What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i40 Tourer - Car Noises at slow speed - Mikec80
Hi all,
I’m after a bit of advice if you can,
I have a Hyundai i40 Tourer, March 2015 plate, 75k on the clock,
Just lately when driving at slow speeds I hear a squeaking sound, sounds a bit like the brakes do when they need replacing but it’s not when I’m braking it’s noticeable when moving off at slow speed or even letting the car slow on its own (rolling up to light/junction etc) alongside this I’ve also noticed it feels wobbly/vibration up through the steering column when going over bumps or simply an a road which isn’t totally flat , seems worse when slowing down on a decline,

I had the steering column replaced this time last year due to a knocking noise when turning the steering wheel (it is making the same noise again) if I turn the wheel when stationary left and right it’s making a clicking/knocking noise (I don’t know much about cars so don’t know if that’s normal etc)

Overall it just feels different to drive at the moment (I don’t think I’m over thinking it) :)

Feel like I would like to get a rough idea what it could be before I go to the garage as I saw on a Hyundai Facebook group someone had some
Vibration and it’s been back and forth to a garage and cost him £690 so far replacing bits and he still has the issue, would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Mike
Hyundai i40 Tourer - Car Noises at slow speed - Rerepo

Likely you have two seperate problems.

The rotational squeaking is most likely the brakes, or just possibly a wheel bearing. Should be easy for a garage to diagnose.

The rattle through the steering column could be play in the column sliding coupling or in the rack itself. Other noises and suspension 'play' can arise from wear in the inner or outer track rod ends, or balljoints. Basically there are quite a few joints in the suspension that need checking.

Thank you for taking time to explain,
The car is now out of its Hyundai warranty (the steering column was replaced at the end of the warranty last year, do you think it would be worth asking the dealership to have a look at it? Is it wrong to expect a new steering column to last longer if indeed it was an issue with that?

Thanks again.

Mike
Hyundai i40 Tourer - Car Noises at slow speed - Rerepo
Thank you for taking time to explain, The car is now out of its Hyundai warranty (the steering column was replaced at the end of the warranty last year, do you think it would be worth asking the dealership to have a look at it? Is it wrong to expect a new steering column to last longer if indeed it was an issue with that? Thanks again. Mike

Hyundai cars are very notorious for the rubber coupler inside the MDPS (motor driven power steering) unit breaking up. Its a cheap part but an hour or two of labour to replace. Probably your dealer changed out the whole column as its an easier job and guaranteed to fix the fault. It seems unlikely that a new column would fail so quickly so IF the knocking noise is due to the column then I would definitely go back to the dealer and complain. The knock could have a different origin though.....

Thank you for you help ????