S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - Steveieb
News that the American National Safety Organisation have issued a recall for 158,000 Tesla vehicles because the touchscreen flash memory is filling up prematurely redulting in "Bricked Screen" or in plain language "It doesn't b***** work"
Most car screens will cease to work in2022.
S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - daveyjp

As predicted they have built in obsolescence, unfortunately its quite dangerous to allow a memory to fill up and affect the functionality of the vehicle whislt driving it.

There are companies in the US who knew about this years ago and developed their own fix by swapping the memory chips for something which doesn't fill up.

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - Theophilus

Sounds rather like my brain!

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - alan1302

As predicted they have built in obsolescence,

No, they don't they have faulty memory

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - Bolt

Its not faulty memory, they are designed without thought of the cells wearing out, newer chips are made with more layers of memory and a controller that knows when a cell is damaged and moves the data to known good cells

exactly the same problem occurred on pc chips that are replacing mechanical hard drives

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - Engineer Andy

Its not faulty memory, they are designed without thought of the cells wearing out, newer chips are made with more layers of memory and a controller that knows when a cell is damaged and moves the data to known good cells

exactly the same problem occurred on pc chips that are replacing mechanical hard drives

I remember hearing about that 'inherrant issue' with some kinds of SSDs - unlike a mechanical HDD, which tends to chuck other wobblies or stick to make odd sounds (before the click-click-click of death), some of SSDs just 'die' suddenly with no warning.

With things that are safety critical, you'd have thought they would've been designed with separate backups that simultaneously save the data rather like a RAID 1 array on a PC.

I remember hearing about that 'inherrant issue' with some kinds of SSDs - unlike a mechanical HDD, which tends to chuck other wobblies or stick to make odd sounds (before the click-click-click of death), some of SSDs just 'die' suddenly with no warning.

With things that are safety critical, you'd have thought they would've been designed with separate backups that simultaneously save the data rather like a RAID 1 array on a PC.

It was all SSDs at the time, one company released an SSD that did as I explained to correct it, doubtful a mechanical hard drive could take the movement of the car as an ssd can, which is what it is, like a bigger version of an SD card only lots in a case on top of each other

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - blindspot

wasnt apple in the limelite recently , for messing with the software to degrade the phone batteries. could tesla do likewise

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - blindspot

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 15/01/2021 at 23:07

wasnt apple in the limelite recently , for messing with the software to degrade the phone batteries. could tesla do likewise

some call it building in obsolescence, though Apple allegedly is doing it in a big way, but don`t see why Tesla would do it if it gives them a bad name.

and they have a new battery which is meant to last a million miles apparently (on you tube) but no details of how its built apart from bigger cells, less needed, and can store more power.

though a lot of companies are going over to solid state batteries, which I gather Elon Musk is not in favour of?

S and X 2012 -2018 - Tesla recall - Avant

"Most car screens will cease to work in 2022"

Sounds like some sort of apocalypse Steve! Have you any more information?

In the light of the points made above, it seeme even more important to limit these touchscreens to infotainment only. If the screen goes blank on a Tesla, for example, it becomes illegal to drive it (no speedo).

"Most car screens will cease to work in 2022"

Sounds like some sort of apocalypse Steve! Have you any more information?

In the light of the points made above, it seeme even more important to limit these touchscreens to infotainment only. If the screen goes blank on a Tesla, for example, it becomes illegal to drive it (no speedo).

All they need to do is increase the hard drive size to accept larger amounts of data, I read they have 8gb storage, I have 256gb in my camera which for that company would be very cheap, though for the years the car will be used should go to terabyte's, its still cheap for them