What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
multilane roundabouts. - barney100

I'm finding many multi lane roundabouts are losing their lane markings. When there are traffic lights at busy periods the traffic builds up and on green it can be like the start of a Grand Prix with drivers changing the lanes that have little paint to mark them. last weekend on a trip to Warwickshire one such roundabout seemed have no lanes marked at all. Is it the same nationwide?

multilane roundabouts. - _

It is the same nationwide.

I have noticed it a lot around here too. (Essex)

multilane roundabouts. - John F

Try negotiating the Place de l'Etoile!

multilane roundabouts. - catsdad

I did that once with a local in a Citroen people carrier he flung around like a go-cart. He said it was a favourite place to create an insurance claim accident. This was years before it became a thing in U.K.

multilane roundabouts. - barney100

Non merci. I've driven around the outskirts of Paris a bit and it is a nightmare.

multilane roundabouts. - FP

The bodywork of lot of French cars is in poor condition and it seems the owners have little to lose if they add a few dents from time to time.

I was speaking to a French surgeon a few years ago who was working in a private hospital to gain experience and improve his English. He said how he was amazed that most English cars were so well looked-after.

On another occasion he said, "Do not tthhink I came here for your varm beer or your English wethair." He had a very condescending attitude, proudly announcing that his plan was to perfect his English and move to America to become mega-rich.

Edited by FP on 15/06/2021 at 11:27

multilane roundabouts. - daveyjp

About a month ago all the white lines on local streets were redone and they needed it as they hadn't been done for years and we have had gas, cable and electric digging trenches.

On Friday we received a leaflet informing us that this week the same streets are being surface dressed which will cover all the new white lines!

Edited by daveyjp on 15/06/2021 at 11:49

multilane roundabouts. - Andrew-T

On another occasion he said, "Do not tthhink I came here for your varm beer or your English wethair." He had a very condescending attitude, proudly announcing that his plan was to perfect his English and move to America to become mega-rich.

I was starting to wonder how we got here so fast from 'multilane roundabouts' .... :-)

"I was starting to wonder how we got here so fast from 'multilane roundabouts' .... :-)

A momentary ramble. I believe it's called "thread drift". Anyway, since that, the thread has been wrenched back on course.

multilane roundabouts. - groaver

I was wondering why he slipped from a "French" to a " German" accent momentarily.

Edited by groaver on 16/06/2021 at 09:13

"I was wondering why he slipped from a "French" to a " German" accent momentarily."

I attempted to transcribe what he said as accurately as possible. In some French words the letter w is pronounced v, e.g. wagon (railway carriage), but in others not, especially if the word is an English import, e.g. weekend.

I assume this guy, who was still struggling a bit with English, was not being consistent.

multilane roundabouts. - groaver

"I was wondering why he slipped from a "French" to a " German" accent momentarily."

I attempted to transcribe what he said as accurately as possible. In some French words the letter w is pronounced v, e.g. wagon (railway carriage), but in others not, especially if the word is an English import, e.g. weekend.

I assume this guy, who was still struggling a bit with English, was not being consistent.

;-)

multilane roundabouts. - John F

Non merci. I've driven around the outskirts of Paris a bit and it is a nightmare.

I don't know what it's like now but decades ago the best way to make progress on the peripherique was to tail a French taxi driver.

multilane roundabouts. - Engineer Andy

I'm finding many multi lane roundabouts are losing their lane markings. When there are traffic lights at busy periods the traffic builds up and on green it can be like the start of a Grand Prix with drivers changing the lanes that have little paint to mark them. last weekend on a trip to Warwickshire one such roundabout seemed have no lanes marked at all. Is it the same nationwide?

IMHO Councils have used COVID as an excuse to just stop the vast majority of work that affects most people - street cleaning/sweeping (loads on debris at the kerbside, ironic given they are trying to get people to cycle), even worse fixing of potholes than before, similar for lane markings, repairing damaged signs, etc.

multilane roundabouts. - Bromptonaut

IMHO Councils have used COVID as an excuse to just stop the vast majority of work that affects most people - street cleaning/sweeping (loads on debris at the kerbside, ironic given they are trying to get people to cycle), even worse fixing of potholes than before, similar for lane markings, repairing damaged signs, etc.

It may be a reason rather than an excuse but for all government's munificence over Furlough etc Austerity is still a very real thing when it comes to Government funding for Councils which the Council Tax only tops up.

multilane roundabouts. - sammy1

Multilane roundabouts are fine if you are local to an area and know the thing. Lines or no lines if you are new to the thing they can be a nightmare from deciding the lane to enter to then leaving. Some have one lane exiting the thing and others two with the locals haring around it. A lot of them have traffic lights which if you are not moving and in the wrong lane well you know! A good example is Exeter services under the M5, try finding them watching the signs and the writing on the lane. You do get the odd cyclist exiting from an A road on a "suicide mission" If they had any sense they would get off and push far too dangerous for them here!