What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - _

Just did 275 miles with a 2 minute stop, then a 20 minute stop and then a 5 minute stop before arriving at destination.

Went ok, traffic not bad, but realised that my stamina for longer journeys has evaporated.

Was very glad to arrive safely.

felt ok, but tired..

Bruges, (If and when we are allowed to go again will probably be my furthest driving venture in future.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - badbusdriver

Just did 275 miles with a 2 minute stop, then a 20 minute stop and then a 5 minute stop before arriving at destination.

Went ok, traffic not bad, but realised that my stamina for longer journeys has evaporated.

Was very glad to arrive safely.

felt ok, but tired..

Bruges, (If and when we are allowed to go again will probably be my furthest driving venture in future.

I take it the 1st and 3rd stops were just to answer the call of nature? ;-)

275 miles is a fair old hike though ORB, so I don't think you need feel to bad for arriving tired.

One of my favourite films is 'In Bruges' (a very black comedy), and is pretty much my only reference to what Bruge looks like!. But from that, I would like to visit the place at some point.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - catsdad

This weekend was my first long journey too, about 200 miles to Leeds. It was a bit tiring but what we noticed was the poor driving standards on motorways. In particular it seems that on the four lane motorway section lane 3 has become the new centre lane for the nervous or the mimsers. We were doing a true 65-70 where we could. On numerous occasions we had to move from lane 1 to lane 4 to overtake drivers doing 60.

Only a minority were the usual grey haired suspects ( I say this as a fully paid up member of the.silver brigade). Many were young to middle aged.

It got me thinking about the ads we used to get about safe/considerate driving. Now that these are long gone how do drivers get their guidance about driving. Do many people simply not know how to drive anymore?

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - Bolt

Do many people simply not know how to drive anymore?

I get the impression a lot really do not care what they do, I have noticed this last year that drivers have got terrible at driving, and if they cut someone up there is no apology as they used to, and carry on as if you weren't there

although the roads have been much clearer, more are not looking where they are going, and had lots of near misses due to speeders who cross roundabouts at well over speed limit, some pulling out of drives without looking and do not even notice your there.

so yes Imo some don`t want to know how to drive, they just aim and drive, its much worse now than it was a while ago!

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - 72 dudes

@catsdad

This wasn't by any chance the 4 lane section of the A1M between Huntingdon and Peterborough was it?

Notorious for third lane hoggers.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - catsdad

72 dudes, no we were on M1 and M42.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - galileo

I'd say many seem to have forgottten anything they were taught as a learner, anything they ever read in the Highway Code, most of the Theory Test and much of their instinct for self preservation.

Young women (especially those with an MPV full of children) seem to be the worst, distracted perhaps. Also, every day I pass a park on a fairly narrow, winding road and see mothers extracting infants from the offside instead of the pavement side. I cannot believe it is impossible to use the safer method as we did with our children.

The next worst seem to be young men in Golf GTIs, sporty Seats, Audis etc.

The most irritating are the nervous (or half blind) who persist in driving 10 mph slower than the limit on narrow roads with double white lines, thereby delaying everyone for no good reason.

Edited by galileo on 18/04/2021 at 19:22

There was someone in the right hand lane of a 2 lane A road at 10 mph below the speed limit and the only way anyone could get past was to "undertake"

So we did too! (carefully)

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - Smileyman

The most irritating are the nervous (or half blind) who persist in driving 10 mph slower than the limit on narrow roads with double white lines, thereby delaying everyone for no good reason.

These are the people who annoy others to the point that instances of dangerous / illegal overtaking occur ..then tutt tutt when being overtaken. Ideal candidates for annual driver testing.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - sammy1

There are plenty of roads with bends and double white lines where it is positively dangerous to do the stated maximum, There is nothing worse than being intimidated by impatient drivers It is not the drivers fault that such roads are just not suitable for speed merchants

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - galileo

There are plenty of roads with bends and double white lines where it is positively dangerous to do the stated maximum, There is nothing worse than being intimidated by impatient drivers It is not the drivers fault that such roads are just not suitable for speed merchants

It would be interesting to have a poll to find the relative percentages of drivers who think that

a) most speed limits are lower than necessary

b) most speed limits are higher than is safe

Bear in mind that most 30 limits were set when the road holding and stopping distances of most cars (as in the Highway Code) were derived from a 1960s Ford Anglia with drum brakes and skinny cross ply tyres. 40 mph limits date, I think from 1958, so similarly based.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - Engineer Andy

It would be interesting to have a poll to find the relative percentages of drivers who think that

a) most speed limits are lower than necessary

b) most speed limits are higher than is safe

Bear in mind that most 30 limits were set when the road holding and stopping distances of most cars (as in the Highway Code) were derived from a 1960s Ford Anglia with drum brakes and skinny cross ply tyres. 40 mph limits date, I think from 1958, so similarly based.

My experience living in urban, semi-rural and rural areas is that many speed limits in town are there to reduce the overspee, e.g. changing from a 40 to a 30 limit in an area to reduce the number of divers going at 45-50 and they do 35-40 instead.

As we as a forum have discussed before, many urban 20mph limits are good but only when they are needed, i.e. when children are walking about to/from school, etc, but using LED matrix signs that vary the limit is likely expensive.

What I DO find ridiculous are the limits in rural areas - some quite narrow (including with high hedges at the roadside) country roads have 'national speed limit' of 60 when even the most experienced/talented driver would feel they could not drive safely at that speed, whereas other roads have 30/40 limits despite being wider with better visibility. I suspect many haven't been looked at for change in decades.

I think that variable motorway/certain dual carraigeway speeds with higher limits (say 80) at times when the roads aren't busy and in good visibility (more difficult to prove though). Maybe new tech will help.

I think that better regulation (i.e. motorways with set 40 limits on empty roads because the controller hasn't seen the change in traffic/accident cleared) would help considerably.

As regards people first venturing out after lockdown, I was stuck behind an elderly couple going at 30 on a slip road the other day - not the end of the world, but they were being VERY cautious, dropping to 20 or less when off the dual carriageway when back (clear) on local roads with a 30 limit. Hopefully some people's rustiness will fade as they get back into the swing of things again.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - Will deBeast

Well done - the most important thing is being self-aware. Concentrating is tiring.

I hugely gained from a couple of days of observed motorbike riding, a few years after passing my test.

I think every driver would benefit from a 1-2 hour observed driver assessment, and a highway code refresh every few years. I'm not talking a test - just pointing out bad habits, making people aware of new rules, new signs etc.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - nellyjak

You did well, ORB....my long distance stamina has reduced as I've aged..and I find it necessary to concentrate more. (I'm now 74)

I look back at the 30-50,000 p.a. miles I used to drive with my sales and marketing job many years ago and think how the xxxx did I do that.

Recently I did a 150 mile run....that was enough.!..I felt the tiredness afterwards.

Fortunately my wife can take over if I feel I need a driving break.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - paul 1963

ORB , I see your 275 miles and raise you, back in January I drove from Warminster in Wiltshire to Buckie in the north east of Scotland (590 miles), Son was moving and I volunteered to drive the hire van. Left Warminster at 4am and arrived in Buckie at 4:10pm with one stop in Cumbria for fuel,coffee and a wee! I could have done it in 10 hours but Scotland was snowbound and a fully loaded long wheelbase transit can't be hustled!

I feel as if I have jetlag after a transatlantic overnight flight this morning.

Quiet day today.!!

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - RGCRob

Tiredness is a given, but I think that distance driving is something that improves with practice - and vice versa.

If you build up at a sensible rate I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy longer trips soon. Me, I'd have taken a longer break in that 275-mile journey anyway, but I do get hungry!

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - nick62

In the last four weeks I have made the following trips in various hire cars all on motorways:

Milan to Florence twice (and back once)

Florence to Rome

Frankfurt to Stuttgart (and back)

The outward leg of the German trip was in dreadful weather (sleet mainly), but otherwise uneventful.

The Italians never cease to amaze in how close they can sit on your bumper without actually making contact. In one case a big Merc SUV came past at what must have been more than 160kph only to turn-off at the next junction much less than 1km away!

After getting home from each trip of five or six days, (it now takes two days travelling in total there and back as opposed to one pre-lockdown due to using available airports miles from where I need to be), I'm wiped-out for a day.

Edit: The Germans have now introduced a €0.70 charge for going to the loo in all the Autobahn service areas, (seems to be motivated by Covid, but I'm not sure). With no change and only a €50 note in my wallet, I was very "relieved" to reach my hotel in Stuttgart!

Edited by nick62 on 19/04/2021 at 16:34

Edit: The Germans have now introduced a €0.70 charge for going to the loo in all the Autobahn service areas, (seems to be motivated by Covid, but I'm not sure). With no change and only a €50 note in my wallet, I was very "relieved" to reach my hotel in Stuttgart!

For 50 years now, when travelling in Belgium, I have always kept a handfull of change to pay for comfort breaks. (and many othet places too.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - sammy1

I think that the speed limits in the UK are generally OK However the introduction of more and more 20 limits and the accompanying street furniture is not so good. The curtailing of so called rat runs is good.

On the subject of long distance drives I think it is important to stop regularly and stretch your legs. 100 miles on the motorway is a lot different than 100miles on cross country slower roads which can take more than twice as long. There is also your general health to consider sat in the same position for hours is not good for the circulation

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - skidpan

Worst display of "oldie" driving was in Scotland a few years ago. After a comfort break we had to take to long route back to the A9 since the junction we came off at was closed to traffic entering the A9 because of roadworks.

When we got the the A9 a Jazz sat at the junction. We waited, and waited, and waited a bit longer and it was obvious very little traffic was actually going by the junction. Gave a short blast on the horn, no reaction so we carefully pulled along side. 2 old dears sat there looking a bit flummoxed, possibly never had to use that junction before. By now there was a queue behind us but we pulled onto the A9 easily enough, very little traffic as did the cars following us. Never saw the Jazz move.

The following week on our return journey we joked about the Jazz still being at the junction but it had moved.

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - Engineer Andy

For 50 years now, when travelling in Belgium, I have always kept a handfull of change to pay for comfort breaks. (and many othet places too.

Eu0.70? That's literally taking the pee.

You could always bring a plastic water bottle - drink it when new, refill it if you don't have change for the loo! Don't forget to throw it away afterwards and not reuse the bottle. :-)

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - concrete

I have been up and down to North Yorkshire every few weeks since December. My elder brother has cancer and has been receiving treatment, so we formed a bubble to enable some family to visit. 600 mile+ round trip. The bonus has been the quiet roads. Even the M25 and Dartford Crossing have been trouble free. Gotten used to the journey now and simply use cruise control a bit and generally drift along at about 60-65mph taking my time. Benefits are I arrive stress free and achieve excellent mpg from my car. Used to driving a lot when working and coped very well, although did sleep well on journey nights. Needs must etc etc.....

We are about 45 minutes from the Channel Tunnel and we used to get offers for non peak journeys. We occasionally go to Bruges or Lille for the day. Miss that little adventure but hopefully soon..........

Cheers Concrete

Just done my first Long drive since lockdown - Thoughts - John F

Eu0.70? That's literally taking the pee.

You could always bring a plastic water bottle - drink it when new, refill it if you don't have change for the loo! Don't forget to throw it away afterwards and not reuse the bottle. :-)

Choose your bottle carefully. For some time I've carried an emergency plastic bottle which used to contain 1.16 litres of washing liquid, aptly named 'Comfort'. It has, ahem, a wide aperture. And it's perfectly OK to re-use; healthy urine is sterile.