What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW E90 - bulb has failed - willsmith2473

Hey guys,

My driver side dipped beam bulb blew yesterday morning and I think the bulb has failed or there is some issue with it. Please let me know is there any way to fix it by myself.

also, while searching for the replacement bulb online, I found these bulbs link deleted but i am not sure if they will do the job. Has anyone here tried this manufacturer before or do you guys have any other recommendations? Please suggest

Edited by Xileno on 08/07/2021 at 19:23

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - Miniman777
Halfords offer a bulb replacement service. No idea of costs or how competent they may be.
BMW E90 - bulb has failed - elekie&a/c doctor
Stick with a regular H 7 bulb from Osram or Philips. All those copy xenons are rubbish.
BMW E90 - bulb has failed - catsdad

If you Google e90 bulb replacement it will take you to a YouTube video. You need to take off an access panel in the wheel arch trim and then unclip the bulb holder/housing and simply stick a new one in. It looks like a 5-10 minute job. It’s not as fiddly as some I have done as access looks good.

However although it’s not a complex job, if you are not sure of your ability to do it then Halfords seem to charge about £8 for a straightforward change. Plus about the same for the bulb. They will give you an exact price if you call them.

PS. As for competence, the teenage son of a guy I worked with used to work at Halfords as a temp and was soon doing simple bulb changes. But even if you go to a main dealer jobs like this will be done by the most junior staff.

Edited by catsdad on 08/07/2021 at 16:32

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - bathtub tom

Surprised the mods haven't removed the link.

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - Xileno

I thought about it earlier but gave the benefit of the doubt. However, now the OP has had some useful replies, there is no need for it anymore so I've deleted it. Thanks for the prompt.

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - catsdad
I see the link for Hxxxxx in my post. I don't know why my use of the company name created it as a link. It wasn't my intention at all.
Thanks for sorting it Xileno.
BMW E90 - bulb has failed - Xileno

I don't know why Halfords and some other company names automatically generate a link. There may be some commercial reason I am not aware of so I've left them in. I've only removed the link in the OP's post which was probably spam. When I next contact the HJ Editor (which will be in the next day or so on account of other forum issues), I will ask. It's a bit odd since when I log in as Moderator they are not links just normal text.

Edited by Xileno on 08/07/2021 at 20:39

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - _

Surprised the mods haven't removed the link.

It all depends on the context of a link.

Names are generally acceptable, but where there is a conflict of interest regarding advertising, sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry.

An example is where car searches come from.

I'll let you debate which is the most popular...

BMW E90 - bulb has failed - Sparrow

Not a difficult job. I've had yo do it only once in the 13 years and 110k miles in my e90. I seem to remember it has instructions in the user guide. The biggest issue was washing off the dried mud to access the removable flap. I used a bulb out of the bulb pack I take to France. Mental note to self: get a replacement bulb.