What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - BPL

I would prefer something with 6+ cylinders but being realistic if I drop that requirement would this be suitable for a tall driver who wants a reliable sporty but reasonably comfortable ride and manual box? I see the tyres aren't ridicolous as some hot hatches. Any other suggestions gratefully received..... don't make me buy an EV just yet ......

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - Cris_on_the_gas

Have you considered Porsche Cayman or if you want a convertible a Boxster. Almost the same mechanically.

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - badbusdriver

Budget?

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - mcb100

They're the same tyre size as a Prius, so they can be a little tail-happy in the wet. If you're used to FWD, it may come as a bit of a shock...

I've not seen any reports of any ongoing issues, and as far as comfort is concerned, I'm just over 6 foot and fit in one wearing a crash helmet. So they're not bad for room.

I think sporty is a good word for them, as all manner of hot hatches will be faster.

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - SLO76
Can’t be answered without a budget. Is it £8k or £20k?
Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - Engineer Andy

I would prefer something with 6+ cylinders but being realistic if I drop that requirement would this be suitable for a tall driver who wants a reliable sporty but reasonably comfortable ride and manual box? I see the tyres aren't ridicolous as some hot hatches. Any other suggestions gratefully received..... don't make me buy an EV just yet ......

A tall order (pun not intended [really!]), especially given the lack of a budget. Most sporty cars, and a LOT of not very sporty ones now come with wide, low profile tyres, big 18in rims and firm suspension. Some of them may not allow smaller wheels and higher profile tyres - whether due to the size of the brakes or just 'officially' (and thus they cannot be insured).

It's also difficult to know what would be suitable, as we don't know how tall you actually are and people rarely measure the head/legroom in cars - they just try it out to see if they and regular passengers will fit and be comfortable. Sometimes some superminis actually have quite high rooflines compared to bigger hatches and saloons.

Also, how 'sporty' do you want the car to be? 0-60 time, top speed? Power/torque isn't everything if the car is heavy. You may want to consider certain 'warm' hatches shod on more sensible 17in 45 profile tyres, some even coming on the bog standard 205/55 R16 ones.

Ironically, some slightly older models may be better on this score, e.g. the SEAT Leon (previous gen) 3dr/5dr in 1.4TSI 140/150 PS form - the earlier FR versions came shod on 17in rims rather than the 18in ones of the later models (you may be able to downsize - not sure), if I recall, and Skidpan can hopefully confirm (if memory serves) his 2013/14 (?) Leon 1.4TSI 140 SE came shod on the standard 16in tyres. Fine looking car too - I prefer the 3dr.

Cars like that, if well cared for, could be a bargain buy compared to proper sports cars or brand new cars that have pace, but which are currently VERY expensive. Many reasonably quick hatches now start at £25k. It might be worth checking out some of the car supermarkets over the coming weeks and months, as unsold showroom and ex-demo cars start to trickle through to them after the year change up to the reg change in March.

A lot really depends on your budget - bearing in mind you need to factor in running costs as well - an older performance car will cost vastly more to run than a similarly priced newer warm or hot hatch.

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - mcb100

The GT86 is a bit of a paradox of a car in that it's not enormously quick in a straight line (just under 200ps and c1300Kg), but its whole raison d'etre is the fact that it is fun to drive.

They handle and steer beautifully, but don't have a huge amount of grip - as I've said above they're as standard on a Michelin Primacy tyre shared with a Prius, so a premium brand for £100.

Toyota GT86 - Sporty Petrol Car for tall driver - skidpan

if I recall, and Skidpan can hopefully confirm (if memory serves) his 2013/14 (?) Leon 1.4TSI 140 SE came shod on the standard 16in tyres

Better memory than me. 2013 car, was told on here I was mad to buy it because VAG are rubbish. Kept it for 3 1/2 brilliant years, only swapped it because needs changed and it was too small. Bought a mechanically identical Skoda Superb but since it was bigger it lost a bit of performance and handling sharpness.

Would certainly buy another, better than a modern GTi in the real world, they are simply too powerful.