What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New defender - Rusty - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve seen it all now , you can customise your new Defender with rusty panels . heritagecustoms.nl/collections/valiance-new-defend...h
New defender - Rusty - Metropolis.
And 22” rims, a sad direction for a once proud brand. I know it is aftermarket but just wish LR would have made the real thing (a workhorse, not the rust) instead of this very capable crossover. Could have called it the ‘Adventurer’ or something, or as many suggest on the LR Forums, a better Discovery 5.

Edited by Metropolis. on 14/05/2021 at 17:21

New defender - Rusty - Xileno

Bizarre - but each to their own.

I wonder how these new Defenders are selling since I've only seen one despite having a JLR dealer about seven mile away.

New defender - Rusty - badbusdriver

I wonder how these new Defenders are selling since I've only seen one despite having a JLR dealer about seven mile away.

I see plenty.

I’ve seen it all now , you can customise your new Defender with rusty panels . heritagecustoms.nl/collections/valiance-new-defend...h

As to the above?, as Xileno says, each to their own, but for me, no thanks!.

New defender - Rusty - davecooper

Only seen one myself which is fine because I think they are dog ugly. But each to their own though, we can't all like the same thing... thankfully.

There is a fairly late model Porsche Carrera in my area, fully wrapped in Martini livery complete with rust and various other battle scars. Even the headlights are wrapped to look weathered and it is fitted with a retro roof rack. Some sort of psuedo desert rally look I suppose.

Edited by davecooper on 14/05/2021 at 18:16

New defender - Rusty - nellyjak

Bizarre indeed...but no doubt someone with more money than taste or sense will buy it.

Like many others I've only seen just one on the road,

New defender - Rusty - _

A bit off subject, but in the news today were photos of a certain middle east defence force with some very battered Land Rovers..

New defender - Rusty - SLO76
I see loads of them locally and I’ll wager every one of them is on a PCP or lease, none look like they’re being used as anything other than school run show off wagons. I’ve yet to spot any being driven by a farmer but the new low spec commercial version may attract a few buyers despite the insane prices.
New defender - Rusty - Engineer Andy

If someone wants a proper 4x4 that looks rusty, why don't they just buy a Jeep, pocket the huge difference and watch it go rust the old-fashioned way? :-)

New defender - Rusty - edlithgow

If someone wants a proper 4x4 that looks rusty1, why don't they just buy a Jeep, pocket the huge difference and watch it go rust the old-fashioned way? :-)

Well. I suppose if someone wanted a proper 4x4 that looks rusty, that might be what they'd do.

But they don't, so they do this instead.

If someone wants a proper 4x4 that looks rusty1, why don't they just buy a Jeep, pocket the huge difference and watch it go rust the old-fashioned way? :-)

Well. I suppose if someone wanted a proper 4x4 that looks rusty, that might be what they'd do.

But they don't, so they do this instead.

A pity they didn't spend money on a 4x4 that's reliable either.

New defender - Rusty - Stackman II

The other day I saw a new Defender which had been given the Kahn treatment.

It was white with black contrast panels and ridiculous wheels.

It wasn't quite as offensive as the Mansory vehicles we saw at Geneva a couple of years ago but wasn't far off.

These are beginning to grow on me, to me they look better in the metal than in photos. I prefer the SWB with the steel wheels, it seems closer to the original. I can imagine one of these darkening my driveway in the future once the prices come down and any reliability issues have been solved.

New defender - Rusty - Ethan Edwards

Let's say I'm a farmer and want a basic no frills go anywhere vehicle. Like an old Defender. This one is not for me. Why can they not continue to make a cheaper simple off roader. With a lever that goes guddunk and you can then get out of the mud. They aren't going to sell this luxo barge to the military are they.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 17/05/2021 at 11:37

"Why can they not continue to make a cheaper simple off roader"

More money in the premium end of the market, and LR is a small producer. Most farmers I've seen use Japanese 4x4 pickups and have done for quite a few years.

I wouldn't think the profit margins were that good on the old Defender, weren't they largely hand-built?

"Why can they not continue to make a cheaper simple off roader"

More money in the premium end of the market, and LR is a small producer. Most farmers I've seen use Japanese 4x4 pickups and have done for quite a few years.

I wouldn't think the profit margins were that good on the old Defender, weren't they largely hand-built?

Farmers aren't stupid (why they mostly buy reliable Japanese and Korean 4x4s, not modern day Land/Range Rovers), unlike the Chelsea tractor brigade, who appear to have more money than sense.

Eventually Land Rovers will go out of fashion (the ones supposedly design for the road) and unless they change, they'll go out of business. This is likely to be hastened by the low build quality of their cars, plus the seemingly many design flaws the current crop of JLRs have.

New defender - Rusty - NowWheels

Xileno is right: real farmers gave up Land Rivers decades ago. They drive Japanese pickups like the Toyota Hilux, or real 4X4s like the SWB commercial version of the Toyota Land Cruiser.

The only farmers who have bought Land Rovers in recent years are very well-heeled types who can afford to live a Country Life magazine image, such as the owners of shooting estates in Scotland. Expensive tweed clothes, 2.4 labradogs, some dead stags ... and a carefully-muddied Land Rover Defender to complete the image

Users in developing nations also buy Japanese. Whether it's the UN with its Land Cruisers or the Taliban with its Hiluxes, people whose lives depend on their vehicles don't buy Land Rovers.

So the new pseudo-Defender is targeted at a different set of customers. LJR will still want to sell a few pseudo-Defenders to the huntin'-shootin'-fishin' brigade, but mostly as photo material for sales elsewhere. Expect the JLR dealers in Speyside and the Cairngorms to be incentivised to shift a steady flow of very-discreetly-subsidised stock to the "right" customers (i.e. those with thousands of photogenically-rugged acres). Maybe there will be a few similarly-selected deals in the Cotswolds and Exmoor.

So I assume that the real target for the pseudo-Defender isn't even the English suburbs, though sales there will be handy and will vastly exceed sales to the British countryside. This vehicle is primed for export, to anglophiles in North America, and above all to China.

I reckon that China is where JLR expects to find the sales volume. Audi/Merc/BMW is now commonplace out there, so JLR may have a niche with the "real 4X4" shtick (however they phrase it).

It remains to be seen how much love the Chinese can sustain for a vehicle which will probably require them to put the Land Rover service centre on speed dial. But Tata has deep enough pockets to take a punt ... and if the high-end export lark doesn't work out, they can close the expensive UK operations and repurpose the JLR brands for badge-engineering their Asian market vehicles, like Ford did with the once-proud Ghia name.

New defender - Rusty - edlithgow

The recent Japanese pickups I've seen look almost as ridiculously bloated as AMERICAN pickups, like its a bit effeminate to buy a truck that you can actually get into a standard parking space.

I dunno that I'd class them as utility vehicles exactly, though probably closer than a Landrover

There are or were smaller pickups based on the Toyota Zace and Mitsubishi Freeca here that I think would fit the description, but I dunno if they are on the world market

The recent Japanese pickups I've seen look almost as ridiculously bloated as AMERICAN pickups, like its a bit effeminate to buy a truck that you can actually get into a standard parking space.

Not really a surprise, given that their largest market is the US, Canada, Australia and other nations where they have more open spaces and wider roads.

New defender - Rusty - NowWheels

The 2004 seventh generation Hilux AN10 saw the wheelbase grow by ten inches, and its successors have retained that sizing.

It looks a bit bloated to European eyes, but to the Americans it merely meant a move up into the category which they call "mid-sized pickup".

I prefer the smaller 1997–2004 N140 Hilux, but most surviving examples are getting a bit tired now.

New defender - Rusty - Telco

The farmer nearest to me has one of the last old style Defenders made, go to the Lakes & Dales and you'll see lots, so to say that working farmers gave up on them is pure rhetoric.

A short trip into the Ribble valley at the weekend and I saw five new style Defenders (3 110s and 2 90s) so I hope that they are selling well and continue to do so.

I appreciate this doesn't fit the narrative.