What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - madf

Grant Shapps - Transport Minister - made the above statement recently

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9545797/Tra...l

If you ever wanted to know how useless a politician might be, a Minister who does not understand his own Government's legislation must be on top of the list.

(The legislation bans the SALE of non EV cars by 2030.)

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - alan1302

If you ever wanted to know how useless a politician might be, a Minister who does not understand his own Government's legislation must be on top of the list.

I'm sure he does know and it was just a bit of a slip up saying something...like everyone does now and again.

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - Cris_on_the_gas

Once upon a time the 3 levels of stupidity were explained to me these were:

Level 1: People who buy the Daily Mail

Level 2: People who read the Daily Mail

Level 3 : people who believe what is said in the Daily Mail

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - Engineer Andy

To be fair, one could say the same about a number of papers sitting on the other side of the political fence.

Unfortunately, reading newspapers or most 'news' reports' is today as much about reading between the lines to determine rubbish from truth as it is political slant.

To be fair to the Daily Wail, they often get the jump on most other papers on many stories and often go into a surprising amount of depth in some articles. Unfortunately, there is a lot of waffle and politics to take into account to get to the actual news reporting.

Plus you have to put up with the hiddeous pop-up ads and videos from other articles (despite using ad-blockers) - rather like US newspaper websites use.

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - _

Plus you have to put up with the hiddeous pop-up ads and videos from other articles (despite using ad-blockers) - rather like US newspaper websites use.

I use firefox and adblock plus, does the trick for me.stops 99% of them and just close the odd pop up.

I actually quite like reading some of the "news articles" (miss out the showbiz.and gossip.)

and the money experts problem page is always entertaining.

I use firefox and adblock plus, does the trick for me.stops 99% of them and just close the odd pop up.

I have used ABP previously - does the job generally, though heavier on system resources than the one I currently use, uBlock origin. The 'popups' aren't ads, but the Mail's own news clips for either that article (which popup and autostart as you pass the static image) or another they refer to further down. A bit annoying, but easily removed (unlike the dodgy ones).

I actually quite like reading some of the "news articles" (miss out the showbiz.and gossip.)

I find it amazing how much gossip pages they run. You wouldn't have thought there was that much gossip about or that people cared that much about it. It still takes me back to the legendary comment on Yes, Prime Minister about who reads what paper.

and the money experts problem page is always entertaining.

You have to wonder why newspaper 'experts' in financial issues call themeslves that, given a real expert wouldn't need or, for that matter, want to write for a newspaper, as keeping all your tips to yourself makes your far more money than telling all and sundry!

Sorry for going off topic a bit.

Whilst I agree with your general sentiments there was clip of Shapps sating just what the Mail reported.

So for once, they were accurate.

Whilst I agree with your general sentiments there was clip of Shapps sating just what the Mail reported.

So for once, they were accurate.

If only Shapps was... :-)

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - _

Grant Shapps - Transport Minister

Commonly known as "Hapless" and other vaiations on that worf.

Sadly, probity and intelligence are much missing qualities in this government.

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/05/2021 at 14:39

I suspect he just mis-spoke, meaning only new cars would be hybrids, then EVs only. Second-hand car sales of ICE will continue for a LONG time afterwards. Still a stupid idea though, at least as regards timescale, as I've commented on in other threads.

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - groaver

Most of the current WM cabinet couldn't find their own @rse with both hands.

Boris didn't appoint that lot to make him look thicker than he is.

Unfortunately, that bar is set particularly low.

Anyway, all electric by 2030? It's not going to happen.

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - Sofa Spud

Most of the current WM cabinet couldn't find their own @rse with both hands.

Boris didn't appoint that lot to make him look thicker than he is.

Unfortunately, that bar is set particularly low.

Anyway, all electric by 2030? It's not going to happen.

Will any major motor manufacturers still be producing petrol or diesel cars by then?

Would there be any consumer demand for them anyway?

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - Terry W

New car sales this year to date are 11% diesel, 49% petrol, 40% assorted EV and hybrids.

Similar figures for last year are 19% diesel, 60% petrol, 21% assorted EV and hybrid.

Covid and lockdowns may have distorted total car sales, but the massive change in mix is a real indication of which way the market is going.

To hazard a guess - sales of conventionally powered cars will fall around 10% each year for the next 5 years. By 2029 there will be 10-20% of new car buyers who would like to carry on buying petrol/diesel and will be disappointed.

I would also guess there will be very few (if any) major car manufacturers planning the launch of a substantially new conventionally powered vehicle after 2024 - they simply won't get their investment back in subsequent sales.

With the EU collecting real world data on cars from 2021, expect to see a blitz on vehicles missing their official WLTP targets by a lot.

tinyurl.com/yf8fjpz8

The results will increase trends away from petrol/diesel.

(And anyone who thinks UK cars will not meet EU standards is living in lala land)

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - groaver

I meant in response to the original point that everyone will be driving an electric vehicle by then.

It'll take a sea change for everyone to embrace them.

Everyone will have to drive an EV by 2030 - davecooper

Until there is an EV at the cost I want, with the size I want, with the range I want, with the perfomance I want and with the spec I want, it won't be happening for me.