What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
claim repair / MOT due - davelister88

Hi all,

My girlfriend was involved in a non-fault accident.
Her car suffered a low impact hit in the rear drivers side.
The insurers garage is unable to get the bumper until at least 6 weeks time due to the pandemic.

In the meantime the MOT is due in the next 10 days.
It would seem the only aspect of damage the car will fail its MOT on is a broken light/reflector.

Where does she stand on repairing only the light/reflector privately in the next 10 days to get the car through its MOT so she can drive the car whilst waiting for the garage to obtain the bumper? Will repairing the light/reflector be considered as tampering with the damage and null void the insurance claim? Any guidance is appreciated.

Dave

Edited by davelister88 on 15/07/2021 at 21:49

claim repair / MOT due - elekie&a/c doctor

I would have thought if the rear light is that badly damaged, then the car shouldn't be on the road ,mot or no mot. By all means get yourself a new or s/hand light to get you by. Can't see it makes any difference to the insurance claim.

claim repair / MOT due - Bromptonaut

I'm not reading anything in the OP to say how badly damaged the light cluster is. AIUI any crack that shows white light in a coloured area is a fail. Glue would probably be a fail too as the lens would not be true.

As long as there's nothing hanging off or exposed that might damage another vehicle or a person then you shoud be OK driving.

I very much doubt that it will have any effect whatever on the claim but if in doubt speak to the insurer.

claim repair / MOT due - Ian_SW

If the car would fail its MOT in the current condition, it is not road worthy and shouldn't be being driven. In that case, the third parties insurance company should provide a replacement car hire, whilst waiting for parts, as part of the claim.

If it's been classified as still safe to drive by the insurance assessor, it should also pass the MOT.

Assuming the insurance people have said its safe to drive, I'd put it in for the MOT as it is, and then if it fails get on to the insurance company to provide a replacement car, until the repair can be completed. You may find that the "because Covid" delay tp obtain parts miraculously becomes much shorter too once the hire car is costing the insurance company money too.....

claim repair / MOT due - Ian_SW

If the car would fail its MOT in the current condition, it is not road worthy and shouldn't be being driven. In that case, the third parties insurance company should provide a replacement car hire, whilst waiting for parts, as part of the claim.

If it's been classified as still safe to drive by the insurance assessor, it should also pass the MOT.

Assuming the insurance people have said its safe to drive, I'd put it in for the MOT as it is, and then if it fails get on to the insurance company to provide a replacement car, until the repair can be completed. You may find that the "because Covid" delay tp obtain parts miraculously becomes much shorter too once the hire car is costing the insurance company money too.....

claim repair / MOT due - davelister88

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses.

Sorry I was getting fed little information myself. I have now seen the car myself, it is not a light, all lights are fine.

However a reflector at the bottom of the car which whilst cracked in parts is all there with exception of a tiny hole the size of a 50p piece. It reflects lights, so unsure if that is classed as an MOT issue.

Assuming it is an MOT issue, would repairing this null and void the insurance claim as I suspect bumper parts would need to be removed in order to get this replaced?

I understand asking the insurer directly however I suspect they will always give the answer yes it will null and void regardless whether it is factually true or not. What is the true the legal stance on where a car owner stands with regards to repairing bit of damage?

There is caution due to the age of the car and the possibility that the insurance company may likely seize the car and write it off due to cosmetic damage with exception of the reflector. So my girlfriend is reluctant to put it through the insurance and getting the car through its MOT will bide her more to weigh up whether to put it through insurance as they will repair it or being sure they are going to write it off to repair the car privately and take the hit.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

claim repair / MOT due - elekie&a/c doctor
I wouldn’t worry too much about the accident damage at the moment. Just put the car through an mot and find out if there are any other issues lurking. If the car is over 10 years old with minor damage, and possibly more not visible , chances are it will be a write off .
claim repair / MOT due - sammy1

Why not ask the garage if the damage is that bad that it will fail the MOT. You do not say what car it is or how old, By the sound of it you will probably be better off not claiming and I would try and get second hand parts. A reflector if needed for most cars on Ebay for instance would not be much and a DIY job for most. Damage to plastic bumpers is common and in some cases can be plastic welded depending. If you say new to most garages they will go this way. Have you tried a small independent body shop, any bumper would need spraying in any case and they would know where to get a second hand one