What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lucky escape - Xileno

This could so very easily have had a different outcome.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-57284221

Lucky escape - badbusdriver

This could so very easily have had a different outcome.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-57284221

Pretty scary

Lucky escape - bathtub tom

I narrowly escaped a similar event in the 70s. A brick lorry coming round a LH bend as I was going the other way. I happened to notice the load was shifting and booted it (spinning the car as I went into the corner). The car behind copped it.

Lucky escape - brum

I narrowly escaped a similar event in the 70s. A brick lorry coming round a LH bend as I was going the other way. I happened to notice the load was shifting and booted it (spinning the car as I went into the corner). The car behind copped it.

I heard a sad tale of a former client who was a really nice guy. On his way home from work, realised he'd forgotten to do something he had promised someone and turned back to work. A couple of hours later on his way back home, stopped at traffic lights, a lorry loaded high with bricks, pulled up along side him, the whole load tipped over and crushed his BMW 5 series iirc, he didn't survive, wrong place, wrong time

Lucky escape - Andrew-T

During a student vac job many years ago, I was cycling home just as a lemonade lorry tipped its load rounding a bend, with the same result as those bricks. Luckily no-one was hurt, but I acted as temp traffic control until authority arrived.

Lucky escape - galileo

I saw this on another forum, it was pointed out that packs of bricks or breeze blocks should not be loaded on a flat-bed truck but on a truck with side boards: if the shrink wrap on the pack fails blocks and bricks can fall off, even if retaining straps hold the pack in place.

The driver will be done for 'insecure load' and whoever loaded it may also be liable for blame.

Lucky escape - Engineer Andy

I saw this on another forum, it was pointed out that packs of bricks or breeze blocks should not be loaded on a flat-bed truck but on a truck with side boards: if the shrink wrap on the pack fails blocks and bricks can fall off, even if retaining straps hold the pack in place.

The driver will be done for 'insecure load' and whoever loaded it may also be liable for blame.

And hopefully dangerous driving, given anyone with a ounce of common sense knew it wasn't safe to drive, plus cornering at that speed was reckless with any load, let alone one (as you rightly say) that was not secure or suitable for the truck.

I hope the authorities throw the proverbial book at them and their P.I. cover goes up a lot.

Lucky escape - Sofa Spud

In the video the lorry is clearly going too fast. A case of dangerous driving, I reckon.

Lucky escape - craig-pd130

Scary indeed. Would have been even worse if it had been a biker.

Lucky escape - Middleman

A relative of mine was driving home from work when a scaffold lorry in front shed a pole. It bounced off the road, up on to his bonnet, pierced the windscreen on the passenger side and embedded itself in the headrest of the passenger seat. He normally picked up his wife on the way home and she would have been sitting in that seat. But she'd taken a day off sick that day. He was most annoyed with her. His argument was that it wouldn't have happened at all (well, not to him) if she'd been at work because he would normally have taken a five minute detour to pick her up.

Edited by Middleman on 29/05/2021 at 21:37

Lucky escape - Zippy123

In 2007 I was in a fast (3.2l v6) convertible, roof down, in no rush to get to my hotel so stayed some distance behind a tarpaulin covered HGV whilst going up a hill on a dual carriage way.

A scaffold board flew off the top of the HGV and I just pressed the throttle and closed the gap - luckily, as the board sailed inches over the car and hit the road just behind me.

I am convinced that if I had not closed the gap, the board would have gone through the windscreen.

I had a business connection with the vehicle repairers that had to deal with the aftermath of this: DJ killed by flying motorway Cat's-eye | Daily Echo

The only structural damage was the windscreen. The interior was covered in blood. The insurers wanted the car cleaned up and put back on the road. The staff and management of the repair co refused and as I understand it, the car was scrapped.

Lucky escape - badbusdriver

In one of my first places of work (around 1987), doing 'work experience', in a car body repair garage in the Shetland Isles, a MK2 Vauxhall Cavalier was taken in on the back of a breakdown truck. The roof had been peeled back from windscreen to the tailgate, drivers seat bent back with lots of dried blood on it. Turned out a truck driver tried overtaking a tractor on a bend, half way past he sees the Cavalier coming towards him, jumps on the brakes, back of the truck swings round and the Cavalier driver, having nowhere else to go, went under the rear overhang of the truck. Needless to say, the Cavalier driver was killed instantly.

After us having to push the car into the workshop, none of the workers at the garage wanted to see the remains of the Cavalier again, so a large tarpaulin was found to cover it up till the insurers took it away.

It was a very sobering experience.

In one of my first places of work (around 1987), doing 'work experience', in a car body repair garage in the Shetland Isles, a MK2 Vauxhall Cavalier was taken in on the back of a breakdown truck. The roof had been peeled back from windscreen to the tailgate, drivers seat bent back with lots of dried blood on it. Turned out a truck driver tried overtaking a tractor on a bend, half way past he sees the Cavalier coming towards him, jumps on the brakes, back of the truck swings round and the Cavalier driver, having nowhere else to go, went under the rear overhang of the truck. Needless to say, the Cavalier driver was killed instantly.

After us having to push the car into the workshop, none of the workers at the garage wanted to see the remains of the Cavalier again, so a large tarpaulin was found to cover it up till the insurers took it away.

It was a very sobering experience.

Indeed. Perhaps if more young people (and some older ones) saw the effects of accidents like that first hand that they might think twice before engaging in reckless driving to impress their mates or get home/to a meeting 5 minutes earlier.

I was cerainly affected in my approach to driving because two of my fellow sixth-formers at school were killed (both the front passenger) in car accidents, one because of reckless driving.

One thing I've often noticed whilst either driving, cycling or just out for a walk is how many people drive vans and trucks as if they're driving their own personal car. I think too many of them forget that these large, heavier and especially higher-sided, poorly handling and (in comparison, underpowered) vehicles are just not capable of the same manouvres a car is.

I a way, I'm glad that my first car was a low-powered Micra, rather than one like my current Mazda 3 - it gave me a sense of perspective to know what is and isn't possible or safe, especially as regards overtaking or taking corners at speed. It also made me very wary when following vans/HGVs who were themselves 'stuck' behind a slow moving vehicle like a car towing a caravan or farm vehicle.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 31/05/2021 at 12:04

Lucky escape - bathtub tom

a MK2 Vauxhall Cavalier was taken in on the back of a breakdown truck. The roof had been peeled back from windscreen to the tailgate, drivers seat bent back with lots of dried blood on it. Turned out a truck driver tried overtaking a tractor on a bend, half way past he sees the Cavalier coming towards him, jumps on the brakes, back of the truck swings round and the Cavalier driver, having nowhere else to go, went under the rear overhang of the truck. Needless to say, the Cavalier driver was killed instantly

I did an RAC/ACU motorcycle training course back in the '60s, like an earlier mod here, PU. Part of that course included a non obligartory screening of car accidents. One of the after events included a film of (allegedly) Jayne Mansfield's crash. It was meant to be shocking, thought provoking and horrifying. It concentrated the mind wonderfully. Several who attended left the room. I survived (so far) to my '70s.

Scary indeed. Would have been even worse if it had been a biker.

Or any car designed from 20 years ago or more. I doubt if my old 90s Micra (2 star NCAP from back then, so a LOT worse than a 2 star car today) would've fared much better, although the biker might've been able to swerve out of the way if their reactions and skills were good enough.

At least the lorry itself didn't overturn (it almost did), as the chances of getting out unharmed even for a newer (safer) car would be quite low.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 31/05/2021 at 12:05