What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
automatic - small smooth and easy - blindspot

looking to change the hyundai i10. .for something better,any suggestions wellcomed

automatic - small smooth and easy - FiestaOwner

looking to change the hyundai i10. .for something better,any suggestions wellcomed

Budget?

New or Used?

What age is the i10?

What do you mean by better? I ask this as we used to have a 2015 plate i10 in the family and it was a cracking car.

Are you after the same size of car again?

automatic - small smooth and easy - John F

What do you mean by better?

Isn't virtually any car 'better' than an i10?

automatic - small smooth and easy - SLO76
“ Isn't virtually any car 'better' than an i10?”

The current model is an excellent car.
automatic - small smooth and easy - alan1302

No, i10's are very good cars - did 130,000 miles in mine and enjoyed every minute in it.

automatic - small smooth and easy - paul 1963

....Nothing previously owned and not maintained by you.

Another silly and unhelpful comment from John.

automatic - small smooth and easy - Engineer Andy

Is the reason for changing that you just don't like how it drives?

To be able to know what to recommend, you'll need to let us know what you don't like about the car, plus approx. details on the existing one and budget for a replacement, so we can guage what you can afford (including any PX or private sale value of your i10.

Bear in mind that some issues with cars over how they drive are related to wear and tear issues that often can be repaired at a far cheaper price than buying a replacement car.

Can’t be answered without details. Is the budget £3,000 or £30,000? What sort of usage will it see?

i 10 is 2009 comfort model . the gearsc change smooth but the move off is sharp and the brakes where always over sharp, but not so much now. i want something more linear

. has to be auto.

easy to park place and reverse

to get in and out of

to service and repair

on the pocket

automatic - small smooth and easy - Random

Is telling us a budget in your blindspot?

prefer reverse camera and sensor. age 2013 up price sub £ 10.000 but could go to £20 000 if needed

most miles are urban . small sprints on motorway. maybe 22k year

Where roughly in the UK are you looking? A small auto isn’t as readily available as manuals. I’ll do a wee search in your area if you give me an approximate region.

luton area. i 've previously only bought new cars from dealers .others all private.

present thought are yaris hybrid. jazz ctv, picanto 3 zoe fiat 500 corsa e e up

Over 20,000 miles a year to go on this too?

just for the next 15 months probably. thats the rub. then maybe hand it over to daughter, if it's not to expensive.

With this fairly hefty mileage in mind I’d prioritise the last gen Toyota Yaris Hybrid. It’s not massively more economical than a CVT petrol auto version but it’ll be more sellable when you come to get rid of it with a well above average mileage where the ordinary auto would be worthless. The Mazda 2 1.5 auto is another excellent small self shifter. It’s a much nicer wee car to drive and it’ll be more refined on the motorway than the Yaris but as with almost any other small auto it’ll worth little with big miles up.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106123768393

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104141344058

Edited by SLO76 on 19/06/2021 at 14:34

I’d leave the electric options for now, I think the current crop of electric cars will become the Betamax of the motoring world as new battery tech arrives. They’re horrendously overpriced, have nowhere near the range advertised and the batteries are useless by year 7/8.
automatic - small smooth and easy - edlithgow

the brakes where always over sharp, but not so much now. i want something more linear

Hmmm…Seems a bit of a First World Problem, TBH, but maybe

(a) Wait. You imply that its getting better over time as it wears in

(b) Change the pads, possibly to something cheaper made in China that might not be so sportily aggressive

(c) Lightly oil them :)

Or of course buy a whole other car that you won’t be able test any better than the previous one, but which might by chance develop braking behavior you find more acceptable as it wears in.

I dunno if anyone could advise on plan D, which seems to involve some major subjectivities and uncertainties (though its surprising what people know and care about).and from a quick scan, no one has attempted to address your stated specific reasons in the replacement vehicle suggestions.

There might be knowledge about comparative brake pad behavior available though.

Edited by edlithgow on 20/06/2021 at 10:28

i did exactly that .replaced disc and pads with motor factors supply .and yes it did soften responce. the car always felt it would stop on a sixpence.but the brake feel and sure footedness was always missing for me.

automatic - small smooth and easy - FiestaOwner

New Dacia Sandero Comfort 1.0 TCe CVT Auto?

According to Dacia website it has the reversing camera and rear parking sensors. £12795. Would need to be ordered, don't know what the lead time is.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/2021022...1

“ New Dacia Sandero Comfort 1.0 TCe CVT Auto?”

Not a car I’d buy for this sort of mileage. 20k p/a put onto one of these will result in the car being near unsellable by year 3. We’re also talking about Renault running gear here which doesn’t have a great reputation for longevity. A Toyota Hybrid by comparison will always find a buyer even with 150k on the clock which it is well proved to be capable of and far beyond. There is an argument for keeping the Dacia under warranty and replacing it every 3yrs at circa 60k miles but try trading one in with well above average mileage and you’ll be horrified at the offer you’ll receive. The new CVT transmission is untested also being a new model so we don’t know if it’ll bypass Renaults past automatic gearbox reliability woes, they were always know for being fragile.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/06/2021 at 15:45

wow. you've done it again slo. truely matched a car to my needs and character.

will look hard at one of these. i do like value and basics

automatic - small smooth and easy - badbusdriver

“ Isn't virtually any car 'better' than an i10?”

The current model is an excellent car.

The current (2019 on) i10 is indeed an excellent car, but not as an auto. Hyundai have ditched the smooth T/C box for a single clutch automated manual. By what I have read, along with my own experience of a similar box in our Suzuki Ignis, this would very much best be avoided. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the current (2017 on) Kia Picanto still uses the T/C auto.

Obviously it depends on what you want from a car, but the i10, from second gen (2013/14) onwards, is regularly considered either the best, or one of the best cars in its class. My Mother in law bought hers new around 3 years ago and she thinks its the best car she has ever owned. Amongst many other things, it has a heated steering wheel, and an electric glass sunroof (not a panoramic roof, a proper 'old school' tilt'n'slide sunroof). She wouldn't have an A8 for love nor money!.

the kia picanto 2017 on with the bells and whistles would suit me .

i prefer a private purchase. . probaly pass the future car on to daughter, whose all about the economy so iam looking towards a yaris hybrid. any advice on what to watch out for

automatic - small smooth and easy - madf

Our 2012 Honda Jazz CVT has been faultless, drives superbly in town, easy to drive and carries an amazing amount of "Stuff".

Ideal town car. Changes are smooth and imperceptible.

“. Amongst many other things, it has a heated steering wheel,

My car has a solar heated steering wheel. I could do without that, too.

In fact sometimes I can't touch it

automatic - small smooth and easy - Engineer Andy

“. Amongst many other things, it has a heated steering wheel,

My car has a solar heated steering wheel. I could do without that, too.

In fact sometimes I can't touch it

Presumably you've nicknamed it 'MC Hammer'...

“ Presumably you've nicknamed it 'MC Hammer'...”

:-)
“ Presumably you've nicknamed it 'MC Hammer'...” :-)

Thats the motorcycle.