What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
depreciation, ice v ev. - barney100

Any one know the depreciation rates of EVs compared with ice cars?

depreciation, ice v ev. - movilogo

Depreciation rate is often dependent on supply and demand not a fixed number.

My personal opinion is that EV will depreciate faster than ICE. One can always buy a better EV later but ICE cars will become antique like in few years time - pushing used values up.

depreciation, ice v ev. - Terry W

Pure speculation but I think time horizon has some impact. In the next (say) 3 years:

• s/h and new EVs will depreciate fairly quickly. New EVs have significantly better range at a lower cost as battery prices continue to fall.
  • sales of new ICE will continue to decline - sales of new EV will increase. There may be little impact on the price of new or s/h ICE vehicles

Go forward more than 3 years:

• EV sales will start to overtake ICE
  • ICE development will stall - manufacturers will not invest in a technological dead end
  • New car launches will be designed around EV needs.
  • EVs will start to hold their value far better than ICE

By 2028 - the bottom will fall out of the ICE market - they will be a choice for resolute petrol heads or the few whose real needs cannot then be met by an EV.

depreciation, ice v ev. - pd

Depends which EV. Teslas have excellent residuals, an early Zoe with a leased battery not so much!

depreciation, ice v ev. - expat
By 2028 - the bottom will fall out of the ICE market - they will be a choice for resolute petrol heads or the few whose real needs cannot then be met by an EV.

Go forward past 2028 and as petrol cars become scarcer sales of petrol will drop and service stations will start to remove their pumps. This is assuming that the changeover to EVs goes as the governments have planned. We all know what often happens to govt plans. I think that our existing ICE vehicles will be OK for at least fifteen years and that is as much as most of them will last.

depreciation, ice v ev. - madf

Will any Government in (say) 2032 resist the need for more revenue by increasing taxes on fuel to Quote" speed up the switch to EVs and save the planet"?

Of course they will not.

So expect any fuel driven cars to be worthless by 2036.

(It is so obvious )

Tesla have well designed battery cooling systems so battery degradation is limited. Hence low depreciation (and high demand)

Renault have no battery cooling so battery degradation - and depreciation - is high.

Edited by madf on 09/06/2021 at 11:34

depreciation, ice v ev. - sammy1

ICE cars sold today will probably have a life span of 20 years or more so that is a good 10 years beyond 2030 and they will be made in quantity up to the cut off year. The less well off will still need affordable transport which will come from ICE rather than electric. As for the rest of the world what will they be driving ,EVs are just not practical for a large population of the planet We are halfway into 2021 and I do not see any rapid progress in EV in the UK

The average age of scrapping a car is about 13 years. You'd be surprised how many newer ones - 12, 11 plate etc you'll see in an average scrap yard.

I see no particular reason why that'll change, at least for ICE cars, in the near future.

depreciation, ice v ev. - alan1302

We are halfway into 2021 and I do not see any rapid progress in EV in the UK

Maybe start looking around? Most manufactuerers are heavily promoting them - you see many more on the roads.

depreciation, ice v ev. - Warning

I have a 16 year old. Is it really eco-friendly, for me to buy a used EV. It will be a waste, as I do low mileage. May be they should let the gas guzzlers, which still have life in them to be owned by people who don't do high mileage. Those who do high mileage, should be encouraged to upgrade.

I'm surprised people aren't seeing EVs about. The main roads of Britain see to be littered with them as far as I can see. Loads of Teslas and new shape Leafs etc.

Seeing a surprising number of cars with the green number plates about as well.

They are still a minority of sales but there are plenty about.

depreciation, ice v ev. - Bolt

I'm surprised people aren't seeing EVs about. The main roads of Britain see to be littered with them as far as I can see. Loads of Teslas and new shape Leafs etc.

Seeing a surprising number of cars with the green number plates about as well.

They are still a minority of sales but there are plenty about.

Hardly any Leafs around my way, but loads of Teslas, also plenty of Hyundai ioniqs about but not as many as Toyotas, they are almost everywhere now and plenty of new ones around both Auris and Prius