What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - navigation destinations - Kim Meakings

One of my biggest bugbears when changing my car is that I lose all the navigation destination details as I cannot transfer them over.

I normally have about 20 'Favourite' locations that I lose and have to reenter and some times I lose track of the post code as it has been so long since I last used it.

Surely it would be simple enough to have an industry wide format so that all GPS systems can export / import the 'Name', 'Lat', 'Long', 'Post Code' details irrespective of the old / new model of car. That way it would not matter how an individual system actually uses the location data - they would just convert them to a usable internal format.

Every car now has USB / Bluetooth access, so you could store it on your Smartphone (or whatever) and transfer it when you were ready

All - navigation destinations - mcb100
Use CarPlay or Android Auto (if fitted) instead of the car’s inbuilt nav. You get a choice of mapping, more up to date traffic rerouting and your favourites are on your phone and not in the car.
All - navigation destinations - Will deBeast

Another vote for Android Auto/apple car play.

I can look up (say) a national trust property in google maps on my PC. And when I go out to the car, it's there ready on my phone.

And the podcast or audiobook I was listening to when walking the dog can continue from where I left off.

I don't ever use the inbuilt satnav - just the screen.

All - navigation destinations - movilogo

I stopped using built-in car sat nav as they are inaccurate, goes out of date very soon, costs to upgrade and lack features which are available in phone sat navs.

I now prefer cars without built in sat navs. Unfortunately my car does not have Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

I normally have about 20 'Favourite' locations that I lose and have to reenter and some times I lose track of the post code as it has been so long since I last used it.

I keep that list in my phone. When I change phone it will be available in new phone via cloud sync.

Edited by movilogo on 28/04/2021 at 07:43

All - navigation destinations - Andrew-T

<< I now prefer cars without built in sat navs. >>

I have yet to own a car with satnav. And (should I choose) my road atlas can leave the car with me - tho it does go out of date rather quickly too ... :-)

The answer to your particular scenario would be to photograph the details from the outgoing car and copy into the new one.

All - navigation destinations - John F

Perhaps a car with a built in sat nav will soon appear to be as out of date as a car with a built in CD player, although I suppose they will be cheap enough to incorporate into an EV's television screen. On the rare occasions the one in my fifteen year old Audi is in use, it is amusing to observe its confusion when using new roads.

Same with my old Jaguar - the last mapping disc(!) was 2011, so it does find itself driving across fields on the occasions that I use it for old time's sake.

All - navigation destinations - Andrew-T

Same with my old Jaguar - the last mapping disc(!) was 2011, so it does find itself driving across fields on the occasions that I use it for old time's sake.

It's even more amusing if you cross the Mersey on the (still fairly new) bridge at Runcorn.

By the way, the old (1962) bridge has reopened to vehicles, but of course it is tolled so it offers no saving over the new one - which is far more convenient for anyone except denizens of Halton (Runcorn & Widnes)

All - navigation destinations - Heidfirst

One of my biggest bugbears when changing my car is that I lose all the navigation destination details as I cannot transfer them over.

Can't speak with other brands but if you have a Toyota & stick with Toyota you can. The systems are from Harman (exception is the Aygo which uses Pioneer as the infomation system for the 108/C1/Aygo was PSA-led) & the mapping from Here. I switched from an Avensis with Touch & Go to one with Touch2 with Go & it imported nav & contact details from the older car no problem.