What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Topic ?? Reliability - Paul Robinson
I?m always interested to hear stories of cars that never breakdown, have backroomers had any particularly outstanding experiences of reliability?

(Apologies to those backroomers who make their living from repairing cars that do breakdown!)
Re: New Topic ?? Reliability - Paul Robinson
When I wrote 'breakdown' I meant to say 'go wrong', even I don't breakdown much these days!
Re: New Topic ?? Reliability - Michael
not sure whether it is outstanding but we bought a 1.6 primera in aug 95. Apart from two sets of tyres, 1 set of front pads and regular servicing, nothing has gone wrong at all. Not so much as a hiccup from the engine. At the time of buying, it was regarded as one of the most reliable cars in a number of company car fleet surveys and has proved to be a good buy.
Re: New Topic ?? Reliability - Phil Goodacre
How about a 1992 Citroen ZX Deisel with 76k on the clock. Never broken down, or failed MOT. Still has its original battery & exhaust with only replacements being other wear and tear items like brake pads, tyres and a handbrake cable. Amazing what regular maintenance can acheive along with thorough washing of wheel arches and underside. Tempting providence now I guess.
Re: New Topic ?? Reliability - Ian Cook
Yes, and the car was an E93A Ford Popular. It was utterly reliable because it was, essentially, a side valve horseless cart.

However, it's reliability must be regarded in the context of what constitues a breakdown. To me, this means that it either stopped or wouldn't start.

It only stopped if I ran it out of petrol (frequently) but would always start with a flat battery (that's what starting handles were for). The battery went flat because it was worn out and I couldn't afford to replace it.

It would boil, particularly if you'd run it flat out (65mph) for a few miles and then had to stop in traffic - it had no water pump, only a thermo-syphon radiator. A stop at the roadside for a ten minute fag soon let it cool.

It was my first car and I never spent a penny on it, other than petrol, in nearly a year.
Re: New Topic ?? Reliability - jan david
suzuki swift gti (japanese made not hungary or wherever the other swifts come from)

great car with no problems in many years of ownership at all

apart from ****s nicking the stereo and driving into the back of it - but you can hardly blame suzuki for that

totally reliable, very under rated by the press

shame they stopped making them
Reliability - Darcy Kitchin
Had an "E" reg Vauxhall Victor with 3-speed column change and bench front seat bought with new tax & MoT for £45 and sold a year later for £15 without MoT. Put about 25K miles on it. Used old engine oil. It never broke down or failed to start. Back box dropped off it in middle of Leeds. Never spent a penny on it apart from petrol. Bangernomics rule!

One of its many endearing features was driver's door flying open occasionally on left-hand bends 'cos the catch was broken. One night, leaving work in a foul mood about midnight, having failed to solve an obscure software problem, the door popped open. It struck a low wall at about 30 mph. The door never opened again. At all. Thank goodness for the bench seat.
Re: Reliability - Chris
Pug 309 Diesel. Bought it when it was ten years old, changed cambelt, tyres, oil etc, and one wheel bearing in nearly fifty thousand miles. Broke down (as in stopped) once, when a battery connection came loose. And it averaged 54 miles to the gallon in the five years I had it. Brilliant car. Is the 306 as good?

Chris
Re: Reliability - Dave
When I had to be resued by the RAC two weeks ago, their man reckoned he was rarely called out to Toyotas.

DH
Re: Reliability - Andrew Smith
The only car that myself or my family have ever owned that was unreliable was a Vauxhall Carlton (C reg I think) that my father owned when I was younger. Other cars I've encountered had had parts wear out but this one just kept breaking down. First the back axle went, then the downpipe got cracked (it went through two of these I think). The inlet mainifold working itself loose so that the engine would stall. Electrics started going funny so that the engine would just stop. An RAC man idetified a section of wiring loom that you could wiggle to get the engine started again. I remember my dad asked which type of car they got least call outs on and the reply was Toyotas.

The Carlton was duly replaced with a Toyota Carina II (D reg one of the blobby shaped ones) which proved faultless. He sold it to me and it saw me through university. I sold it at 120000 miles (still ran fine but had got a little thirsty) and I still rate it as the best car I've ever owned.

Since then he replaced the Carina with a Camry and the Camry has just been replaced with an Avensis so all in all he seems happy with Toyotas.
Re: Reliability - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Bought a Nissan Bluebird Turbo new in 1985, ran it for 10 years and 80k miles. Never missed a beat. sold it to a friend who put 30k on it in two years and never spent a penny on it other than continuing the servicing at 3k intervals and is still on the road today at 150k with the ORIGINAL turbo, brake calipers.Only additional expense was a radiator at 50k, punctured by a stone.
Re: Reliability - Nikolas Nikolaides
Hi,

My name is Nick, and I, unfortunately, own a Vauxhall Carlton, which is cutting out without any warning ( on motorways, etc !! )

I noticed your message and was wondering if you could tell me which part of the wiring loom was coming loose ( if you remember ! )

This problem has baffled countless mechanics and the AA.

Thanks for your help.

Nick
Re: Reliability - Malcolm
Honda Civic 1.5LSI 1992, Apart from usual servicing items I have only had to replace the radiator in 160000 miles, has never failed to start, never broken down and still has the original battery! how's that for reliability. I hope to get to 200000 miles in this car in 2 years time.
However the latest 2001 Civic Aerodeck Which I bought back in March has had quite a few problems which I described in an earlier thread because unlike the 1992 Civic this one was built in Swindon not Japan.
Regards Malcolm.
Re: Reliability - Andrew Hamilton
I think cars are sensitive to the driver. If they have someone who knows how to maintain them, they do not cause trouble. Let an inexperienced driver take over and disaster follows! Just like owning a pet really.
Re: Reliability - Michael
Andrew, thought you were going to liken it to a wife then...phew!
Re: Reliability - Andrew Hamilton
I know my place. Any comments regarding wives will never come from me. I wish to live!
Re: Reliability - Andy
I owned a used Toyota Corolla for 6 years, during which it spent most of its life doing short (less than 5 miles) journeys.
It was serviced once per year and never showed any problems, not even a bulb. It just about needed a new backbox when I traded it in.....for a new Rover 200/25. Apart from a noisy electric window, this has been perfect for 3 years.
As far as being sensitive to owners - I used to be in the TV repair trade, and TV sets belonging to 'nice' families suffered far fewer breakdowns than those rented out to er, scroty households.
Re: Reliability - Brian
Pug 309 diesel, bought at 30k, ran for 7 years and a further 90k.
Only items replaced, other than consumables were the radiator and the front discs, plus the exhaust once.
Fuel consumption was 50-55 mpg according to traffic conditions and it towed a heavily laden sailing dinghy down to Bordeaux several times plus a caravan round Germany once and half a dozen times in the UK. Consumption towing was around 40 mpg.
Re: Reliability - Dave Etchells
50k on the unloved 1988 Ford Orion bought in 1992. Apart from consumables, battery, tyres, etc. One wheel bearing in five years motoring. I sold it on at 96k miles in 1997 and saw it three years later, looking a bit worse for wear but still going. It never failed too start, nor has any other Ford we have owned. The sting in the Orion tale? It's replacement. I pushed the boat out and bought a 6 month old Alfa 155. What an unreliable lump that was, it went after 18 months to be replaced by another Ford.