Ford C-MAX - DPF replaced, rotten egg smell and amber light - ~x~EM~x~

Hi,

I bought a 2008 C Max 3 weeks ago. Mileage 126,000. The guy said he hadn't used it much during lockdown. When I put fuel in it, it took a while for the fuel gauge to move. OH plugged it in before the drive home and it said fuel pressure sensor code, but the gauge gradually came up as we were discussing the car. I noticed exhaust fumes filling the cabin on the 2 hour drive home. Tried to get DPF to regen manually and then took to a garage to force it. Neither worked. Then Engine Management light came on. Codes said DPF was at fault.

On Saturday I fitted a brand new DPF and took it for a short run to enable the car to register its replacement. All codes were cleared. Haven't used the car until this evening. Took it for a spin out on the bypass (I live less than 1/4 mile from it). By the time I got to the next slip road, temp was up where it usually is, had a brief smell of rotten eggs then Amber engine light came on. No rough engine, spluttering or anything obvious.

Before replacing the DPF I filled the additive tank with 1 litre of additive as I thought it may never have been topped up (supposed to be every 70,000 miles) so thought that's why it wasn't regenning.

After replacing, I made the mistake of pressure washing the engine gently (far away) as I was washing the car and it was full of leaves and cobwebs. I have read on a thread on this site that someone else pressure washed the engine bay and had similar smell and warning light but as engine dried out it sorted itself out.

I have a few questions. Would a new DPF make that smell and trigger the Amber light until its had a long run in order to start working properly? Could it be because I got the engine wet? Would the Lambda sensor cause that smell or could it still be the fuel sensor playing up? I'm going to plug the car in over the weekend to get codes but wondered if this is normal when a DPF is replaced.

Ford C-MAX - DPF replaced, rotten egg smell and amber light - RT

Which DPF additive did you use - Adblue or Eolys ?

Ford C-MAX - DPF replaced, rotten egg smell and amber light - elekie&a/c doctor

I guess as this is a 2008 model it will have the psa dv6 1.6 tdci engine fitted with an eolys tank at the back.(too early for any adblue system). The tank holds around 2.5 litres. Driving the car will not reset anything . the engine management system will need to be reset via the diagnostic system. Can't see how washing the engine will affect anything.

Ford C-MAX - DPF replaced, rotten egg smell and amber light - Gibbo_Wirral

Isn't an eggy smell a sign of a failed or leaking cat? Has something been disturbed when working on the DPF?

The thing that's flagging up on engine code is P0428 Catalyst Temperature Sensor High Input (Bank 1). When I watched a video about how to replace the DPF the sensor had a stick on the end but when I removed it, it didn't have a stick on the end. So now I'm confused and I can't find it which is the correct sensor. Some come up with sticks, some don't .Does anyone know how I can look up what the correct part is? Anywhere I can just put my reg in and find out what part it is?

I put a litre of Patfluid in it which is the Eolys stuff.

OK so now I've replaced the exhaust temperature sensor and the code is gone, along with the engine management light, but another code has flagged up!

P2459 - something about regen not OK or something? This code cannot be removed, but no management light on.

No engine management light came on after a 40 mile round trip. Is this code showing beau's the car has a new DPF and new sensor and probably hasn't regenerated yet? In worried about driving with that code. Like I said, no management light so it can't be that bad right? In going to to up the fluid as I don't think that a litre was enough last time and I've read that if there isn't enough fluid, that code can come up.

Do you think more fluid and a long drive so it can regen will make that code disappear?