What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - James Wellsted

HI all,

After 5 happy years in my superb estate I'm moving to pastures new...

The car i'm looking at (a Golf) has the 1.5 TSI Evo (130) and after reading through some stuff online from 2019/2020 I'm now terrified that this engine is a complete lemon and I should avoid at all costs...

If the car had the kangaroo-ing issue would it be 100% obvious in a test drive or is it of the intermittent variety? Do most engines have it or is it not that common? After reading the stories of unhappy owners having a software update that didn't actually fix the issue it gave me flashbacks to having the emissions update done and then promptly removed from my superb... :-D

I was intentionally looking at the 1.5 because i thought the 1 litre would be under-powered. Is this the case?

Anyway, any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Thanks all!

Jamie

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - Engineer Andy

There were reports documented here of problems well after the 'software fix', but I suspect that was more to do with cars yet to go into their local dealer for the fix to be applied.

If the car is a brand new one, then it likely will have already had the fix or, for the updated engines, it won't need them due to, I think, the addition of a mild hybrid system which seems to do the same job as the software fix on the original engines.

One thing to note is that I don't recall reading any comment threads or news reports (on this website or elsewhere) about this issue for at least 9 months, possibly a year, so I suspoect the issues are resolved. Unlike those for certain Mercedes, perhaps...

Hopefully another Backroomer can either confirm the above or correct any errors I may have inadvertantly made if my memory was suspect on this issue.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - badbusdriver

I was intentionally looking at the 1.5 because i thought the 1 litre would be under-powered. Is this the case?

Whether or not the 1.0 is underpowered for you will depend entirely on how much power you feel you need. I've seen it mentioned often on the forum in the past, scepticism on how or if a 1.0 could power a car the size of a Golf (or Octavia). To me, the size of the engine isn't relevant, the power and torque figures are, and IMO, the 1.0 has plenty for most.

If you tow a caravan, regularly have a car full of people and luggage or always have to be in front of any other road users, perhaps not. But for most folk, in most circumstances, I wouldn't see the 1.0 as being something to worry about. Perhaps a test drive though?.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - Engineer Andy

Whether or not the 1.0 is underpowered for you will depend entirely on how much power you feel you need. I've seen it mentioned often on the forum in the past, scepticism on how or if a 1.0 could power a car the size of a Golf (or Octavia). To me, the size of the engine isn't relevant, the power and torque figures are, and IMO, the 1.0 has plenty for most.

If you tow a caravan, regularly have a car full of people and luggage or always have to be in front of any other road users, perhaps not. But for most folk, in most circumstances, I wouldn't see the 1.0 as being something to worry about. Perhaps a test drive though?.

Indeed - especially if the car chosen has other qualities. For example, the (VAG) Skoda Fabia has a decent sized boot (smaller than the Golf, but still 330L) and one of its 1L engine variants produces 110PS, which means it's quite quick for a car of that size.

The OP may care to know that the 1L turbo petrols are normally at least a match (if not better) for previous generation 1.6L naturally aspirated petrol enegines. The 1.4/1.5Ts of this world are a step up in performance (especially those with 150PS), but a 1L turbo may often be more than enough for most people.

I think that the OP should pay more attention to how the car drives, rather than raw figures concerning engine capacity and suchlike. Best to find one that suits their needs in actual usage. Hence why a decent length test drive on a range of different road types/speeds is a must.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - skidpan

When we swapped our 1.4 150PS TSi Superb last year we were equally concerned about the kangarooing and managed to get 3 long test drives (Passat and Superb, 2 were in the same car, kept Superb overnight) in an attempt to confirm the situation either way. All drives were in auto's (its what we were buying) and all were from stone cold (when the issue was said to be worse). Happy to report no issues at all but we did not care for the combination of gearbox and engine (especially in the Superb) so we decided they were not the cars for us.

Can also report that the Fabia 110PS hatch we have is really great but to be honest I would not like to drop from owning a Superb and have the Fabia as my only car. Space wise the Fabia is a match for the Golf Mk's 2 and 3 we owned, cars we lived with as our main car between 1986 and 2003. Performance from the 110PS engine is excellent and economy is about 49 mpg average over 3 years, better than the Golf 1.9 TDi 90 we had. Would I want a bigger car than the Fabia with this engine, could not say for definite without driving one over a long period but its my gut feeling that we have been spoit with the 1.4 TSi's, you would need to get a good long drive over all road types to ensure you would be happy.

Main problem with the 110 PS is supply, used ones are not exactly everywhere (we struggled to get a test 3 years ago) and new ones were discontinued last year. The new Fabia is out later this year (bigger and supposedly better) and the 110 PS should back.

But in the meantime why not look at a Scala. Slightly bigger than a Golf (much bigger boot) and available with the 110 PS engine and the 150 PS 1.5.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - tim10597

The June edition of What Car magazine has a long term test on a Skoda Octavia 1.5 and there is reference in there to it being ‘jerky’ when setting off from cold. It’s a relatively new car, so it would appear that the issue may not be resolved.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - badbusdriver

Going back to the issue of whether a Golf 1.0TSI would be underpowered, I started thinking back to when a worked at a VW dealer in 2000. At that time, apart from the VR5, VR6 and GTI 1.8t, the most powerful Golf was the 2.0. This had 115bhp and 170Nm of torque at 2400rpm. The 110bhp 1.0TSI in the Golf makes its 200Nm of torque from 2000-3000rpm, and is more or less the same weight as the 2.0.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - daveyK_UK
The issue is not resolved from what I have read, check out the owners forums
Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - James Wellsted

Hi all,

First of all thanks for the extensive replies, really massively appreciated!

The dealer is offering a 15 minute test drive only and I'm assuming he's going to pre warm the car. From what's been said here and what I've read subsequently on seat, vw and skoda forums I think the software fixes aren't as effective for the 130 as for the 150. We will probably give this one a miss.

Thanks again!

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - lordwoody

I've got this car and we're very happy with it, we've never had any issues with it and were given it to try on an extended test drive ( pre-Covid), it's never played up in the least.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - aylesby

I have the 2018 hatch from new and never had these problems which I put down to having the automatic box.

Hi all,

First of all thanks for the extensive replies, really massively appreciated!

The dealer is offering a 15 minute test drive only and I'm assuming he's going to pre warm the car. From what's been said here and what I've read subsequently on seat, vw and skoda forums I think the software fixes aren't as effective for the 130 as for the 150. We will probably give this one a miss.

Thanks again!

15 Minutes only? If that's the most they are offering, then I'd forget it.

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - Catfood

To me, the issue is not only the technical aspect but mainly the way the dealer and VW UK treats their customer after the issue's been identified.

It seems there is lack of communication, reluntance to acknowledge / denial of the issue.

They have done twice with Dieselgate & 1.5TSI....What's next ?

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 1.5 TSI EVO (130) - Issues still persist? - SLO76
I have recently had a shot of a Seat Leon with the 1.0 TSi motor and I found it surprisingly spritely. It would do me fine but it’s down to the individual so I’d ask for a decent test drive.