What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking scrape - barney100

Returned to the pride and joy in a Poole car park to find two neat 6” scratches over the rear wheel. No note from the person that did it and I couldn’t polish it out. In a body shop now.

Parking scrape - Halmerend
At 62 I’ve come to the conclusion that the chances of someone not damaging your car at some point are pretty low. I’m really careful but I haven’t had one car that hasn’t ended up with at least a door dink.
Parking scrape - _

I had a kind person recently parked next to the Sportage and opened their rear door and left a scuff breaking the varnish finish next to the fuel filler above the rear near side wheel arch.

will get ir done when i see me mate.

Parking scrape - SLO76
Another reason why I typically run older cars. The minor battle damage done by terrible drivers in car parks, while annoying is usually worn as a badge of honour on an old smoker. I’ve often found it pays to have a cheap older second car in which to soak up local miles and parking dents usually covers itself via the depreciation it saves on the newer car.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/06/2021 at 22:10

Parking scrape - Will deBeast

I had a bicycle stand collapse in my garage, dropping a bike on my (10 year old) mx-5.

The bonnet sustained most of the damage. It's aluminium.

The wing picked up a couple of very minor dents, but didn't break the paint.

I can't see any of them from the driver's seat, so tempted to just leave them.

I had wildly differing quotes but took the firm recommended by my indie, half what a body place down the road wanted.

Parking scrape - Andrew-T

In my experience something often happens to one's car quite soon after becoming its new owner. After that, life returns to normal.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/06/2021 at 09:29

Parking scrape - Alby Back
I take the view that cars are for using. If they pick up a few minor battle scars along the way, then so be it. I know some regard them as garden ornaments, but ultimately, they are just personal transport solutions.

Having said that, I do get it if you're trying to preserve some resale value, but I'm more of the mind to get the best car to suit my needs and wants that I can, and then just use it until it's on it's last legs.

Regularly ( before the apocalypse anyway ) I put 200,000 miles on my cars over five years. The odd wee parking or supermarket trolley ding or whatever is just one of those "hey ho" things.
Parking scrape - Chris M

Have to agree with you there Alby.

If someone wants to be that precious about their car then leave it in the garage. If you don't want supermarket dings, don't take it to the supermarket. If you don't want stone chips, don't drive on busy roads.

Parking scrape - Steveieb
My late wife was a nurse and the damage that her Golf sustained on the hospital car park was far in excess of any supermarket .
Patients arriving and leaving in a high state of stress inflicted unbelievable levels of damage on a weekly basis.
Best get a taxi there and back !

Got the car back and it's a really good repair.

Parking scrape - joegrundy

"Another reason why I typically run older cars."

Me too. When I was running my old (black) X type I used black nail varnish to touch up scrapes - much cheaper than 'official' touch-up paint. When cured and polished it was acceptable from a distance.

I did the same with my last car, an 07 Lacetti SW (also black). It was already a '3 yard' car (looks OK from three yards away) when I bought it and I aspired to no more than keeping it reasonably respectable from a distance. It's quite liberating not to worry about your 'pride and joy'. Shrug and keep things in perspective. It's quite illuminating to stand and watch a supermarket car park, or a McDonalds. Large numbers of big SUVs or VW Transporter 'Family' vans, or converted camper vans, with doors flung open with gay abandon and no regard for others.

I bought my current car (a black i10) a week ago. Mechanically very good (may need a new a/c compressor) and bodywork excellent - but I've found on the top of a rear door substantial corrosion under the rubber seal. Shows as minor bubbling on the outside and had been touched up but remove the seal and it's more serious, almost through. Local bodyshop suggests it might need a bit of welding and quotes £250+. Found another bit on the other rear door too. Final bill could easily be £400.

So I'm in abit of a quandary. Spend to have it done professionally, or do it myself, sanding back, using Jenolite, filler and rattle can (probable cost £50 ish). I'm tempted towards the latter - not primarily because of the cost but because although I hope that this car will be a long-term keeper it (and all cars) are always vulnerable to the £200+ 'minor damage. Generally I'm happy if my car looks reasonably clean and respectable, not bothered if it's not perfect.

Note: I believe that this car may have been built in India. There were known problems with Dacia Dusters built there with corrosion. Thinking about how it got into the rubber seal area, I wonder if the car has been a regular visitor to enthusiastic car washes. The industrial strength pressure washers they use (combined with who knows what chemicals) can easily force water where it wasn't meant to go, and it sits there. I have applied some ACF50 and have some Jenolite waxoil on order to do a full job.

Parking scrape - Andrew-T

<< doors flung open with gay abandon and no regard for others. >>

Many years ago a car parked alongside mine at an outdoor event. Soon one of the doors was vigorously opened hitting one of mine. The driver, who I knew vaguely, blamed the dog, and seemed to think it didn't matter at all.

Parking scrape - sammy1

If you see a car parked well away from everyone else even if I have to walk a lot further then that's me although sometimes cannot be avoided but even then I am picky and avoid the big wide ones if possible

Parking scrape - nellyjak

If you see a car parked well away from everyone else even if I have to walk a lot further then that's me although sometimes cannot be avoided but even then I am picky and avoid the big wide ones if possible

Me too..!!...though it often doesn't work..I've parked many times at the furthest distance away only to find when I return my car has been "befriended" by at least one other..it's some kind of herding instinct I reckon and they must feel your car is lonely so needs a companion.

Edited by nellyjak on 18/06/2021 at 14:03

Parking scrape - Warning

I am the person who parks as far away from other people, often at the other end of hte car park, where there are plenty of empty spaces. Only to find someone has parked right next to, despite all the empty spaces. It happened a lot of my previous car, I don't know what attracted the. My current car is the same make and model, but has n't happened as often.

Parking scrape - Warning

How much does it cost to repair just a damage? Do they need to re-spray the entire car?

Parking scrape - Xileno

If one panel has been damaged then usually they blend in and extra panel or two on the same side in my experience. It depends on the person's skills, like all trades there are good and bad ones out there. I think it depends on the colour as well, some are harder to blend in.

Quotes were varied from £400 to £200 from a well known come to you lot, my indie recommended a body shop near him and the job cost £200.