What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Breakdown Cover (again!) - johnnyrev

I was going to renew my policy with Autoaid this morning. I’ve had their cover for a few years as it covers me in both cars (Logan and MX5) for a reasonable amount. I’ve only had to call them out once after I replaced the battery in the Mazda and couldn’t get it going (turned out to be my fault but that’s another story).

I was quite happy to renew when on the payment page I noticed a cross next to the ‘cover for cars over 15 years old’. I clicked on this and it added cover for cars over 15 years old (the MX5 is 21) and suddenly the annual price changed from £59 to £75.

Is this a new thing with Autoaid? I think I might be shopping around.....

Breakdown Cover (again!) - nellyjak

I thought AutoAid was personal cover and not car specific.?...ie YOU are covered in any car.?

Breakdown Cover (again!) - daveyjp

Autoaid was taken over a couple of years ago.

They have changed from offering a straightforwards basic insurance policy which paid for recovery/basic repair etc for any driver and spouse in any vehicle, to one offering a range of options more akin to other providers.

Needless to say prices have increased as a result!

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Deryck

I have Autoaid for a number of years now and the price with the recent take over is quite reasonable. However, I thought I would shop around and was surpised to see prices as low as £18~£25. Admittedly there is an excess to pay with these but seems good for basic cover.

My question would relate to how good they ar when needed? Autoaid was used once when I had a water pump failure and were very good

Breakdown Cover (again!) - skidpan

I was quite happy to renew when on the payment page I noticed a cross next to the ‘cover for cars over 15 years old’. I clicked on this and it added cover for cars over 15 years old (the MX5 is 21) and suddenly the annual price changed from £59 to £75.

We have Aviva rescue, think they call it the combined policy. It covers the named car for whoever drives it and covers named drivers (me and the Mrs) in whatever we drive or are passenger in.

My 28 year old Caterham is covered under that with no age limit.

Cost us about £50 3 weeks ago with the Superb as the named car.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Steveieb
Looked at the latest Which survey of recovery companies and Autoaid have slipped a few places and Start have overtaken them to become a recommended company.
So I switched from Autoaid to Start. Download the app to get the useful discount and I like their attitude to recovering cars with pets following an incident with Brittana when I got stranded at Nottingham airport. The car was taken but I refused to allow my daughters dog to travel on her own in the car being towed.
RAC came out really badly in last nights Watch*og with waits of up to nine hours .

I’ve been studying various quotes for personal cover this afternoon and the very cheap ones seem to have lots of exclusions and an excess per call out, and most wouldn’t cover cars over a certain age (usually around 20 years).

The cheapest quote I found was £33 but that was very limited. I’ve ended up with Rescue My Car for £49, which had no limits on the age of the cars you drive, or an excess.

Oh the exciting things I do on my day off!

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Xileno

Note that some cheap policies do not include recovery following an accident. They are just as they say on the tin - breakdown recovery, not accident recovery.

Don't make your brain ache Jonny. Which have done all the research for you and collated real life experiences from members .
Recommended suppliers are

AA
Brittania Rescue
Start.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - daveyjp

If you are fully comp its generally not an issue after an accident as your rescue company will still come out and recharge the insurance company.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Deryck

I will have to look into Start - I got a price that is cheaper by limiting to my own car as I seldom drive other cars and rarely a passenger.

The main concern that I have always had is that we often have the dog in the car which is not too much of a problem when local but more of a problem when we go on holiday. So, that is a useful bit of information.

I could be switching cover this week as mine is due for renewal in two weeks

Breakdown Cover (again!) - _

I have 2 years free RAC cover with the sportage, but when that ends in 10 months, I'll go back to Start.

Google discount codes for the one you choose, and also via things like moneysaving expert and comparison sites. last time i renewed I got an extra 15% off that way.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - movilogo

I recently renewed with Eversure as their price was cheaper than AutoAid's.

Eversure offers car specific recovery. Since I have only 1 car in family it suits me compared to AutoAid's driver specific policy.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Galaxy

Eversure looks good but they won't take a car that's over 14 years old, unfortunately.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Big John

I have used Autoaid before as it covered both myself and my wife. We moved away when we needed to drive in Europe in an older car as it was the only vehicle we could insure including my young son when we went on holiday in France. Since then we have used Nationwide Flex plus - £13/month, this covers:-

• European wide car breakdown for myself and my wife in any car or anyone driving either of our cars.
  • Good travel insurance - including pre existing condition of cancer in the past.
  • Mobile phone insurance - used numerous times!
  • Free foreign transactions / foreign cash withdrawals - usually saves me a lot.

I know we can't travel in Europe at the mo - but it'll be back (Pleeeeeaaaase)

I used the Nationwide Flex insurance for many years until they started ramping up additional charges for pre existing medical conditions. In my case about £450.

But the cover is world wide and cannot be limited to European only.

But my neighbour who is 85 found that for a one week trip to Barbados it was cheaper to buy the Flex plus policy than to buy travel insurance elsewhere.

Also not too impressed with Nationwide’s underwriter which is worth checking out in reviews.

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Big John

I've never claimed on the travel insurance part thus far - but had the opposite experience when declaring pre-existing conditions. Many companies clearly didn't want to know when the big C was mentioned but Nationwide only wanted to know about the last year. Going forward we'll see.

When younger and still at home my son tested the phone insurance part - twice. Worked well.

He later tested the car breakdown after leaving the lights on when borrowing our old Octavia Christmas Eve a few years ago - they had him on his way within 30 minutes

A friend rather tested his Flexplus European breakdown in France a couple of years ago when his alternator failed on his TD5 defender - again all good.

Edited by Big John on 16/04/2021 at 21:52

Breakdown Cover (again!) - Trilogy.

Green Flag for the van. Start for the Saab while the Merc's classic car insurance includes it. Green Flag use Manchett's locally who've always been top notch.

I emailed Autoaid to say that I wasn't renewing, and in their reply said that as a renewing customer I shouldn't have been charged the extra £15 for cars over 15 years. To late now though.

When I tried to contact Autoaid it reminded me of the Carlsberg Complaints Office. Eventually got through but I wondered how I had felt if it was the same office for breakdowns .
Breakdown Cover (again!) - KB.

I think I might have said in a different breakdown thread that when I rang Autoaid for some admin query or other I came away feeling decidedly underwhelmed with their customer service, however I've stuck with them despite the new £15 charge for breakdowns involving cars over the age of 10. The other company that was mentioned (Eversure) didn't do it for me so it's the Devil you know rather than .......

EDIT, just remembered it's not £15, it's £25.

Edited by KB. on 01/06/2023 at 23:41

Breakdown Cover (again!) - gordonbennet
Yes that £25 charge goes against the grain, some of us have better maintained older cars that are more reliable/durable than many newer cars.
If you have one breakdown and have to pay the £25 surcharge you are still in pocket compared to the alternatives, they stopped cover entirely for older cars in recent previous years, but (confirmed via email) that cover continued for existing customers older cars at each renewal.

I much preferred back when Autoaid was a pay and claim service, this system ensured the usual suspects didn't take the p and would mitigate likely costs just in case their claim would be rejected, i wrote to them at the time of the changes pointing out what would result, never got a reply of course, since then premiums have increased rapidly.

I've renewed with them this year, but this will probably be the last time, may not bother with breakdown cover again, looking back at my driving life in my own vehicles i've been recovered once from a write off accident and once following a breakdown thanks to a well known Mercedes weakness, when i can't change a wheel (won't have a car without spare) at the side of the road it will be time to stop driving anyway.
Breakdown Cover (again!) - De Sisti

I've gone with Britannia Rescue (as part of my car insurance policy). It covers me for European travel. I would have taken out insurance with NFU Mutual, but they wouldn't cover my (well maintained and reliable) 20 year old BMW 320d Touring for overseas excursions.