What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - EV vs Diesel - mcb100
SMMT figures published today show that pure electric cars outsold diesels for the first time in June - 19,842 to 15,027.
The total market was up 28% on June 2020.
Any - EV vs Diesel - badbusdriver
SMMT figures published today show that pure electric cars outsold diesels for the first time in June - 19,842 to 15,027. The total market was up 28% on June 2020.

Hardly a surprise is it?. Given the demonisation of diesel coupled with the massive EV push by the government and the equally massive proliferation of new EV's from manufacturers.

Any - EV vs Diesel - focussed

Power cuts expected next winter?

Power cuts expected next winter?

Err, no.

Since 2002 the UK's peak demand for energy has fallen by 16% (through improved efficiency). If by some miracle, every car driver in the country changed to EV's at once, the National Grid predicts demand would increase by around 10%.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Sofa Spud

If every driver changed to an EV, then the huge amount of energy saved by not having to refine oil would roughly equal the extra demand from charging EVs. There might be problems with patterns of demand but that's all.

While petrol and diesel fuel give about three times as much energy back in combustion as it takes to refine them, two thirds of that energy is wasted as heat during combustion.

EVs are around 90% energy efficient in use, the charging process nearer 80% efficiency and the electricity supply system is around 90% efficient.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 06/07/2021 at 11:04

Any - EV vs Diesel - galileo

If every driver changed to an EV, then the huge amount of energy saved by not having to refine oil would roughly equal the extra demand from charging EVs. There might be problems with patterns of demand but that's all.

While petrol and diesel fuel give about three times as much energy back in combustion as it takes to refine them, two thirds of that energy is wasted as heat during combustion.

EVs are around 90% energy efficient in use, the charging process nearer 80% efficiency and the electricity supply system is around 90% efficient.

Which part of the supply system is 90% efficient?

Wind turbines - yes (when the wind blows)

Solar power -yes

Transformers - yes

Power lines -yes

AC generators (in terms of conversion of kinetic to electrical energy) - yes

Providing steam or hot gas to rotate turbines and generators - don't think so

Standby back up diesel generators - definitely not.

Or have I missed something?

Any - EV vs Diesel - Engineer Andy

Solar power -yes

Transformers - yes

Power lines -yes

Not really. I would add that IMHO, EVs are only really worth it environmentally if the electricity they consume is generated by renewable means and not at the expense of other electrical power used for everyone else.

That would mean EV owners installing large PV arrays on the roof of their home to either directly charge the car or feed into the grid, plus they'd need to be sufficient energy storage devices/media to feed the EVs when they are (mostly) charged up overnight, especially in winter when there's far less sun and often little wind for turbines to produce electricity.

Any - EV vs Diesel - alan1302

Solar power -yes

Transformers - yes

Power lines -yes

Not really. I would add that IMHO, EVs are only really worth it environmentally if the electricity they consume is generated by renewable means and not at the expense of other electrical power used for everyone else.

That would mean EV owners installing large PV arrays on the roof of their home to either directly charge the car or feed into the grid, plus they'd need to be sufficient energy storage devices/media to feed the EVs when they are (mostly) charged up overnight, especially in winter when there's far less sun and often little wind for turbines to produce electricity.

Or jut use one of the green tariffs for your electricity.

Solar power -yes

Transformers - yes

Power lines -yes

Yes and no - that would only be worthwhile if all tarriffs were 'green' (i.e. 100% of electricity prodcued was from renewable sources), but only a finite amount is and thus other people's just gets generated the 'old fashioned way'. A sort of 'musical chairs' situation.

Yes and no - that would only be worthwhile if all tarriffs were 'green' (i.e. 100% of electricity prodcued was from renewable sources), but only a finite amount is and thus other people's just gets generated the 'old fashioned way'. A sort of 'musical chairs' situation.

It's the best you are going to get at the moment - there will be a slow crossover from fossil fuel to renewables - as you you expect there there to be.

It's like you say further down that Ev's are not for less well off people - they won't be cheap at the moment - they are still expensive to produce and manufacturers want to recoup costs.

Any - EV vs Diesel - barney100

Not convinced at all by EVs for all the well touted reasons. How are people in tower blocks etc going to get a lead to a car? Where are all the chargers for our 31 million cars when we are forced into EVs etc etc.

Any - EV vs Diesel - tim10597

What do they do now? They don’t have a petrol station either…

Any - EV vs Diesel - RT

What they do now is go to a nearby petrol station and fill-up with several 100s miles of range, only takes a minute or two - EVs just can't do that in a timely fashion so recharging has to be done while the car is parked, out of use.

Any - EV vs Diesel - tim10597

So they charge when they go to work or the supermarket, or the shops, or the gym etc. I know the infrastructure isn’t there today, but it is improving all the time. I’ve heard a lot of people say that they can’t charge at home and whilst I agree that is the most convenient solution, it isn’t the only solution.

If I had an EV I'd want to charge at home while I did other things.

Get a charger at home then, or on the street. Or wait a few years and then get a vehicle that charges faster and goes further.

A lot of people seem to be against EV's based on what they are like now - we are at the start of EV's now becoming mainstream - there will be a lot of changes and improvements in them between now and 2030.

Any - EV vs Diesel - RT

Get a charger at home then, or on the street. Or wait a few years and then get a vehicle that charges faster and goes further.

A lot of people seem to be against EV's based on what they are like now - we are at the start of EV's now becoming mainstream - there will be a lot of changes and improvements in them between now and 2030.

Selling futures doesn't work for many people.

Right now I can't make an EV work satisfactorily for my needs, so right now I'm out - WHEN things change, I'll reconsider.

In my case, I need to tow a caravan 400 miles/day, since EV range is slashed when towing I'd presently spend as much time charging as driving which just isn't acceptable - I could reduce to 200 miles/day but that would take twice as many days to get anywhere.

I'd buy an EV as a runaround but they aren't cheap enough yet.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Grenache

Right now I can't make an EV work satisfactorily for my needs, so right now I'm out - WHEN things change, I'll reconsider.

In my case, I need to tow a caravan 400 miles/day, since EV range is slashed when towing I'd presently spend as much time charging as driving which just isn't acceptable - I could reduce to 200 miles/day but that would take twice as many days to get anywhere.

I'd buy an EV as a runaround but they aren't cheap enough yet.

I'm in a similar situation - I have a twice-weekly 270 mile commute, done non-stop apart from a quick toilet stop.

Someone suggested the Zoe as it can do almost that sort of miles on a full charge, but when I read the detailed report, that mileage is only at a constant 30mph on a sunny day. A test run had been done at motorway speeds, in the p***ing rain, with the heater on full blast in the winter and the range dropped to about 59 miles I think it was.

Hardly a practical alternative.

I'm running a high-mpg Euro 6 diesel at the moment, and at 160k miles still running well, giving me 60mpg+ even on mainly motorway miles. I doubt that electric tech is quite there yet. I'm not against EVs, just find it doesn't suit my needs at present.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Andrew-T

So they charge when they go to work or the supermarket, or the shops, or the gym etc. I know the infrastructure isn’t there today, but it is improving all the time.

That's fine most of the time. If your petrol or diesel car runs out of fuel, you can take a jerrycan to the filling station. Not so simple to pour a top-up into your EV, you will probably need to send for rescue if you live in the imagined tower block.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Sprice

Daft reply

Edited by Sprice on 08/07/2021 at 06:07

Also it would require 75% of the worlds lithium production if I've got my facts right....is this true?

Hmm - we'll see what happens on a really cold foggy day when the wind isn't blowing and a lot of people come home in their EV's plug them in to charge them, go inside their house and turn up their electric heating before using their electric kettle to make a cup of tea before taking a shower under their electric instant shower.

That is going to be a lot of demand.

The standard supply for a UK light commercial and domestic supply is on a 100amp cutout with 80amp fuses fitted. That's about 18kVA

A small flat will probably be on a 60 amp supply.

The UK is going to have to reduce demand by limiting the maximum power available per house, why does the average UK house need 18 KVA?

Any - EV vs Diesel - mcb100
People will come home, plug their car into a charge point and programme it not to start to charge until after midnight, when demand is low and electricity potentially cheaper.
Average daily mileage in the UK is apparently c20 miles, so based on current range it’s a charge every 10 days or so. It’s going to take a huge coordinated effort to have a nation’s total fleet of EV’s charging on the same night.

Edited by mcb100 on 06/07/2021 at 21:38

Any - EV vs Diesel - mab23

You can also use the plugged in EV battery as an energy store to smooth out demand in the grid.

So you saying that your EV battery will be used by the grid to store energy to hide the fact that there will not be sufficient generation capacity to meet demand?

How much will they be paying the owner of the EV for that?

So you saying that your EV battery will be used by the grid to store energy to hide the fact that there will not be sufficient generation capacity to meet demand?

How much will they be paying the owner of the EV for that?

There will be sufficient generation though.

People will come home, plug their car into a charge point and programme it not to start to charge until after midnight, when demand is low and electricity potentially cheaper. Average daily mileage in the UK is apparently c20 miles, so based on current range it’s a charge every 10 days or so. It’s going to take a huge coordinated effort to have a nation’s total fleet of EV’s charging on the same night.

Not so good in winter when it dark oustide (no PV electricity generated) for nearly 18hrs a day and thw ind ain't blowin' to generate electricity via wind turbines. All those 'new generation' nuclear plants won't be only for nearly a decade, well past when the old ones are turned off, so there's (getting more scarce and expensive) gas (from not very nice countries), oil or coal, the latter two obviously are not green.

Plus most equipment for PV panels is now made in China, and I seriously doubt we'll on very friendly terms with them (even more unfriendly than now) in the coming years due to pushback on their 'activities' and 'aspirations' on a local and global scale.

We (the West) should've been building up a PV production industry and for complex electronics 20 years ago, given what China was obviously trying to do. Now I suspect we'll pay the price, including that new cars will be unafforable for most within 10 years.

People will come home, plug their car into a charge point and programme it not to start to charge until after midnight, when demand is low and electricity potentially cheaper. Average daily mileage in the UK is apparently c20 miles, so based on current range it’s a charge every 10 days or so. It’s going to take a huge coordinated effort to have a nation’s total fleet of EV’s charging on the same night.

Not so good in winter when it dark oustide (no PV electricity generated) for nearly 18hrs a day and thw ind ain't blowin' to generate electricity via wind turbines. All those 'new generation' nuclear plants won't be only for nearly a decade, well past when the old ones are turned off, so there's (getting more scarce and expensive) gas (from not very nice countries), oil or coal, the latter two obviously are not green.

Plus most equipment for PV panels is now made in China, and I seriously doubt we'll on very friendly terms with them (even more unfriendly than now) in the coming years due to pushback on their 'activities' and 'aspirations' on a local and global scale.

We (the West) should've been building up a PV production industry and for complex electronics 20 years ago, given what China was obviously trying to do. Now I suspect we'll pay the price, including that new cars will be unafforable for most within 10 years.

So what's your solution?

Hmm - we'll see what happens on a really cold foggy day when the wind isn't blowing and a lot of people come home in their EV's plug them in to charge them, go inside their house and turn up their electric heating before using their electric kettle to make a cup of tea before taking a shower under their electric instant shower.

That is going to be a lot of demand.

The standard supply for a UK light commercial and domestic supply is on a 100amp cutout with 80amp fuses fitted. That's about 18kVA

A small flat will probably be on a 60 amp supply.

The UK is going to have to reduce demand by limiting the maximum power available per house, why does the average UK house need 18 KVA?

We could always build a proper infrastructure with electricity generation that if flexible with wind/hydro/nuclear/solar etc etc as well as storage - none of what you say should be a problem at all.

I wonder what size solar panel facing south you would need purely for charging an EV. I reckon in time people will sell home charging from their drives too.

I wonder what size solar panel facing south you would need purely for charging an EV. I reckon in time people will sell home charging from their drives too.

Putting the panels on the car might alleviate things a bit ?

Any - EV vs Diesel - kiss (keep it simple)

18kVA allows for occasional peaks. Electric cooker and oven can account for half of that easily, add a kettle and the washing machine plus dishwasher and you are pushing your luck. That's the problem, peak demand (kettle on during half time anybody?)

Car charging will need to be made more attractive during off peak periods for those that can do it. As with many commodities, the laws of supply and demand will kick in, hence the effort to install smart meters.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Terry W

IMHO there are only limited reasons why EV is not suitable for 90%+ of motorists:

• purchase cost - most folk drive s/h cars and are simply not in the market
  • running costs - upfront cost is still higher than ICE but running costs lower
  • range - new EVs with 200+ miles will comfortably meet the needs of most motorists.
  • recharge times - reducing rapidly compared to 10 years ago
  • power - if (say) towing the range will be reduced
  • performance - probably far more accessible for an EV
  • battery fears - longevity and performance fears seem increasingly unfounded

Most negative "it won't" work for me seems to be more "I'm afraid of new tech I don't understand". It's probably futile trying to convince these souls otherwise.

They will inevitably be hit over the next decade by the legislative and economic reality - ICE will become more expensive, technically deficient due to lack of development, older, regulated in urban areas etc. All the time EV will become more effective.

Most negative "it won't" work for me seems to be more "I'm afraid of new tech I don't understand". It's probably futile trying to convince these souls otherwise.

I agree, but I think another factor is the "nobody is telling me what to do" mentality.

Any - EV vs Diesel - corax

I agree, but I think another factor is the "nobody is telling me what to do" mentality.

When oil becomes uneconomically viable to drill, what then? Do we go back to the horse and cart?

That would be great for my roses.

IMHO there are only limited reasons why EV is not suitable for 90%+ of motorists:

• purchase cost - most folk drive s/h cars and are simply not in the market
  • running costs - upfront cost is still higher than ICE but running costs lower
  • range - new EVs with 200+ miles will comfortably meet the needs of most motorists.
  • recharge times - reducing rapidly compared to 10 years ago
  • power - if (say) towing the range will be reduced
  • performance - probably far more accessible for an EV
  • battery fears - longevity and performance fears seem increasingly unfounded

They will inevitably be hit over the next decade by the legislative and economic reality - ICE will become more expensive, technically deficient due to lack of development, older, regulated in urban areas etc. All the time EV will become more effective.

For what we need a car for there are no suitable EV's yet - although expect them to come...we have a Vauxhall Combo Life and need the space for wheelchair/mobility scooter etc so at the moment run a diesel one. There is an electric version out/coming but range is on the lower side. When that's sorted out I can't see any reason not to get one.

Any - EV vs Diesel - movilogo

I don't worry about EV range. But the top up time it takes to achieve the range is the problem. I can fill up a car with petrol/diesel in 5 minutes where it takes hours for EV and if you are on road and there are queues for charging then you are stuffed.

I still don't get it why batteries have to be integrated with the car. Batteries should be modular. There should be charged batteries in "pumps" where you just swap yours with newly charged ones. That swapping can be done quickly so no need for waiting to charge.

And coming to the diesel point, diesel cars are problem because of DPF, DMF etc. Post pandemic lot of people would make shorter journeys making diesel unsuitable.

I think the problems are mainly going to arise if doing a long journey where you are trying to fully charge (or as near as) the battery. Because the power going in slows down the nearer you get to being 'full'. Reading an article about a new Audi EV, it says that 80 miles of charge takes about 10 minutes (with a 125kW charger). That doesn't compare too badly with putting a few gallons in an ICE car, especially if you have to (or choose to) go inside to pay, possibly in a queue.

Of course that also assumes the charger works, it accepts your attempts to use it, and there isn't already a car there charging.............................!

Any - EV vs Diesel - Oli rag
The latest Tesla model S plaid can charge at a rate of 187 miles in 15 minutes apparently.

It also does 0 to 60 in around 2 seconds, a quarter of a mile drag in 9.24 seconds and has a top speed of 200 mph.

It is also claimed to be faster than any Porsche and safer than any Volvo - all in one car.

The future is here I think, if you can afford it.

d.

I still don't get it why batteries have to be integrated with the car. Batteries should be modular. There should be charged batteries in "pumps" where you just swap yours with newly charged ones. That swapping can be done quickly so no need for waiting to charge.

Batteries take a lot of space and each car needs them fitted in differently - and they are heavy so it it's not a quick thing to change out.

Batteries should be modular. There should be charged batteries in "pumps" where you just swap yours with newly charged ones. That swapping can be done quickly so no need for waiting to charge.

Rather like the idea of swapping a full fuel tank for an empty one. Those batteries are pretty big and heavy too.

Any - EV vs Diesel - edlithgow

Batteries should be modular. There should be charged batteries in "pumps" where you just swap yours with newly charged ones. That swapping can be done quickly so no need for waiting to charge.

Rather like the idea of swapping a full fuel tank for an empty one. Those batteries are pretty big and heavy too.

Maybe...make them smaller?

This scooter system has pretty good urban coverage on the West coast here but not much good for the mountainous hinterland. Can't see why a few more cells couldn'[ power a car. even if only Smart-sized

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2zh5f71O8o

The other problem would be if the battery then failed in use. You'd either have to buy twice as much as you need (expensive and obviously the extra weight/space taken up) or run the risk of being stranded if the battery fails because it was on it's last legs.

Would you also have to return said battery 'cartridge' to the supplier or just drop it off at any one? If its the former, that could be a big problem for people travelling a long distance, especially as most (if not all) non-supermarket filling stations (which presumably would offer this service as ICE cars are phased out) are franchised, and thus some 'payment' system would have to be in operation.

Who would be (financially) responsible for the state of the batteries, especially if you didn't have to return them to the original supplier? The storage space, charging (and cooling) facilities for the batteries would also be a big factor, given they take up far more space than liquid fuels due to their far lower energy density and would need to be readily accessible, thus underground storage might be less suitable or increase costs a lot (to make the facilities much larger).

Lots of unanswered questions for battery exchange. Liquid fuels are so much easier to deal with.

Some chap posted his older Leaf on a summers day got 45 miles out of a charge, not so good in winter.

The maximum power available in France for a residential property is12 kva on the basic tariff de base. The standing charge doubles if you go from 3 kva the lowest, to 15 kva the highest on the basic tariff.

Our house when we bought it was on 6 kva which was perfectly ok for us with water heating, dishwasher, washing m/c, microwave, electric kettle, two towel rails, two electric rads, a fridge and freezer, tv computers, and halogen lighting which is now all led.

Since EDF nationally changed the meters from rotating dial to a standard smart meter which also handles the load limiting we had to increase the power rating to 9 kva as the electronic smart meter does not give any allowance for load peaks and would occasionally cut off the supply in winter, which the old thermal overload would sustain for 10 minutes or so.

France does not have a generation problem - it's 80% nuclear- it has a distribution problem in rural areas as the supply is mostly on overhead lines.

Limiting the maximum demand power by increasing the standing charge by power usage is going to be the only way the UK can eke out it's diminishing generation capacity in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batteries take a lot of space and each car needs them fitted in differently - and they are heavy so it it's not a quick thing to change out.

That isn't really the case. Any new EV which has been designed from the get go as an EV will have what they call a skateboard layout, where the batteries form a flat layer under the floor.

An existing ICE which has been adapted to be an EV might have a different setup, but this is pretty unlikely.

The only real likelihood of an EV not having a skateboard layout would be an electric sports car or supercar. The reason is to allow the seats to be mounted as low as possible, to make the car itself as low as possible. In these cases, the batteries will typically be arranged in a T shape, running between and behind the seats.

Having battery swapping stations may not be as easy as some seem to think, but it is certainly is feasible. In motorway services you could have 4-6 bays with ramps and the necessary battery 'jacks'. Properly thought out, a car could be in, battery changed and out again well inside 10 mins. It is, at the moment, unlikely IMO, as there just isn't the co-operation between manufacturers. Everyone thinks what they are doing is best, and don't want to share.

Battery swap sounds attractive but:

• just because they are mounted in the same place below the floor would not mean they are all the same size, use the same connectors, fit a same size recess, are configured to deliver a common voltage, have common control systems etc
  • to have a battery exchange system would mean increasing the number of batteriies in circulation - you need to be charging them whilst one is in the car. Needs more raw materials and investment.
  • who is liable for batteries when they are damaged or ultimately fail - they are major cost items.
  • how are the costs recovered - does the original buyer of the car buy a single battery pack or rent from the outset. If the former, the first time they exchange their battery the may get a 10 year old 80% performance unit as a replacement.
Any - EV vs Diesel - movilogo

as there just isn't the co-operation between manufacturers.

This is the main issue. I think there is still no universal standard on charging socket either.

Battery being heavy should not be an issue if swapping batteries done by machine. There could be different mechanisms - like if getting full range then replace main battery by a machine. But if only want to top up for few miles, just take a briefcase size battery out and plug a fully charged one - bit like replacing AA batteries on gadgets albeit lot bigger in size compared to AA.

If someone is not worred about environment, what benefit one would get if buying EV instead of an ICE car? When no choice to buy ICE then I can understand EV is only option but right now I still don't see any benefit of EV. Being early adopter on EV does not provide any tangible benefits to averge motorist.

<< Any new EV which has been designed from the get go as an EV will have what they call a skateboard layout, where the batteries form a flat layer under the floor. >>

That wouldn't lend itself to the idea of a quick swap, certainly when compared with filling a tank. Plus the imaginable consequence of careless fitting ?

Any - EV vs Diesel - RJ414i

18kVA allows for occasional peaks. Electric cooker and oven can account for half of that easily, add a kettle and the washing machine plus dishwasher and you are pushing your luck. That's the problem, peak demand (kettle on during half time anybody?)

Car charging will need to be made more attractive during off peak periods for those that can do it. As with many commodities, the laws of supply and demand will kick in, hence the effort to install smart meters.

And don't forget the 9.5 Kw shower using 41.3 Amps.

SMMT figures published today show that pure electric cars outsold diesels for the first time in June - 19,842 to 15,027. The total market was up 28% on June 2020.

1.28x a very small number is still a small number. Diesels are obviously seriously out of favour and petrol (hybrids) are far more popular. I also suspect that this is as much to do with rental firms changing buying habits (to petrols/petrol hybrids) as it is private/workplace buyers, including general reductions in sales due to pandemic issues and people (apart from the wealthy who will go on spending anyway, hence more EVs) and ordinary people reluctant to shell out for a new car, especially given price rises and a lack of job security at the moment.

Also, as I've just stated on the HJ news article on this story, now EV cracked the top 10 since December, when amazingly 5k Teslas were sold. Either their showrooms are only open every 6 months or, more likely, they have stock control issues and so bring in 6 months worth in on shipment, then any prosepctive buyers have to wait another 6 months for their order to be fulfilled.

Plus it generates nice headlines for Tesla to pretend they are always in the top 10 of sales, when that patently isn't the case.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Wee Willie Winkie

Pretty much bang on regarding Tesla. Wth the Model 3, at least. They tend to have 2 or 3 shipments in the quarter, all arriving within a few weeks of other.

Single month figures can be misleading, particularly for individual brands. But the direction of travel is clear: Based on year to date (June) numbers:

2020 sales - ICE 510k, EV and hybrid 140k, Total 650k

2021 sales - ICE 535k, EV and hybrid 375k, Total 910k

Covid constraints may explain the volume change. But it is abundantly clear that electric (EV or hybrid) are in the ascendancy.

Diesel in 2021 accounts for 93k vehicles (10%) compared to ~50% only a couple of years ago.

Any - EV vs Diesel - sammy1

I do not get the battery exchange scenario, may be if everyone was renting their car of for that matter the battery but fancy a station changing your brand new battery for one on its last legs I would not be pleased. Charging points has got to be the way but the public deserve to know what the government strategy is or is it just letting business get on with it

"""So you saying that your EV battery will be used by the grid to store energy to hide the fact that there will not be sufficient generation capacity to meet demand?

How much will they be paying the owner of the EV for that ""

Getting up in the morning late for work and the grid had drained your battery for your neighbours to cook their breakfast!

Any - EV vs Diesel - Xileno

"Covid constraints may explain the volume change. But it is abundantly clear that electric (EV or hybrid) are in the ascendancy."

It does seems that way. What would be interesting to know is how many of these new EV are single household cars. I know a fair number of households who run one EV but the other family car is ICE or hybrid. My neighbours had a Zoe which they were pleased with and it was great for the shorter runs but they used their petrol car for longer journeys. Are we at the point yet where the only car in the household can be EV, without too many compromises?

Edited by Xileno on 08/07/2021 at 17:12

Any - EV vs Diesel - sammy1

On the pros and cons of this we know of plenty of problems with diesel, but little of mechanical or electrical problems with EV cars. If you could be reasonably happy that EV would give you trouble free motoring then an EV car would seem to be no contest. However I have read reports of unhappy customers but spa*** detail

I do not get the battery exchange scenario, may be if everyone was renting their car of for that matter the battery but fancy a station changing your brand new battery for one on its last legs I would not be pleased. Charging points has got to be the way but the public deserve to know what the government strategy is or is it just letting business get on with it

To state the bleedin obvious, its not your battery. Its their battery.

You have a contract that gives you access to the battery swap stations.

Tracking MY BATTERY in such as system is,a ludicrously extreme example of a straw man argument. You can't do it, but then you would'nt want to.

Its not necessary to theorise because this system is live and working well in Taiwan, but only for scooters. I suppose because an electric scooter has a lower investment threshold, both for development and for purchase.

Unfortunately it seems to be a proprietary and closed system. The company could presumably lease access to other vehicle makers, but would lose monopoly power so aren't likely to.

A case for state control?

Edited by edlithgow on 09/07/2021 at 01:04

Tracking MY BATTERY in such as system is,a ludicrously extreme example of a straw man argument. You can't do it, but then you would'nt want to.

Its not necessary to theorise because this system is live and working well in Taiwan, but only for scooters. I suppose because an electric scooter has a lower investment threshold, both for development and for purchase.

Unfortunately it seems to be a proprietary and closed system. The company could presumably lease access to other vehicle makers, but would lose monopoly power so aren't likely to.

Gee, that's what we need - either big corporates acting as a monopoly or more top-down state control of our lives for critical transport infrastructure that wasn't before. Thye have a great prior track record of not expoliting it for their own means , power, etc or doing a competent job at a lower cost than a free market. Not.

Unlike with liquid fuels, where you can mix and match differnt suppliers without issue, batteries can only be is all of them were of the same specification, including size/capacity, which could be big problem given the disparity in the size of vehicles. With scooters, that ain't a problem. With cars, it would certainly be.

Thos other issues I described in another post earlier would still to be resolved. Unlkess and until the energy density of batteries goes up to near/surpasses that of ICE, I can't see battery exchange being viable, given how many are needed, even in the latest EVs.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 09/07/2021 at 12:03

Well, OK, then you can't see battery exchange being viable.

I can, because I see it being viable here every day, There's one up the road

Going to be quite hard to convince me that I'm imagining it,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-PKSPbvpw

Edited by edlithgow on 09/07/2021 at 18:05

Gee, that's what we need - either big corporates acting as a monopoly or more top-down state control of our lives for critical transport infrastructure that wasn't before. Thye have a great prior track record of not expoliting it for their own means , power, etc or doing a competent job at a lower cost than a free market. Not.

I ducked the above “little bit of politics” earlier but I suppose its unavoidable in this context

You confuse matters a bit with your dodgy distinction between “big corporates acting as a monopoly” and the “free market.” (which, if free, is likely to lead to “big corporates acting as a monopoly”), but I’’ll take that overall as a pitch for some notional free market leading to greater efficiency and lower costs through the operation of competitive selection. Pretty standard no-such-thing-as-society Darwinian shtick.

Some counter examples I find instructive:

Development of the Railways: A good example because it should be the integrated transport system par excellance. Multiplicity of gauges produced by competing companies, requiring loads ’ to be unloaded from one set of rail cars and re-loaded onto another, a time-consuming and expensive process.’ Fixing that in the UK required state intervention in the shape of “An Act for regulating the Gauge of Railways” (1846). Unfortunately from a technical point of view they picked the wrong standard because it already had the most track laid. Though better than no standard at all, only 55% of world railways use it, an on-going legacy of a free market mess.

Personal transport example: Compare and contrast buying brake parts for a Renault Campus and a Lada.

No one could tell me which make, much less model, of brakes were fitted to the Renault. whereas ALL (Soviet) Ladas had the same brakes. Something to do with freedom of choice and greater efficiency in the (more or less) free market, no doubt.

The Internet, where we virtually hang our hat and chew the fat: It works due to standards written and imposed by a non-profit organization funded by governments.

Universal Serial Bus: Dig the supreme irony of that “Universal”. I have a big bag of USB cables. Almost every time I get some new gadget produced by the free market I go through the bag and it needs a new one that I’ve never seen before.

You need standards. The free market, if it delivers them at all, tends to do it wastefully and slowly. The flipside of competition is all the effort necessarily invested in failure.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/07/2021 at 05:22

<< Development of the Railways: A good example because it should be the integrated transport system par excellance. Multiplicity of gauges produced by competing companies, requiring loads ’ to be unloaded from one set of rail cars and re-loaded onto another, a time-consuming and expensive process.’ Fixing that in the UK required state intervention in the shape of “An Act for regulating the Gauge of Railways” (1846). Unfortunately from a technical point of view they picked the wrong standard because it already had the most track laid. >>

Railways may not be a perfect example - remember that Russia and the Iberian countries still use a 'non-standard' gauge, primarily because their politicians decided it would prevent invasion by neighbours; and Ireland also has a different gauge for reasons I can't recall. As it was part of GB at the time I wonder what was the point.

Belgian railways are better, because their government organised the network from the outset.

<< Development of the Railways: A good example because it should be the integrated transport system par excellance. Multiplicity of gauges produced by competing companies, requiring loads ’ to be unloaded from one set of rail cars and re-loaded onto another, a time-consuming and expensive process.’ Fixing that in the UK required state intervention in the shape of “An Act for regulating the Gauge of Railways” (1846). Unfortunately from a technical point of view they picked the wrong standard because it already had the most track laid. >>

Railways may not be a perfect example - remember that Russia and the Iberian countries still use a 'non-standard' gauge, primarily because their politicians decided it would prevent invasion by neighbours; and Ireland also has a different gauge for reasons I can't recall. As it was part of GB at the time I wonder what was the point.

Belgian railways are better, because their government organised the network from the outset.

None of which, AFACT, megates my argument. Seems to reiinforce it, in fact, so thanks.

Single month figures can be misleading, particularly for individual brands. But the direction of travel is clear: Based on year to date (June) numbers:

2020 sales - ICE 510k, EV and hybrid 140k, Total 650k

2021 sales - ICE 535k, EV and hybrid 375k, Total 910k

Covid constraints may explain the volume change. But it is abundantly clear that electric (EV or hybrid) are in the ascendancy.

Diesel in 2021 accounts for 93k vehicles (10%) compared to ~50% only a couple of years ago.

'Ascendancy'? It would be if they increased by one more than pure ICE cars. The problem for 2020 and 2021 is that the pandemic has grossly distorted tha market for both building and selling cars, especially mass market (lower priced) vehciles, meaning that EVs are going to look more popular because the well off can still afford them, rather like thas case at the moment with foregin travel/holidays.

You also lump in hybrids with EV, but that will include cars that are 'mild' self-charging hybrids, which provide little to no motive power (often running just the electrics) and thus contribute little towards using less fuel/lowering CO2 emissions over an appropriately engined ICE car (which will be lighter).

EV sales still are very low single figures despite the times we're in, and as other has proven, Tesla don't continually ship cars year round, so they have a few months that look good and rest they're nowhere.

Add to that there will inevitably be a ceiling on EV sales as they still are at the top end of the mass market price range, which, especially at the moment, most people cannot afford, particaular because of ancilliary costs or issues associated with not being able to charge them at home (people living in flats or terraced housing).

Any - EV vs Diesel - misar

With regard to standards for charging electric vehicles, BSI have been active for some time although obviously it is a developing area: Standards and EVs | BSI (bsigroup.com)

Common sense says battery swopping is technically feasible if we decide to go down that route and it has already started to be addressed by standards:

There are also standards around battery swapping scenarios – when a discharged battery is replaced with a full one to avoid charging delays. IEC TS 62840-1 provides manufacturers with overarching guidance on such systems, while BS EN IEC 62840-2 outlines specific safety requirements.

Common sense says battery swopping is technically feasible if we decide to go down that route and it has already started to be addressed by standards:

That is clearly 'feasible', just as swapping any other parts of a car. But using this method on a similar scale to the regular filling of a tank that we are all used to, seems to me to be rather infeasible ?

That is clearly 'feasible', just as swapping any other parts of a car. But using this method on a similar scale to the regular filling of a tank that we are all used to, seems to me to be rather infeasible ?

Especially as most EV battery packs are stored in some of most inaccessible parts of the car and often (Teslas, for example) require time at the dealership with a technician and the car on a ramp to be able to swap them out.

Not exactly something one can do down the local Esso, let alone in short order or for those who are elderly/infirm.

Bring on Mr Fusion and feeding it banana skins, etc! :-)

youtu.be/ptlhgFaB89Y

Either that or its mini nukes! :-)

youtu.be/UENRVfdnGxs?t=89

Any - EV vs Diesel - misar

Especially as most EV battery packs are stored in some of most inaccessible parts of the car and often (Teslas, for example) require time at the dealership with a technician and the car on a ramp to be able to swap them out.

Not exactly something one can do down the local Esso, let alone in short order or for those who are elderly/infirm.

Feasible with vehicles, batteries and mechanical handling systems designed for frequent, fast battery swopping. Foolish of me to expect only common sense on here.

Feasible with vehicles, batteries and mechanical handling systems designed for frequent, fast battery swopping. Foolish of me to expect only common sense on here.

Feasible is different to 'theoretically possible', old bean. I mean, have you seen how many battery cells a Tesla has, and how long it would take to manually disconnect them, haul them inside the 'service station' and the new ones out again? Or the amount of storage that facility would need to be able to hot swap enough to cover the same number as would use it to refill ICE vehicles per day?

Battery tech has not come anywhere near close yet to be able to take a battery pack that could easily be handled and replaced quickly, and the reason why pure EV with long ranges have their battery packs in a specially-designed underbody area is that they are used to keep the centre of gravity low, the weight reasonable balance front to back and to help stiffen the sub fame.

Currently, putting them in the boot would dramtically reduce the available space as well as make it handle worse, but still with the issues regarding hot-swapping.

Unless (no guarantee at this point, as even the best batteries are still about 9x less energy dense than petrol) the energy density of batteries can be hugely improved - bearing in mind to refuel a 55L petrol tank doesn' mean you remove it, haul it over to the booth and get another one - this sort of 'design' would be available any time soon - possibly for a very long time.

The ease of liquid/gaseous refuelling and high energy density is one of the biggest things in their favour. I wopuld say the 'superchargers' are a better bet, at least for the moment.

Common sense meaning being realistic (especially on timeframe/budgets) just as much as trying to think up innovative solutions to problems. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look for them though.

Feasible is different to 'theoretically possible', old bean. I mean, have you seen how many battery cells a Tesla has, and how long it would take to manually disconnect them, haul them inside the 'service station' and the new ones out again? Or the amount of storage that facility would need to be able to hot swap enough to cover the same number as would use it to refill ICE vehicles per day?

Battery tech has not come anywhere near close yet to be able to take a battery pack that could easily be handled and replaced quickly, and the reason why pure EV with long ranges have their battery packs in a specially-designed underbody area is that they are used to keep the centre of gravity low, the weight reasonable balance front to back and to help stiffen the sub fame.

Currently, putting them in the boot would dramtically reduce the available space as well as make it handle worse, but still with the issues regarding hot-swapping.

Unless (no guarantee at this point, as even the best batteries are still about 9x less energy dense than petrol) the energy density of batteries can be hugely improved - bearing in mind to refuel a 55L petrol tank doesn' mean you remove it, haul it over to the booth and get another one - this sort of 'design' would be available any time soon - possibly for a very long time.

The ease of liquid/gaseous refuelling and high energy density is one of the biggest things in their favour. I wopuld say the 'superchargers' are a better bet, at least for the moment.

Common sense meaning being realistic (especially on timeframe/budgets) just as much as trying to think up innovative solutions to problems. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look for them though.

To state the bleedin obvious again, a Tesla (or any currently conventional electric vehicle) has a massive battery because it needs one to deliver usable range between charges, because its rather long charge times largely restrict it to overnight charging.

IOW it has a big battery which and because it is not designed for swapping.

If you designed for manual swapping, you would have smaller batteries which you could swap more often, so you would need less total capacity.

Using the Gogoro system operational for scooters in Taiwan,which I've linked to a couple of times now, but is invisible to the "cant see it" contingent I'd think something like a beach buggy or Mini Moke, with cells inserted along the running board side members, would be nice.

With a conventional IC car (conversion?) layout, you could have a cell matrix under the bonnet where that noisy smelly thing that old people like me knew about was.

The old people will miss it, but they'll all be gone soon, too.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/07/2021 at 05:27

Any - EV vs Diesel - John F

The Chinese Nio EV company appears to be investing heavily in the battery-swap re-energising method....

www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/nio/

...but you just can't resolve the heft problem - lumps of energy weighing around fifty times as much as the equivalent easily transportable and dispensable liquid variety.

Any - EV vs Diesel - Lee Power

The Chinese Nio EV company appears to be investing heavily in the battery-swap re-energising method....

www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/nio/

...but you just can't resolve the heft problem - lumps of energy weighing around fifty times as much as the equivalent easily transportable and dispensable liquid variety.

Strangely enough, some large warehousing customers are now starting to look away from old fashioned swappable batteries for there electric forklift trucks & are looking to hydrogen fuel cells instead.

The fuel cell fits in exactly the same space the battery did so its compatible with current forklift designs.

Quicker to refuel & no battery handling issues.

<< Foolish of me to expect only common sense on here. >>

Knowing the scarcity of common sense here, yes, it was foolish of you not to describe more precisely what you had in mind.