I need help choosing my next car... - ReallyTallTony

Hello backroom,

I need help in my car selection to replace my aged A8 190k – it’s one breakdown away from being scrapped .

My dilemma is that I know in three years’ time I'm going to need something suitable to pull a caravan as part of a retirement plan . In the interim I have the opportunity to have something different compared to what I've driven before (E class estate, A8). My problem is that I find myself unable to choose between the multitude of options as I no longer have a specific need for every type of vehicle. This is because my family has grown up and so I don't need a large vehicle anymore and if I'm buying something just for me, I quite like I find it difficult to hone my choices. My basic requirements are:

• 4-wheel drive
  • Automatic
  • Sunroof
  • Cruise control
  • Lots of toys - I am a gadget fiend
  • £500 per month Max, with £10,000 down upfront (if PCP)
  • Must be comfortable
  • Must be able to accommodate somebody my size I'm 6’ 4”

When I go into a car selection wizard on eg Carwow I end up with about 400 different choices which doesn't help! The closest I've got to actually making it selection was the Volvo XC60 inscription pro, but I'm struggling to find the car for my budget. I have test driven BMWs Audis Volvo Mazda Ford so far – all good cars, but didn’t get on with the Ford/Mazda because of my height.

I do find myself struggling between choosing between a lease (because I know it's only going to be for three years), a nearly new, or older ‘better built’ car.

If anyone can give me ideas or views such as “Hey Tony you should really have a look at this car…” then please comment or reply to this.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice .

Tony

I need help choosing my next car... - JonestHon

Hey Tony, what fuel? Diesels a no-go or are you ok with the black stuff?

I'm OK with Diesel - my current car is Diesel, though the Volvo Diesel does sound like a tractor, so that is out. :)

I need help choosing my next car... - John F

With such a generous budget, the automotive world is truly your lobster.

Why not buy outright the car you want for your retirement now? That way you can (presumably) write off some of its up to £6K a year depreciation (£500 pcm PCP!!!!) against tax if you use it for work for the next three years, and then enjoy it for as long as it will last. That's what I did seven years ago (coincidentally an A8 with only 49,000miles), three years before I retired.

I need help choosing my next car... - RT

VW Touareg - uses Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne underpinnings.

I need help choosing my next car... - Alby Back
I'd maybe consider a Skoda Superb 4x4 ( estate in my case ) cracking looking things and I'm led to believe they are a very nice drive. Good value too. Plenty of room in them.

I'd really consider one of those, spec it all up, agonise about it, find the best deal etc, and then in truth, I'd most probably go and buy another E Class estate I suppose.

;-)

This made me chuckle. I'll have a look at the Skoda.

Any views about the Skoda Enyak? Go electric maybe?

""the automotive world is truly your lobster"...this has been part of the problem - too much choice! Nice place to be in I guess.

I have thought about just going for the retirement car (Q7, Range Rover, XC90) now, but it feels like it is over-kill for what I need now. My thought is that it would be just too much car for my needs for the next 3 years. *sigh*