What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - movilogo

If I simply want to drive around, just for the love of driving (and to avoid some boredom sitting idle at home) and not without visiting any other person, does the law prevent that?

Up to what distance I can drive without any reason (other than simply to enjoy driving pleasure)?

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - _

If I simply want to drive around, just for the love of driving (and to avoid some boredom sitting idle at home) and not without visiting any other person, does the law prevent that?

Up to what distance I can drive without any reason (other than simply to enjoy driving pleasure)?

As one of those who has had the unfortunate brush with the "BUG",

I would suggest that everyone avoids going out unless absolutely essential. Food shopping.. solo. walking the dog..solo excercise, and please wear a mask.

I had the bug from my wife who is a Doctor who got it from a patient who had been in contact with someone who had it. No need to go into the gory details, but I BEG everyone to think IF they really need to be in proximity to others for a while.

As has been said elsewhere Ifyou don't like the mask, You are going to hate the ventilator!

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - mcb100
I’m not sure where just going for a drive fits into the following -

‘You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
attend education or childcare - for those eligible
If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work. Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.’

What if you are, however unlikely as it seems, involved in an accident, or the car breaks down? The virus doesn’t move around, we move it around.
The most effective barrier to this virus is your own front door, please stay behind it unless for a reason above.
Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Middleman

The short answer is that you cannot just go out for a drive. However, assuming you are in England, there are a number of "reasonable excuses" you can use in order to go out. The most reliable way to read these is directly from the legislation. You can read the list of reasons why you can go out in Section 2, Page 4 of this document:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers and Obligations of Undertakings) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 (legislation.gov.uk)

You need to beware of official "guidance." The government has been shown to conflate the guidance with the law and individual police officers, whether off their own bat or under instructions, have been exceeding their powers by acting on the guidance and not the law. The most high profile of these was in Derbyshire last week when officers slapped Fixed Penalties on two ladies who had driven separately for five miles to meet for a walk:

COVID-19: Police cancel fines for women who met for walk with coffees five miles from home | UK News | Sky News

Despite being advised by the National Police Chiefs' Council that the officers' actions were unlawful, their Chief Constable, Rachel Swan said " I support the fact that the officers were trying to encourage people to stay local to prevent the spread of the virus." What she neglected to comment on, of course, was that the "encouragement" was made under the threat of criminal sanction. Later, Matt Hancock applauded the officers' action. So we have a government Minister praising unlawful action by police officers. I'm sure it was purely coincidental that during the time the Derbyshire police were considering their actions, the Prime Minister was seen cycling round the Olympic Park, some seven miles from Downing Street. It was not disclosed whether he had ridden there on his bike or had driven there and taken his bike from the boot.

To reinforce my warning, here's couple of examples of this (what I believe to be deliberate) conflation:

"Shop for basic necessities.. "

You are not restricted to shopping for "basic necessities" (whatever they might be). You are restricted to shopping from the shops that are allowed to remain open but you can buy whatever they sell.

"exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area."

Exercise is not limited to once a day (it is not time limited at all) nor is it restricted to your "local area" (again, whatever that might mean). [See above]. More than that, the definition provided in the guidance is ridiculous:

"Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."

I know many villages that don't even have a shop.

I'm sure you can find a "reasonable excuse" to go out whilst remaining within the law (even if not the guidance).

Edited by Middleman on 13/01/2021 at 21:19

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Engineer Andy
I’m not sure where just going for a drive fits into the following - ‘You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to: shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area. meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse) attend education or childcare - for those eligible If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work. Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.’ What if you are, however unlikely as it seems, involved in an accident, or the car breaks down? The virus doesn’t move around, we move it around. The most effective barrier to this virus is your own front door, please stay behind it unless for a reason above.

My parents are in my support bubble, and occasionally I need to go there to fix problems at their home - mainly electronics that my dad somehow likes to do things with that means they don't work.

What I've done since is use the car more often to go shopping to a reasonably nearby town (20 mins drive away) to keep the new battery topped up as well as the rest of the car in good nick including the brakes, which do bind if not used).

I personally feel that's a minimal risk to take, given I'm driving outside the rush hour, in daylight on decent roads, at most once a week. The supermarket I visit is also much more empty than my local one, meaning the chances of me either catching or passing on COVID are likely a good deal less.

My previous battery failed when I was about to go to my parents home. The delay in getting it fixed meant I had to postpone the visit until another day. That might have been not the end of the world that time, but it could've been important, or for others in a similar position.

We just need to be sensible about this - measured risk (something I have a good deal of experience with in my career) is part of life, and, despite what the likes of Chris Whitty thinks, we cannot survive by taking none and locking ourselves away at home adinfinitum. Doing so will also send us potty.

Note also that fresh air and outdoor exercise (as well as getting vitamin D via sunlight, even at this time of year) is also VERY ebenficial to both mental and physical health and great for our immune systems, which is of PRIMARY importance during a pandemic.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - RT

That's clearly not an essential journey so liable for a £200 fine.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Bromptonaut

You may not leave your home/garden unless you have a lawful excuse.

The legislation includes a non-exhaustive list of lawful excuses like shopping for essentials, exercise, work if you cannot work at home, medical treatment and jury service.

A person challenged for being out of their home might have a lawful excuse not in the list. My car is currently telling me the battery is low and I should charge it by driving. Would that be a legitimate excuse do a 60 mile drive up the M1/M6 to Rugby and back down the A5?

Maybe boredom sitting idle at home has a deleterious effect on your Mental Health. Is that a legitimate excuse? If so over what distance? M25 and back, Scottish Border and back?

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - sammy1

With the likes of quite a few A list celebrities going abroad, some politicians and footballers and the rest doing much as they please it makes you wonder. Go out if you may you only have to apologise for your misdemeanour!!

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Zippy123

My car is currently telling me the battery is low and I should charge it by driving. Would that be a legitimate excuse do a 60 mile drive up the M1/M6 to Rugby and back down the A5?

Maybe boredom sitting idle at home has a deleterious effect on your Mental Health. Is that a legitimate excuse?

Car battery - get a trickle charger.

Boredom - go for a walk - it's exercise.

My car is currently telling me the battery is low and I should charge it by driving. Would that be a legitimate excuse do a 60 mile drive up the M1/M6 to Rugby and back down the A5?

Maybe boredom sitting idle at home has a deleterious effect on your Mental Health. Is that a legitimate excuse?

Car battery - get a trickle charger.

Not so useful for those of us living in a flat with no access to a socket nearby or securely. Other devices that charge a battery more quickly are very expensive, if I recall. I think that we need to give some people a bit of leeway if they in turn are reasonable (taking a low level of risk) in what they do, as I explained above. Allowing yoofs to tear up the local back roads or bypass is not, though.

Boredom - go for a walk - it's exercise.

That's definitely excellent advice. Unfortunately in some areas (particularly London), some more authoritarian members of Plod appear to be telling people not to go for a walk in the street. Again, it's all about being reasonable.

With 83,000 people having died as a result of Covid-19, why are people looking for loopholes?
Stick to what you need to do, rather than what you think you can get away with, and we’re in with a better chance of regaining some form of control.

why are people looking for loopholes?

They are not loopholes. Loopholes are accidental omissions or mistakes in legislation which are, perhaps unscrupulously, exploited. The issues I have highlighted are examples of deliberate obfuscation by the government to confuse the population into believing they have legislated for things they have not. That's bad enough in itself but the police are compounding that deceit by threatening people with criminal sanctions when they have not broken the law.

The principle of law in the UK is that everything is permitted unless it is specifically forbidden. If the government wants people to remain within 5 miles of home they must legislate for it. To enact a piece of vague legislation and then attempt to tighten it by issuing "guidance" which has no legal standing is dishonest. Some of the measures taken over the last ten months have profound implications for legislation and policing in this country and if we're not careful it will see the beginning of a very slippery slope from which it will be difficult to recover. Being in the middle of a pandemic is no reason to abandon the basic principles of law. If people want to take measures which go beyond the legislation they are quite free to do so but the police are not entitled to act unlawfully to "encourage" others to do the same.

Edited by Middleman on 13/01/2021 at 22:27

Being in the middle of a pandemic is the best reason ever to just stay at home and only go out when you need to and not when you fancy a drive.
Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Terry W

A change of scenery is an attractive idea, even if it doesn't involve getting out the car.

However finding some fine print in the laws, rules or guidance is he wrong way. They exist for a very good reason.

If you are intent on going out be honest with yourself - write a brief shopping list (milk,butter, eggs, steaks etc) and pick a route via a series of reasonably close supermarkets. Plus a DiY click and collect order.

Driving 30 miles from home is not really plausible, and if arguing the legal toss the police are likely to assume you are trying to be a smartar5e.

If stopped you have a credible explanation. Plod probably won't bother to follow you home to check your fridge to confirm you really needed said bottle of milk!

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Andrew-T

<< The principle of law in the UK is that everything is permitted unless it is specifically forbidden. If the government wants people to remain within 5 miles of home they must legislate for it. >>

I can understand the government avoiding making legislation which they hope will only be needed for less than a year. Firstly it would be unquantifiable and so unenforceable, and like much other legislation might remain on the statute book for decades.

Stick to what you need to do, rather than what you think you can get away with, and we’re in with a better chance of regaining some form of control.

I never go out to 'see what I can get away with'. But the fact remains that Covid spreads by person-to-person meetings. If one gets into the car and drives a few miles without stopping or speaking to anyone before returning home, that cannot raise the probability of catching anything. Anyway I did that the other day just to give the car a bit of exercise.

I gave myself an hour's exercise on foot the day before, passing about 15 to 20 others en route. So tell me which presents more hazard, and which one is allowed to do.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - alan1302

I never go out to 'see what I can get away with'. But the fact remains that Covid spreads by person-to-person meetings. If one gets into the car and drives a few miles without stopping or speaking to anyone before returning home, that cannot raise the probability of catching anything. Anyway I did that the other day just to give the car a bit of exercise.

I gave myself an hour's exercise on foot the day before, passing about 15 to 20 others en route. So tell me which presents more hazard, and which one is allowed to do.

Think partly they want to try and limit people going out by car to places as if they say it is ok to do so then everywhere is busy and there is no social distancing.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Zippy123

People are dying of covid. By going out, you may be spreading it. You may break down, have an accident, need fuel. All will have interactions with other people.

Don't be selfish, don't be evil.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - 72 dudes

I agree with much of the sentiment on here, but unfortunately many other members of the public do not.

I work part time in a Sainsbury's petrol station and am getting increasingly frustrated at the number of people still coming in for non essentials.

Examples over the last few days: A newspaper; a pouch of tobacco; a pack of cigarettes; a Costa coffee from the damn machine; some bags of sweets and an energy drink. These are all different people by the way and very few are actually buying any fuel.

I've asked management if we can switch the coffee machine off, it's being considered. We have one retired couple who come in every day for two large lattes. It's a nice trip out to have a chat with the lovely staff in the petrol station, who all swear under their breath when the Octavia Estate pulls up.

Sainsbury's are partially to blame here of course and hopefully over the next few days we may be going back to selling just fuel and taking payment through the night hatch. This was what we did last Spring, but now of course all that lost profit is calling, and my calls for limiting the number of customers at any one time and the closure of the station for an hour while we unpack the stock from the grocery delivery, are being ignored. Not because the Managers don't care, but because nobody is prepared to make a sensible decision without direct authorisation from HO in London. Profit again apparently.

Apologies for the rant, but it's close to my heart at the moment.

So to the OP, I'd much rather you went for a drive for pleasure's sake rather than find a loophole to go to a convenience store for non essentials.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Alby Back
Tangential to this discussion, but it must be something that will affect others too. My diesel car has gone from doing nearly a 1000 miles a week before Covid to about 25 miles a week now, all local and "essential". Starting to think that might not be doing it any favours.
Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - oldgit
Tangential to this discussion, but it must be something that will affect others too. My diesel car has gone from doing nearly a 1000 miles a week before Covid to about 25 miles a week now, all local and "essential". Starting to think that might not be doing it any favours.

Mistake 1.

Previously having to drive 1000 miles/week. Let's hope you never have to return to that.

Mistake 2.

Having a diesel engine in the first place.

Miatake 3.

Only driving about 25 miles/week now in a diesel engine vehicle.

Despite what others say here and with some justification, I still go out in my car weekly for circular trips of about 25 miles not stopping of course to keep my sanity and not to allow my lifet long Agoraphobia to take hold aggressively and which continues to curtail the activities that normal people enjoy. I will take the risk, he said selfishly.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Alby Back

Mistake 1.

Previously having to drive 1000 miles/week. Let's hope you never have to return to that.

Mistake 2.

Having a diesel engine in the first place.

Miatake 3.

Only driving about 25 miles/week now in a diesel engine vehicle.

Despite what others say here and with some justification, I still go out in my car weekly for circular trips of about 25 miles not stopping of course to keep my sanity and not to allow my lifet long Agoraphobia to take hold aggressively and which continues to curtail the activities that normal people enjoy. I will take the risk, he said selfishly.

I've made a lot of mistakes, I'm very sorry, I shall go and meditate on how to be a better person in future... ;-)
Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - John F

I think you might mean claustrophobia, although lately it seems that 'agoraphobia' is being used to describe it - possibly because no-one seems to learn Latin or Greek these days. And yes, disobeying the rules is indeed selfish - and somewhat thoughtless in this instance.

There are a mere two policemen per 100 people so you are unlikely to get caught, as the chances are that one of them is not at work, off sick, on leave or doing paperwork. If all 32 million licence holders went weekly joy riding, the chances are high that a good few hundred of them would have an accident, or fall ill while out. Just what the emergency services don't want at present. Better to go for a local walk instead.

There are a mere two policemen per 100 people .........

OOps - missed a '0' off, and the 'edit' facility expired.

I work part time in a Sainsbury's petrol station and am getting increasingly frustrated at the number of people still coming in for non essentials.

I sympathise with any counter staff who have to deal with perhaps hundreds of customers during a working day. That is a completely different level of exposure to a normal retired person who would otherwise see no-one but the postman or delivery person.

I wonder how much attention is given to frequent sanitisation of things like door pulls and fuel-pump grips ?

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - corax
I wonder how much attention is given to frequent sanitisation of things like door pulls and fuel-pump grips ?

Probably not much but if certain members of the public had any sense they would be taking responsibility for themselves and wearing gloves, however awkward that is.

Anyone who takes the risk of doing non essential stuff at the moment are treading a very dangerous path with the hospitals near full capacity, given that they have no idea of their personal resistance to the virus, let alone increasing exposure to work staff.

Probably not much but if certain members of the public had any sense they would be taking responsibility for themselves and wearing gloves, however awkward that is.

The wearing of gloves may do little to help avoid picking up infection unless you remember to take them off before touching your face. The bug spreads largely by inhalation of the virus, or picking it up manually and then rubbing your nose (for example).

Perhaps I should clarify - when I go out for 'essential' purposes it is almost always on foot, as I live near the centre of a small town with most shopping facilities. On that basis I may be more at risk than those who drive to the supermarket - but I doubt it. Usually I buy few items so I take my own plastic bag to avoid using trolleys or baskets.

People are dying of covid. By going out, you may be spreading it. You may break down, have an accident, need fuel. All will have interactions with other people.

I don't like illogical mantras. I could also meet an unexpected difficulty going to the shops or on any other 'essential' errand. I merely point out that while travelling inside my closed car (which I am advised against) I am less exposed than while walking (which I am permitted). The mantra implies that to minimise risk I should never go anywhere - which is where unforeseen events always happen, including at home of course.

You're quite correct something untoward could happen on an 'essential' errand, however the key word is 'essential'. You were out because it was, and I'm struggling to describe it in any other way, essential.

We seem to have reached a point where people are reading a simple, unequivocal, message to stay home and considering that it applies to everyone else and not them.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Senexdriver

Somebody has posted on Facebook “You are not STUCK at home, you are SAFE at home”. Says it all don’t it.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Avant

You're right of course, Senex. But it's fine for people like me, living in semi-retirement in a rural Dorset village. I do sympathise with people living in towns and cities, often in cramped conditions, who are desperate to get out of their immediate environment.

I favour a supermarket about 10 miles from home, which is family-owned and so far one hasn't had to queue to get in or out. And it gives the cars a run. I really can't see anything wrong with that.

We also need to bear in mind that - given the numbers of newspapers sold and estimates of those who listen to / watch news programmes (numbers which overlap) - probably not much more than half the adult population actually reads or hears the news, let alone follow the endless changing of mind of this hopelessly reactive government.

We also need to bear in mind that - given the numbers of newspapers sold and estimates of those who listen to / watch news programmes (numbers which overlap) - probably not much more than half the adult population actually reads or hears the news, let alone follow the endless changing of mind of this hopelessly reactive government.

I suspect many millennials interact with the outside world via their smartphones, so how much time they spend keeping up with Covid rules is anyone's guess. Possibly more about how many of their friends have info to pass on.

I suspect many millennials interact with the outside world via their smartphones, so how much time they spend keeping up with Covid rules is anyone's guess. Possibly more about how many of their friends have info to pass on.

Seeing as they can get easy access to news/government websites and places like Facebook pushing through the information I expect they know a lot more that a lot of non-millenials.

<< Seeing as they can get easy access to news/government websites and places like Facebook pushing through the information I expect they know a lot more that a lot of non-millenials >>

Yes, but do they ?

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - skidpan

We have had a bit of a difficult decision to make this week regarding travel following the MIL's death. We needed to visit the Hospital to collect her belongings and the funeral home to finalise arrangements and take certain items she wished to be buried with, we were assured that both were classed as essential journeys. Whilst were were there we filled the car with some of her belongings and brought them down to our property.

That still leaves her bungalow full to brimming and the council want to take possession as soon as poss so it can be refurbished (its not been touched since she moved in in 1979). Her will states she wanted her furniture to be sold for charity. From the date of her death we will be paying full rent and council tax thus we don't want it t drag on.

We were quite concerned about travelling 40 miles each way to take away portable stuff plus when we contacted several house clearance companies none are doing anything other than taking the stuff away and skipping it due to Covid rules, about £750 for a Luton Van load + VAT and extra for white goods.

Today we spoke to the council housing people who have e-mailed us a document that confirms we are OK to travel since its considered essential plus if we simply hand over the keys after taking away what we want they will do the rest for about £400 plus VAT.

We will still be making quite a few trips (we could hire a van but who has been using it before us?). So its cars over the next few weeks and hopefully we should be done by mid February.

There does seem some logical people around.

We will still be making quite a few trips (we could hire a van but who has been using it before us?). So its cars over the next few weeks and hopefully we should be done by mid February.

Most large hire companies will clean out and sanitise the interior when they get them back. Also it's a 5 minute thing to spray round some anti bacterial spray round a van before getting in it if you are concerned. That's just common sense ;-)

I favour a supermarket about 10 miles from home, which is family-owned and so far one hasn't had to queue to get in or out. And it gives the cars a run. I really can't see anything wrong with that.

You surprise me, Avant. I rather thought you were old enough to be in a vulnerable group. I haven't been to a supermarket/viral cloud for nearly a year. They deliver to my rural village - surely yours too?

You surprise me, Avant. I rather thought you were old enough to be in a vulnerable group. I haven't been to a supermarket/viral cloud for nearly a year. They deliver to my rural village - surely yours too?

I'm 83,almost and have been out I'm that wide dangerous world for the last 12 months. And why not? However I know a few people who, like yourself have hidden yourself away but that's your choice. I visit M&S every week in The Glades and then a Tesco or Waitrose towards the end of the week.

I have only had possibly four home deliveries in that time due to difficulty in getting slots and making orders to the minimum required. I'd like to have an Ocado delivery now that M&S Food can be obtained but never any slots.

If I die from Covid, so be it after all something is going to take me in in the not so distant future or end up drooling away in care home.

You've clearly succumbed to the Government's scare tactics

Edited by oldgit on 14/01/2021 at 16:03

<< I'm 83,almost and have been out in that wide dangerous world for the last 12 months. And why not? However I know a few people who, like yourself have hidden yourself away but that's your choice. >>

I'm 81 and likewise. If the open air offers a threat of catching Covid we would probably all have caught it before now. It is usually caught from nearby people in enclosed spaces, or from contact with contaminated surfaces.

If you are seriously risk-averse, by all means stay away from other people, but my choice is to apply social distancing at a common-sense level. I may be unlucky, but that's life. I shall be getting my first jab in a few days, so I may catch it then .....

That's kind of you, John, but although I'm 72 I'd rather get out and shop for myself and for SWMBO. We could get deliveries but others are in more need of them than we are.

Edited by Avant on 14/01/2021 at 23:22

That's kind of you, John, but althpugh I'm 72 I'd rather get out and shop for myself and for SWMBO. We could get deliveries but others are in more need of them more than we are.

Good on you, mate.

I now people who seem to vhave Permanent slots with say, Ocado thus blocking other perhaps more needy people being able to avail themselves of them.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - mss1tw

At the risk of injecting(!) some sanity to the COVID hysteria, here are some official studies on masks done pre-COVID.

wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

A May 2020 meta-study on pandemic influenza published by the US CDC found that face masks had no effect, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.

www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-wit.../

no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth masks against virus infection or transmission.

www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/new-study-reveals-blueprint-...n

mask requirement was of no benefit and could even increase the risk of infection.

www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commen...a

University of Illinois concluded face masks have no effect in everyday life, neither as self-protection nor to protect third parties

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

cloth face masks offer little to no protection in everyday life.

www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.30.2004721...2

An April 2020 Cochrane review (preprint) found that face masks in the general population or health care workers didn’t reduce influenza-like illness (ILI) cases.

www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.01.2004952...1

evidence is not sufficiently strong to support widespread use of facemasks”

www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/13523664

Japanese researchers found that cloth masks “offer zero protection against coronavirus”

bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

A 2015 study in the BMJ Open found cloth masks may increase infection risk

www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2019/02/01/Million.../

Japan, despite widespread use of masks, had influenza epidemic

www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers

At the risk of injecting(!) some sanity to the COVID hysteria, here are some official studies on masks done pre-COVID.

OK, so those are the negative results. Where are the positive ones - or your collection may look a bit biased ?

Simple face masks can't be totally useless, as they must reduce the effect of any coughs or spits - but I agree they may have largely a placebo effect. They also allow you to shop without being disciplined.

I'm sorry you think science has to respond to what you feel

Maybe there are no positive results?

As a lifetime scientist I am sorry that you feel able to judge how or what I feel from an impersonal post. As I doubt that face masks can have absolutely zero effect, while your list of references seems to suggest the opposite, I was wondering whether your selection might not be completely objective.

Admittedly I am not a scientist

However I know of more people in my circle of acquaintances (Not immediate friends thank God) who have committed suicide due to the lockdown for a virus with a >99% survival rate

(4 - 2x business failures, 2x deaths of despair/mental health) than I do who have died from said killer deadly virus (0)

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - FP

The "case fatality rate" worldwide (i.e. the proportion of those who die after getting infected with Covid) is 2%. In the UK it's about 3%. (ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid)

However, statistics like these rely to some degree on approximation and estimates. However, it is very likely the actual number of those infected is higher than the recorded number.

However I know of more people in my circle of acquaintances (Not immediate friends thank God) who have committed suicide due to the lockdown for a virus with a >99% survival rate (4 - 2x business failures, 2x deaths of despair/mental health) than I do who have died from said killer deadly virus (0)

I've not been as unfortunate as that - but those deaths, while Covid may have been an indirect cause, would not have had that on any death cert. Two of my contemporaries (about 80) both suffering from dementia, died of Covid in hospital. In their younger days they had been good athletes and continued in my sport (orienteering) into their 70s.

Another near-contemporary went into hospital for an op about 15 years ago, but died there of MRSA. Hospitals can be bad for your health, as well as good.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - SLO76

Going for a short drive in your own car is of little risk to you or others as long as caution and plenty of hand sanitiser are used when refuelling. If they really were taking this lockdown seriously and it wasn’t just a political game of who seems the most concerned then they’d focus on public transport.

I work for a major bus transport firm and we are seeing the same faces daily on unnecessary journeys on buses, most of them are not going to places of work but just getting out for the sake of it, a big percentage of them are claiming to be exempt from wearing face masks. These people are super spreaders and not one police officer has to date appeared at the bus garage to quiz any of them, nor has a single bus been stopped when leaving one region to the next. The trains are likely just the same. We are passing by police checkpoints with bus loads of unnecessary travellers and not an eye is turned to them. Why?

One family, who’ve never worked a day spend their entire day almost every day running about on buses for free and still they’re at it despite lockdown and not a face mask between them. There’s plenty of others including careers with mentally disabled people who are still regularly just going for a run to entertain them. Drivers have no power to police any of this and any comment made regarding masks or unnecessary travel is met more often than not with hostility.

I believe the reaction to COVID has been overzealous and poorly targeted. The bulk of the population take it like a mild flu if even they have symptoms at all. My wife had it and spent a couple of days in bed moderately unwell, my son most likely had it and wasn’t ill at all and if I had it then it’s not really made my mystery back, neck and muscle pain any worse. Everyone I know that’s had it has weathered it mildly bar one who was hugely unhealthy to start with. We’re killing our economy, wracking up incredible debt and people are dying from delays in testing and treatment for other illnesses. I’ve been suffering from some mystery ailment since November last year that’s taken my PSV licence from me and that the NHS has been next to useless in diagnosing.

Last figure I read put the number of people who’ve died under the age of 60 with no underlying health issue at just over 300. This has to be less than a normal flu season. How many have died from being locked out of the NHS testing for cancer and other serious illnesses?

Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying this is a conspiracy and that COVID isn’t lethal but the reaction to it needs to be targeted at those who are vulnerable to it. For the majority of the population it isn’t a big problem but the unemployment, wage cuts and tax rises that’ll come along with the illness from lack of healthcare access will.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - Ian_SW

I think the reason why "going for a drive" is banned at the moment is that very few people would actually do just that.

If driving for the sake of it was allowed, many more would be tempted to drop in at a friends house for a cup of tea (and potentially a dose of virus as well) as part of that outing.

Once "going for a drive" is allowed, anyone stopped by the police can give that as an excuse for being out and about when stopped miles from home.

Clearly people can still use "going for a walk" as the excuse, but they are unlikely to spread the virus over such large distances.

If the OP wants to get out and about more, why not get a second job doing something which involves driving such as supermarket deliveries, parcel delivery, Ubet Eats driver etc.?

Going for a short drive in your own car is of little risk to you or others as long as caution and plenty of hand sanitiser are used when refuelling. If they really were taking this lockdown seriously and it wasn’t just a political game of who seems the most concerned then they’d focus on public transport.

I work for a major bus transport firm and we are seeing the same faces daily on unnecessary journeys on buses, most of them are not going to places of work but just getting out for the sake of it, a big percentage of them are claiming to be exempt from wearing face masks. These people are super spreaders and not one police officer has to date appeared at the bus garage to quiz any of them, nor has a single bus been stopped when leaving one region to the next. The trains are likely just the same. We are passing by police checkpoints with bus loads of unnecessary travellers and not an eye is turned to them. Why?

One family, who’ve never worked a day spend their entire day almost every day running about on buses for free and still they’re at it despite lockdown and not a face mask between them. There’s plenty of others including careers with mentally disabled people who are still regularly just going for a run to entertain them. Drivers have no power to police any of this and any comment made regarding masks or unnecessary travel is met more often than not with hostility.

I believe the reaction to COVID has been overzealous and poorly targeted. The bulk of the population take it like a mild flu if even they have symptoms at all. My wife had it and spent a couple of days in bed moderately unwell, my son most likely had it and wasn’t ill at all and if I had it then it’s not really made my mystery back, neck and muscle pain any worse. Everyone I know that’s had it has weathered it mildly bar one who was hugely unhealthy to start with. We’re killing our economy, wracking up incredible debt and people are dying from delays in testing and treatment for other illnesses. I’ve been suffering from some mystery ailment since November last year that’s taken my PSV licence from me and that the NHS has been next to useless in diagnosing.

Last figure I read put the number of people who’ve died under the age of 60 with no underlying health issue at just over 300. This has to be less than a normal flu season. How many have died from being locked out of the NHS testing for cancer and other serious illnesses?

Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying this is a conspiracy and that COVID isn’t lethal but the reaction to it needs to be targeted at those who are vulnerable to it. For the majority of the population it isn’t a big problem but the unemployment, wage cuts and tax rises that’ll come along with the illness from lack of healthcare access will.

Well said, SLO.

Last figure I read put the number of people who’ve died under the age of 60 with no underlying health issue at just over 300.

Could not find that figure but here is what I have found.

Since there seems to be no figures for the under 60's I have had to use the under 65 category. Total excess deaths in 2020 for this age group was just over 7,000.

The % age of people who have died of Covid with no underlying heath issues is about 9%. 9% of 7,000 is 630.

Whilst higher than the figure above its only about 0.7% of the total deaths.

But everyone of those young people has family who is mourning their passing. Its not as simple as saying its less than a normal flu season, its been a dreadful year.

I am sick and tired of those people who say that its not aproblem for most and we should get back to normal and sod those who die, you or a family member could be one of those people.

And lets not forget that the reported figures do not include all Covid related deaths. My MIL tested positive for Covid on 09 December 2020 and died 04 January 2021. There is no mention of Covid on the certificate despite it being within 28 days of a positive test, it simply says Broncho Pneumonia and severe frailty. So what are the real numbers, she has not been the only person to be missed, perhaps its Government policy.

<< I am sick and tired of those people who say that it's not a problem for most and we should get back to normal and sod those who die, you or a family member could be one of those people. >>

You may well be, Skidpan, but if we stand back from the Covid epidemic and consider the whole health picture, there will be larger numbers of relatives mourning the loss of family from causes other than Covid, it's part of life. But they don't get a mention, and for them the year has been equally dreadful.

Most of the older population is running scared, at least until they get vaccinated. If there is a benefit from this pandemic, it may be that everyone - except those who believe the whole thing is a hoax - has been reminded how easily viruses get transmitted. I guess that when herd immunity is reached, perhaps next winter or thereabouts, Covid will reappear now and again, rather like good old-fashioned flu. People died of that occasionally, but no-one really noticed, That was 'normal'.

Last figure I read put the number of people who’ve died under the age of 60 with no underlying health issue at just over 300.

Could not find that figure but here is what I have found.

Since there seems to be no figures for the under 60's I have had to use the under 65 category. Total excess deaths in 2020 for this age group was just over 7,000.

The % age of people who have died of Covid with no underlying heath issues is about 9%. 9% of 7,000 is 630.

Whilst higher than the figure above its only about 0.7% of the total deaths.

But everyone of those young people has family who is mourning their passing. Its not as simple as saying its less than a normal flu season, its been a dreadful year.

I am sick and tired of those people who say that its not aproblem for most and we should get back to normal and sod those who die, you or a family member could be one of those people.

And lets not forget that the reported figures do not include all Covid related deaths. My MIL tested positive for Covid on 09 December 2020 and died 04 January 2021. There is no mention of Covid on the certificate despite it being within 28 days of a positive test, it simply says Broncho Pneumonia and severe frailty. So what are the real numbers, she has not been the only person to be missed, perhaps its Government policy.

The figure for otherwise healthy under 60s - 388 as of 27th Dec 2020, was reported in much of the UK media. To be fair, Skidpan, whilst you may be correct that COVID made a significant difference to your late MIL, it may not have to others who death was included because they died within the (arbitrary) 28-day limit.

Probably why a 'date limit' is not a good judge, but the authorities argument is that they just don't have the time/resources to do full workups/autopsies on every person suspected of having COVID.

My condolences over your loss.

I am sick and tired of those people who say that its not aproblem for most and we should get back to normal

It's not a problem for most people and we did not implode the economy for SARS-COV-1.

and sod those who die, you or a family member could be one of those people.

I've had it. It wasn't even the worst respiratory illness I have ever had. The fatigue was the most unpleasant aspect.

I've had family members die. Cancer. I didn't demand everyone kow-tow to my feelings and fears.

85,000 excess deaths in 2020 over a rolling five year average, the highest number of excess deaths since WW2. Many of those infections could have been passed on by asymptomatic younger people.

Anyone remember the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics? Now picture all the crowd in the stadium dead. That's what 85,000 looks like.

85,000 excess deaths in 2020 over a rolling five year average, the highest number of excess deaths since WW2. Many of those infections could have been passed on by asymptomatic younger people.

Anyone remember the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics? Now picture all the crowd in the stadium dead. That's what 85,000 looks like.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Case Study A

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-mortality-rates-in...5

1. There are no quotes in this article, only the journalists interpretation

2. Headline changes "was almost without parallel" to "unparalleled loss of life. 3rd degree Chinese whispers

3. First graph is cases - irrelevant, but sets the bias

4. First deaths graph which shows covid top is not normalised for population growth, so is meaningless.

5. Second graph a zoom in of the first, to hammer it in. Directly compares Covid to WWI. Because soldiers with 60 years ahead of them deliberately killed are the same as someone beyond average life expectancy dying of pneumonia whose weakened body also picked up Covid. Not normalised for population.

6. Editor taps him on the shoulder about the population problem. Shows excess deaths are up to 10.2 per thousand from 8.9 last year. Shut the economy and hide indoors, the plague!! We are now back to death levels last seen in 2003 (think there was a heatwave then, I guess we should have all been locked up then too.

7. Gives the reason for the gap from 2003 to now was medical improvements. That's just made up, metabolic health has gotten far worse in the interim.

8. So a proper population adjusted graph (but your biases are set, right? In work, all the managers just want to know "the number", i.e. how big I think a field is. So rather than make them wait to the end, I put it on the first slide. Once I've spend the next 50 slides justifying it, they are all nodding along like donkeys, as if they thought of it themselves). Problem here is, 'deaths' are not defined. Covid or lockdown deaths? Also, why the trend increase since 2010 or so, obesity?

9. The next trick on this graph is the scale (used to hide all manner of crimes, which is why I asked someone here for it yesterday). Its not an absolute number, but a rates. Its deaths as a % of the previous 5 year average. So if you have a good five years, and something happens like the March pandemic, you get a spike. This is why the graph is spiky, and not very useful. he relates this back to 1940 "My God this is terrible! We are in a once in an 80 year event". No, 1935-1940 were pretty good, until Hitler started bombing England. What an utterly ridiculous comparison to make. The 1951 flu epidemic also had a quiet 5 year period prior, causing the spike.

10. Same goes for the age adjusted graph up next, showing rates relative to the prior 5 years. Not useful. It doesn't look to be normalised by population either. Here he brings in 'without parallel', when even this graph shows spikes over 10% have happened 7 times during this time period, with the current one having by far the best 5 year prior period.

11. Just for the heck of it, he changes the rate calculation to change in mortality vs the previous year, rather than the 5 year average. Even more statistically stupid. Here, it puts Covid 3rd in the all time (selective) list:

He doesn't mention that 2019 was a year of low mortality (the dry tinder), which is responsible for this. His narrative implies that Covid is worse than Cholera, WWI or WWII.

Then comes a bunch of caveats to cover his backside legally I'm sure, and finished by implying they would have been worse without lockdowns.

If this amateur hour is the best they can come up with, they are running out of ammo.

By all means continue to believe the government, like when they saved us from Saddam and the weapons of mass destruction that never were.

There may well be all sorts, journalists & politicians to name just two categories playing fast/loose with numbers they may, or may not, understand.

The real question is are we prepared in the 21st century with 24hr media of all types, to deal with a situation where the health service and quite possibly the infrastructure for dealing with the dead are overwhelmed?

There may well be all sorts, journalists & politicians to name just two categories playing fast/loose with numbers they may, or may not, understand.

The real question is are we prepared in the 21st century with 24hr media of all types, to deal with a situation where the health service and quite possibly the infrastructure for dealing with the dead are overwhelmed?

They had enough time to make Tiktok videos...

pasteboard.co/JJNNhWv.png

(A selection of headlines, nothing insalubrious)

Yes, there was always a winter crisis.

And?

And?

You're the one saying this year is different, not me.

And?

It is different this year - we have what is expected at this time of year as well as a load of extra people going into hospital with a brand new virus no one even really knew about this time last year.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - bathtub tom

So mss1tw, why are the government spreading all this false information?

... and why are you determined to disbelieve everything, and on what firm basis ? I'm quite happy to agree misleading use of stats, but saying they are falsified is a bit further.

... and why are you determined to disbelieve everything

Straw man. I believe what my eyes, experiences, and people I know in the NHS tell me.

Straw man. I believe what my eyes, experiences, and people I know in the NHS tell me.

There is much you will never know about in this world then.

<< I believe what my eyes, experiences, and people I know in the NHS tell me. >>

There are millions of people in the US with very personalised sets of opinion, as recent events have clearly demonstrated. All their 'facts' are carefully selected before assimilation.

<< I believe what my eyes, experiences, and people I know in the NHS tell me. >>

There are millions of people in the US with very personalised sets of opinion, as recent events have clearly demonstrated. All their 'facts' are carefully selected before assimilation.

How do you mean?

How do you mean?

I don't believe my remark needs explanation, so I won't expand on it.

You would have to ask the government that. They might say we benefit as they 'build back better'.

I assume you're comfortably furloughed, or able to work from home, so have no reason to think about things.

Edited by mss1tw on 16/01/2021 at 00:18

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - _

The thread is decending into "I say" "you say" and off topic.

But there is a problem out there with people (and health workers) not distancing.

I have two elderly friends, unable to get to a GP, unable to drive a fair distance to get a PCR test,and they have resorted to buying PCR tests from a pharmacy to get tested.

People are turning up for hospital appointments and casually mentioning that they are infected or are in contact with somene who is.

Madness.

Sorry, I'll shout this out..

For the sake of YOUR families, Your and THEIR LIVES, .YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR LOVED ONES.,

Please please keep all outside contact to a strict minimum for a bit longer.

Please please keep all outside contact to a strict minimum for a bit longer.

And back on topic, going for a drive on your own in your car is not making unnecessary contact with anybody else. Yes you may have to fill up with petrol a bit earlier but you have to get shopping as well so you can do it at the same time. Yes you might have a road traffic accident. But far and away the most common reason people present at A&E is because they've had an accident in their own home. So to protect the NHS you're better off going for a drive.

The NHS is always under significant extra pressure in January/February. There are many reasons including more slip/trips in bad weather, seasonal influenza etc. Other infections like 'winter vomiting virus' for which Christmas visits to family and friends are a vector, problems accumulated over Xmas and mental health are contributory too. The health services in the rest of the world, or at least the northern hemisphere will have the same pressures.

Add in several tens of thousands with a new and novel illness and the result is obvious.

There are people contributing on this site with family in the NHS front line relating exactly what's happening.

Italy got to the point in February last year where both hospitals and crematoria were overwhelmed. People dying in the streets and bodies going unburned/unburied is a risk no government will take.

There are people contributing on this site with family in the NHS front line relating exactly what's happening.

I already said that, and got told

In April, I was getting WhatsApp messages into the early hours as a friend doing nights covering the COVID ward in a South East London hospital had nothing to do.

I do agree, it WAS bad - for two to three weeks.

It is a known fact that more accidents occur in the home where there are stairs, sharp knives DIY equipment etc. People also tend to wear slippers or other unsuitable footwear (not me however) that can lead to falls and falling down stairs. Yes, being indoors is considerable more dangerous than driving a car.

In April, I was getting WhatsApp messages into the early hours as a friend doing nights covering the COVID ward in a South East London hospital had nothing to do.

So the hospitals are all fine then now?

So the hospitals are all fine then now?

Obviously cos a mate told him.

But perhaps his mate is not a doctor or a nurse etc.

Obviously cos a mate told him.

But perhaps his mate is not a doctor or a nurse etc.

What part of "COVID ward" was it that didn't make sense to you?

Edited by mss1tw on 16/01/2021 at 14:09

What part of "COVID ward" was it that didn't make sense to you?

As a record, or piece of anecdata, about a particular place time it stands.

No proof that it's an accurate record of the position across London at that time, never mind the rest of England, Great Britain or the UK. April was early in Lockdown 1 so on the face a bit soon for that to be a factor in low numbers. But there were and are big regional variations in how the pandemic has flowed and ebbed.

As an indicator of what's happening today it cannot see it has any value whatsoever but if mss1tw thinks it does then no doubt they will expand.

Driving for the sake of driving in lockdown - 72 dudes

mss1tw.

Reported, I find your comments about the hospitals offensive.

You clearly watch different news channels to the rest of us

Oh yes, I forgot, in your world, all the news media are in on the global conspiracy.

Reported for putting words 'in my mouth'.

Avant can delete my account, should he see fit to do so.

As for the news channels, here is the well-regarded Snopes report on footage being used in multiple news reports.

www.snopes.com/fact-check/cbs-news-italian-hospita.../

I am amused that people have an issue with my believing my own experiences, and then claim the idiot lantern as a source of indomitable truth.

Edited by mss1tw on 16/01/2021 at 15:10

A Snopes piece from 9 months ago is determining what you think the current situation is?

Where did I say that please?

I was responding to the claim I should trust everything on 'the news channels', by showing an incident where they were economical with the truth

Edited by mss1tw on 16/01/2021 at 15:30

So who do we listen to, or read from, to get an accurate picture of what's happening with Covid?

But will either of you be going out for a drive just for the sake of it? Or do you have any views on those who might do so?

Your spat is not really doing too much for this thread.

But will either of you be going out for a drive just for the sake of it?

Actually, no!

So who do we listen to, or read from, to get an accurate picture of what's happening with Covid?

But that's what I'm saying. Don't just blindly listen to the 'other side' either. I have no time for the 'COVID is a hoax' crowd. The virus is clearly real, and clearly dangerous to some, who should be offered all the help they need to isolate.

Those of us happy to continue with life should be able to do so as well. The money spent so far on SEISS and bounce-back loans would have covered a 'meals on wheels' or isolation facilities to allow this to happen.

The now dismantled Nightingale hospital (How many millions?) could have been used proactively rather than reactively.

Thread closed. It was a perfectly good question to ask in the first place, but we're not having it degenerate into a row. Middleman is quite right - enough.