an e-scooter wasn't really a factor then, just that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Had he came off a bicycle or skateboard without a helmet, the result would probably have been the same.

So it being an e-scooter wasn't really a factor then, just that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Had he came off a bicycle or skateboard without a helmet, the result would probably have been the same.

But, an unlicensed e scooter... cheap knockoff with puny wheels and going as fast as he could, naturally on the footpath...

Lucky boy to have got away with it.

Yes, it could have had the same result on a bike or skateboard...

But, an unlicensed e scooter... cheap knockoff with puny wheels and going as fast as he could, naturally on the footpath...

Lucky boy to have got away with it.

Yes, it could have had the same result on a bike or skateboard...

At the very least, it should make him wear a helmet from now on..........

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Ethan Edwards

Sadly I don't think Britain is ready for e Scòoters. Which is a shame. I have personally seen them working great in Brisbane. But there they have massive less crowded pavements and somehow the driving experience felt less intense. So no I don't think they are suitable for the uk.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Terry W

The e-scooter is not the problem.

The problem is some of the inconsiderate numbskulls who like to ride them.

They exist. Laws which are either unenforced or unenforceable are a waste of parliamentary time and paper.

Ridden more thoughtfully like any other two wheeled device they should be a quick, safe and cheap way to get around town.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - bathtub tom

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9800365/Man-20-ar...l

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9800365/Man-20-ar...l

Not sure what the relevance is?. The driver of the car was over the limit and failed to stop. The boy could have been on foot, on a bicycle, or a skateboard, the fact that he was on an e-scooter is incidental.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Miniman777

Leaving aside being over the limit, the accident was at 01.20 in the morning, so probably no lights, dark clothing etc. Could have been hit by a sober driver.

These scooters are a menace - watched one sail through a set of lights in Clapham yesterday, and narrowly avoided being squashed by bus. He just carried on.....

Traffic is difficult enough with pedestrians listening to music unaware of their surroundings; Uber's pulling out/doing U-turns, food delivery moped riders without adding another hazard for drivers to look out for. Time they were banned.

Leaving aside being over the limit, the accident was at 01.20 in the morning, so probably no lights, dark clothing etc. Could have been hit by a sober driver.

These scooters are a menace - watched one sail through a set of lights in Clapham yesterday, and narrowly avoided being squashed by bus. He just carried on.....

Traffic is difficult enough with pedestrians listening to music unaware of their surroundings; Uber's pulling out/doing U-turns, food delivery moped riders without adding another hazard for drivers to look out for. Time they were banned.

Other than the hire scooters they're already banned.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - alan1302

Have seen cyclists/motor bikers/car drivers/van and lorry drivers do the same. Should they be banned as well?

Have seen cyclists/motor bikers/car drivers/van and lorry drivers do the same. Should they be banned as well?

No, just the mad riders/drivers. But we know that doesn't work, so we just have to live with it.

There is no real difference between riding a moped and an E-scooter as both riders are a road user, as the scooters are not supposed to be ridden on pavements.

To be able to ride a moped at 16 years old you have to have a provisional licence, and pass a CBT course before being allowed to ride on the road.

"Your trainer can stop your compulsory basic training (CBT) course if your basic knowledge of The Highway Code and traffic signs is not good enough for you to ride safely. You need to know the main rules that apply to moped and motorcycle riders and what other road users are likely to do"

It is not acceptable to allow riders of e-scooters to be let loose on the roads without any training or knowledge of of how to behave or use the road, as witness my previous post of a stupid e-scooter rider colliding with a car.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Warning

Quite a few these delivery drivers are making videos of their journeys.

I Accepted EVERY Order and made £... Deliveroo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqypXefv_Fc

Interesting insight into their world. A few of their videos show them jumping red lights. I guess they are under incentive to get the food delivered quick and pick up another order....

""There is no real difference between riding a moped and an E-scooter as both riders are a road user, as the scooters are not supposed to be ridden on pavements."

I have been watching the way these e-scooters are being ridden. It seems that the rider has to adopt a very upright position obviously standing and you are not able to bank them over as much as a moped or bike. The very small wheels on an e-scooter makes them more vulnerable to cracks and holes in the road. Have these e-scooters any suspension and how do the brakes perform in an emergency stop for instance? I wonder if the design and stopping power besides the vulnerability of riders will have any bearing on whether they are made legal? Will if made legal will they have to have some sort of regular safety checks like other vehicles? Cannot see any justification for them being licenced if not

""There is no real difference between riding a moped and an E-scooter as both riders are a road user, as the scooters are not supposed to be ridden on pavements."

I have been watching the way these e-scooters are being ridden. It seems that the rider has to adopt a very upright position obviously standing and you are not able to bank them over as much as a moped or bike. The very small wheels on an e-scooter makes them more vulnerable to cracks and holes in the road. Have these e-scooters any suspension and how do the brakes perform in an emergency stop for instance? I wonder if the design and stopping power besides the vulnerability of riders will have any bearing on whether they are made legal? Will if made legal will they have to have some sort of regular safety checks like other vehicles? Cannot see any justification for them being licenced if not

It's not the e--scooter's mechanical competence or lack of it - it's the untrained and totally out of control riders.

As a life long motorcyclist I could probably make a reasonable fist of riding one these in a safe manner but I'm not about to try.

Why?

They are too small and slow, have no road presence, cannot keep up with other road traffic and cannot dominate their lane if ridden on the road.

They should be restricted to cycle lanes and off road tracks and the riders should have to achieve some form of minimum training standard like the motorcycle CBT.

They are too small and slow, have no road presence, cannot keep up with other road traffic and cannot dominate their lane if ridden on the road.

I've been overtaken by one doing over 40MPH. I've even seen some with a seat on.

Now a 3year old girl hit by one of these yesterday and in hospital with serious injuries. This policy of evening trialling these things should be ended as soon as possible. Common sense says e-scooters and for that matter bikes should not be mixing with pedestrians. The little girl was injured in a park, if you cannot be safe here where else is there? Life should not be a lottery for the innocent where these things are concerned.

Now a 3year old girl hit by one of these yesterday and in hospital with serious injuries. This policy of evening trialling these things should be ended as soon as possible. Common sense says e-scooters and for that matter bikes should not be mixing with pedestrians. The little girl was injured in a park, if you cannot be safe here where else is there? Life should not be a lottery for the innocent where these things are concerned.

Bit early for that conclusion.

Broadly the hire machines are allowed where bikes are. Other than on a shared cycleway, where they should be ridden with care, they are not allowed to be mixing with pedestrians. Although hire scooters are present in Lambeth we don't know if the one involved was legal/hired or not. Can only hope the youth riding it comes forward.

I wonder what the nature of the little girl's injuries are. The fact they worsened suggests possibility of internal bleeding or a brain injury.

Would you have banned cars when they first come out after the first person was injured?

"""Would you have banned cars when they first come out after the first person was injured?"""

So they had cars charging around in parks and on the pavement did they? Is that the best contribution you can make?

So they had cars charging around in parks and on the pavement did they? Is that the best contribution you can make?

If you think about it they were charging around on roads built for walking/driving stock and partially upgraded to accommodate horses.

That's why they had red flags.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Alby Back
I'd quite like to see a ban on banning things for a while. We must have got well ahead of the game by now. Well, except caravans of course, they need to go...

;-))

"""Would you have banned cars when they first come out after the first person was injured?"""

The scooters are already banned for use in parks and pavements - so banning them is pointless as it's already been done! LOL

Back in the day cars were seen as very dangerous.

<< Would you have banned cars when they first come out after the first person was injured? >>

Completely different ball game. Motor vehicles were owned by the wealthy, who made up most of the electorate. A ban would not be considered.

Legal for deliveroo. just eat. - E scooters - Rerepo

Saw what I can only describe as an 'electric trials bike' blasting along the pavement today. Big thing with a very large battery pack and motor on it.

I've been overtaken by one doing over 40MPH. I've even seen some with a seat on.

If you read up on what speed the toys that are the subject of this thread are supposed to be restricted to, I think you will find that they are not supposed to be doing 40 mph.

If it's doing that speed it's either some other class of e-toy or has been tampered with.

If it's doing that speed it's either some other class of e-toy or has been tampered with.

Local plod have stated 'some are capable of 50MPH'.

If you read up on what speed the toys that are the subject of this thread are supposed to be restricted to, I think you will find that they are not supposed to be doing 40 mph.

I believe the subject of this thread is e scooters, not toys. Doubtful anyone would be using a toy e scooter to deliver takeaways?.

Also, re performance, 20 seconds on Amazon and I can find E Scooters with (claimed) top speeds of 85-100km/h.

This was about the use of the SPIN rental scooters here in Colchester.

Have had a reply from mgr customer relations.

They should not be used for food delivery.

Spin would recover costs from the rider, or. Hirer in case of an accident.

Spin would recover costs from the rider, or. Hirer in case of an accident.

Yeah, right!