What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - Trilogy.

Tentatively exploring the option of spending more on my next car the Clio Renaultsport has come in for consideration. I'm amazed more hasn't been made of it's supposed mega top speed, according to the buffoon at Autocar magazine, who didn't check the data before releasing it for the website.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/renault/clio-renaults...s

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - groaver

Haha!

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - badbusdriver

234mph using 220bhp?, that is pretty good going :-)

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - Ethan Edwards

This obsession with making a small hatchback travel at great speed and insane levels of acceleration. Where does it end? It started with a small car for people to pop to the shops. Before the great reset comes will someone somewhere squeeze a huge turbo engine into a Smart for two and try for 175mph? Surely the best way to make a fast car is to start with a fast car.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - bathtub tom

Methinks the journo has confused KPH with MPH. 234KPH = 146MPH.

Does anyone employ proof readers nowadays?

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - alan1302

Even proof readers miss things...do people not allow others to make mistakes nowadays?

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - Miniman777

Given the tight margins in both online and printed publishing, the answer to a straight proof reader is probably no. I’ve worked in publishing in excess of 30 years, and errors fell into the typo category or factual. The former should be spotted, the latter would assume some knowledge by the person reading. In this case of cars, so an alarm would say ‘234mph for a Clio doesn’t sound right’ and the fact be checked. The system I worked in had provision for four people in the team to read every page proof, which tends these days to be online view or an emailed PDF. That minimised the chance of an error, as no system is 100%. It’s worth adding using external proof readers adds to cost and time, and given the tight deadlines of print publishing or immediacy of online publishing, seldom happens. Publishing is a sector which was quite badly hit by Covid, as in the first lockdown, as events were cancelled/attractions closed, advertising revenue nose dived. Add to that shielding over several months meaning fewer casual buyers (non essential shops closed), so sales lost, and life became tough financially with a double hit. Once had a letter from someone offering such services but the letter contained mistakes. Whether this was deliberate or not I never knew.
Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - galileo

234mph using 220bhp?, that is pretty good going :-)

The actual stop speed claimed is 143, which is suspiciously close to what 234 Km/hour would be when converted to Miles/hour.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - badbusdriver

I was just working on the assumption that the first digit of the top speed should have been a 1 rather than a 2

Before the great reset comes will someone somewhere squeeze a huge turbo engine into a Smart for two and try for 175mph?

People have been doing this for years. The engine from a big powerful motorbike seems popular, but I am aware of at least one Smart Fortwo which has been fitted with a 2.0 V6.

Meanwhile, Aston Martin fitted a Cygnet (the short lived Aston Martin version of the Toyota IQ) with the 4.7 litre, 430bhp V8 from the Vantage. It was a one off though..........! (cygnet-v8)

This obsession with making a small hatchback travel at great speed and insane levels of acceleration. Where does it end? It started with a small car for people to pop to the shops.

While I completely agree that the 'power race' in pretty much all classes of car is getting ridiculous, I don't see why the size of the car has any relevance. If it is OK for a big car to do 175mph and 0-60 in 4 seconds, why is it not OK for a small one to do the same?.

Surely the best way to make a fast car is to start with a fast car

This statement actually makes no sense at all. If you start with a fast car, how can you make it something it already is?. No car, regardless of size, shape, or category is fast unless it has the required power.

Edited by badbusdriver on 08/07/2021 at 08:42

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - Bolt

This statement actually makes no sense at all. If you start with a fast car, how can you make it something it already is?. No car, regardless of size, shape, or category is fast unless it has the required power.

doesnt matter what size the car is people are always trying to extract more power/speed from a car, question is, is the car capable of controlling the power

someone mentioned smart car, which a friend owns and is constantly turning it over trying to get more speed out of it( bearing in mind he tries to on any car he owns) but these are imo an exception as they do not like corners or bends at high speed and he has often ended up in a field taking corners and bends too fast (he enjoys it but is daft in a car like that)....

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - John F

Before the great reset comes will someone somewhere squeeze a huge turbo engine into a Smart for two and try for 175mph?

People have been doing this for years.

Indeed they have.

Surely the best way to make a fast car is to start with a fast car

Not necessarily. It's amazing what you can do with a VW Lupo and a couple of compact 12cyl engines from its big brothers........

engineswapdepot.com/?p=20071

It's amazing what you can do with a VW Lupo and a couple of compact 12cyl engines from its big brothers........

engineswapdepot.com/?p=20071

Now that does seem a bit unecessary!.

Reminds me of an episode of The Motorbike Show I watched the other day when Henry was visiting (the genius) Allen Millyard and looking at his 8 litre V10 (Dodge Viper) engined motorbike................ :-0

Renault Clio Renaultsport - The fastest hot hatch ever - over 200 mph - Engineer Andy

I remember a former colleague from about 20 years ago owning a Clio Williams - it went like the proverbial rocket.