Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - rorygee

Hello

Hoping someone can help with an issue I've got as the dealership want to wash their hands.

I bought a new GLA 220d in the middle of May and a week later my wife noticed a very strong burning smell coming from the engine compartment after the school run (a 32 mile round trip on mainly fast-flowing A roads). Emailed the dealer, got told to keep our eye on it.

A week later I noticed the same thing, a really strong burning smell and excessive heat radiation from the engine. 45 minutes after arriving home the bonnet was still hot to touch.
Should mention that we normally average around 56-60mpg on the school run but on both those days the average was around 40-42mpg. When I got to school it was 61mpg so the return trip I got only 23mpg!

I called the dealer and he told me to bring it in for a diagnostics. This showed that a DPF regen was attempted on both those days but failed to complete because the ignition was switched off (first time after 18 minutes, second time after 23 minutes). When I bought the car no mention was made of a DPF filer or that it needed regular cleaning.
However, I did a bit of research and it seems the process should normally take between 5-10 minutes to complete.
Begs the question why mine failed twice and resulted in such reduced fuel economy.

There were other issues, dashboard vibration, steering wheel 'clicking', failure to engage 'glide' mode so the garage took it in and held onto it for almost two weeks.
Got it back two days ago and the 'glide' is now working but all the other issues remain and now there is more vibration and excessive play on the steering wheel.

I met with the General Manager and a technician and he gave me a Mercedes technical document on the DPF and explained that even though the process hadn't completed it most likely had blown out most of the soot. That put my mind at rest, sort of. I asked the technical guy how long a regen process should take, he said 20-30 minutes. Seemed excessive, but I left it at that. However, when I got home I read the technical document that states "The regeneration process takes a few minutes and depends on..."
A few minutes, not 20-30 minutes. Alarm bells ringing now so I email the technician and ask why he said 20-30 when Mercedes say "a few".

He got back to me and said there is no set limit for a regen process and sent me a document explaining the short distance trips process. Pointless really because my trips are over 30 miles on mainly A-roads at speeds of 55-65mph so the info he sent is not applicable to my circumstances.

Surely a 32 mile round trip on A-roads in summer should be enough to complete a DPF regen cycle? I have a gut feeling that there is a fault in the system somewhere but they are denying it because there are no diagnostic errors pointing to a problem. They say it is functioning as intended, which I dispute.

I think the process is perhaps completing in a "few" minutes but the system doesn't recognise this and so continues to inject fuel into the exhaust system when it really shouldn't, causing over-heating and the atrocious burning smell on arrival back home, combined with the extremely low fuel aconomy experienced during the regen attempt. The dealership are discounting this possibility, even though the regen process continued for 23 minutes.

I did some calculations too. I was interested to find out how much fuel was injected into the exhaust system to heat it up sufficiently to burn off the accumulated soot.
It turn out that the trip to school (16 miles) used 1.2 litres of fuel and the trip back used 3.2 litres... so the DPF regen process used 2 litres of diesel (£2.50), took 23 minutes and still didn't complete! It doesn't add up to me, but I'm no expert. If this regen process happens roughtly every 300 miles as Mercedes say, then over 3 litres of every 43-litre tankful (7.5% of the tank) is being 'wasted' - basically to heat up the exhaust system.

I think these figures prove that there is a fault and I'm within my rights to reject this car (still within 30 days as the garage had it for 2 weeks).

I spoke to my brother who has had a diesel Skoda Yeti from new (2015) and has never experienced issues with the DPF regen, no burning, no noticeable reduction in fuel economy etc. I'm assuming this is how it should work and I've been unlucky to get a lemon.

I would be grateful for any opinions or insights. Does this seem totally unreasonable? Should I even notice the burning, is it over-heating, why the excessive use of fuel? So many questions the dealership seem incapable of answering.

Obviously I'm very unhappy with my GLA ownership and really want to reject it. We chose Mercedes because our previous car (a 2012 A-Class) provided 9 years of trouble-free motoring and we never noticed any DPF issues. It just worked and I expected the GLA to do likewise.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help.

RoryG

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - Bromptonaut

If this is a brand new car then you may well be justified in rejecting it. The Which website has a useful page on the issue:

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-b...b?

We have a Citroen Berlingo with a DPF. If it regenerates while driving then I don't notice. Occasionally when we stop the radiator fan continues to run which I believe may indicate a regen in progress. The DPF will get hot whilst regenerating and it wouldn't be surprising if. on a new car, it smelled a bit until any factory dressing etc of components has burned off.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like you’ve got a lemon here . I would reject it while the goings good . A new car should perform faultlessly without issues and rattles and bangs .
Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - MP98

Not sure there’s a legitimate reason to reject here and nothing to suggest it’s a lemon.

You certainly can’t compare experience with a 2015 diesel, they’re worlds apart in terms of the requirements demanded to achieve emissions targets and the technology at play. Plus different cars are designed differently - if the DPF is closer to the engine it gets warmer naturally for instance.

i also doubt you can complain that no one mentioned the DPF at purchase. That’s like saying no one told you the car has a radiator or other similar essential parts. It’s part of a Diesel engine, simple as (I assume you know about AdBlu too? If not, get googling urgently).

My understanding of DPFs though is never, ever turn off in the middle of a cycle (indicated by the symptoms your wife experienced). It’s sometimes difficult to do in practice (what do you do if you’ve just arrived at work?!), but you need to keep going and let the cycle complete. I believe the lower mpg is the fuel being used to power the regeneration.

I’ll defer to others who know the engineering better, but I don’t think you’re experiencing anything unique to your car given the usage. I suspect every GLA would behave the same, but different brands will have different tolerances ..... they’ll all need to trigger the re-gen at some stage though.

For comparison, my BMW diesel runs incredibly hot (and ‘smells’ hot) infrequently so I know it’s completing a re-gen.... but I frequently do single trips of 175 miles without stopping at 70 mph. I honestly wouldn’t want to run it for shorter trips like yours though - that sounds like petrol territory, not current diesel.

Good luck though, re-post what happens!

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - Palcouk

Personally I would not buy a diesel unless my annual mileage acceded 12k

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - Gibbo_Wirral

Personally I would not buy a diesel unless my annual mileage acceded 12k

Same. And / or wasn't all local driving.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - Tester

'I met with the General Manager and a technician and he gave me a Mercedes technical document on the DPF and explained that even though the process hadn't completed it most likely had blown out most of the soot.'

If that's exactly what he said, then you seem to have a dodgy garage as well as perhaps a dodgy car! DPF regeneration does not 'blow out the soot'. On the contrary, it creates (a small amount of) soot by burning the captured particulates to reduce their size and volume. The leftovers from this process stay put in the DPF and eventually block it, when you or a subsequent owner will have to have the filter cleaned or replaced.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - DPF regeneration problems... reject car? - Tester

Oh dear, replying to my own reply now! (Couldn't see the 'Edit' option.)

My mistake: where I wrote that DPF regen creates soot, I should have said that it creates ash. I think that the rest of it is OK, though, that regen doesn't blow anything substantial out of the DPF but reduces the volume of what is in the filter, and if the technician said otherwise then I'd be seeking a different garage to look at this problem.