What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - It Snowed - RaineMan

We all know that common sense disappeared for many years ago and most seem to have the attention span of a goldfish.

However I was totally staggered this morning. Hertfordshire has its first dusting of snow in a while. Then on local radio we get reports of numerous minor accidents and the M1 southbound closed around J6/5. Whats so hard about driving to suit the conditions?

N/A - It Snowed - Andrew-T

We all know that common sense disappeared for many years ago and most seem to have the attention span of a goldfish. However I was totally staggered this morning. Hertfordshire has its first dusting of snow in a while. Then on local radio we get reports of numerous minor accidents and the M1 southbound closed around J6/5. Whats so hard about driving to suit the conditions?

Even if you live in a climate where it always snows in winter, drivers take a few days to remember how to drive. I spent several years in western Canada. Snow came about the start of November and stayed until a chinook wind arrived some time about Easter. The first week was always interesting.

N/A - It Snowed - daveyjp

I cleared 6 inches of snow off my car yesterday.

We have lived with two days of drivers in various vehicles believing foot to the floor is how you get up an icy 1:20 hill. That included an A3 quattro driver who had no understanding that tread on tyres is more important than the number of wheels driven.

Edited by daveyjp on 16/01/2021 at 10:24

N/A - It Snowed - galileo

I cleared 6 inches of snow off my car yesterday.

We have lived with two days of drivers in various vehicles believing foot to the floor is how you get up an icy 1:20 hill. That included an A3 quattro driver who had no understanding that tread on tyres is more important than the number of wheels driven.

Yesterday, just as the last time we had snow, thanks to all-season tyres I drove steadily up un-gritted hilly streets passing stuck 4 x 4s with their usual impressively wide (and expensive) summer tyres.

I do remember 1960s winters with much more snow, my rear-drive cars on cross plies and the benefits of having had skidpan training.