What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
TV information ad - barney100

Seems like the powers that be have got the message removing the hard shoulders on motorways was not a good idea. A bloke is breaking down, two insects on his windscreen sing to him to go left. Lo and behold he conveniently finds a yellow pull in area. Break down on a smart motorway and you don't make a pull in you are in serious trouble.

TV information ad - Lee Power

Noticed the Go Left campaign advert on Absolute radio today.

TV information ad - nick62

Much like other government agendas, they'll probably spend 10x the amount "saved" in mitigating this disaster of a policy, (Br*x*t anyone)?

Edited by nick62 on 12/03/2021 at 18:42

TV information ad - Terry W

Someone quite senior in the Department of Transport would have signed off the business case for smart motorways. Quite possibly the inister as well.

It can't have escaped their notice (unless they were truly stupid) that this was dangerous.

I can only conclude the decision to adopt SM was based on the cost savings - much easier to paint some new white llines, erect some electronic signs than buy more land, widen bridges..

Like it or not, lives have an economic cost - the savings justified the possible loss of life. I suspect that the risk to life was understated - easy to do as it was only an estimate!!

TV information ad - Gibbo_Wirral

"Drivers often think the hard shoulder is a safe place to stop, but over 100 people are killed or injured on the hard shoulder every year"

I'm shocked at how many people I see sat in their broken down cars on the hard shoulder.

TV information ad - Bromptonaut

Well hurrah. Only ten years late.

As the Highway Code is being amended then perhaps Smart Motorway will be covered in there.

TV information ad - Bromptonaut

I can only conclude the decision to adopt SM was based on the cost savings - much easier to paint some new white llines, erect some electronic signs than buy more land, widen bridges..

Once you start expanding the road then planning becomes an issue. Would have held the thing up for years.

And that's before Swampy and his mates start digging holes.

TV information ad - Andrew-T

<, Once you start expanding the road then planning becomes an issue. Would have held the thing up for years. And that's before Swampy and his mates start digging holes. >>

And with the drop in traffic during Covid, perhaps the M-ways didn't need the extra lanes anyway ?

If the suggestion to convert the shoulders into running lanes had been resisted on safety grounds, there would probably have been an outcry in the opposite direction. Can't easily win in politics as everyone else knows better.