What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Warranty - mystroe

While looking at Skoda Karoq YouTube review, I came across an Australian review of the 2020 version. I noticed a sticker on rear screen showing the car had a 5 Year warranty. Apart from the obvious, why do we only get a 3 Year warranty in UK.

Skoda Warranty - galileo

While looking at Skoda Karoq YouTube review, I came across an Australian review of the 2020 version. I noticed a sticker on rear screen showing the car had a 5 Year warranty. Apart from the obvious, why do we only get a 3 Year warranty in UK.

Because people here will buy things with a 3 year warranty and it saves VAG money on warranty repairs.

I think Australia and possibly the USA have stronger consumer protection bodies too.

Skoda Warranty - Zippy123

If you can prove an inherent manufacturing fault you have up to 6 years in the UK, though doing that would probably cost more than the repair.

Skoda Warranty - brum

A bit closer to home, SEAT cars have a five year warranty in Poland, but Skoda only have two years over there. A SEAT Ateca is basically the same as a Karoq.

You can always buy an extended warranty. That price is probably already factored in the purchase price of long warrantied cars.

If you are brave/foolish enough to get one wirh a DSG, make sure you get a Skoda factory extended warranty which is ONLY avalible at time of order/purchase (new cars only) as this is the only fully comprehensive warranty cover you will get on the DSG. All warranties sold after initial purchase is complete are third party (e.g. skoda finance uk ) products that have plenty of exclusions and limits on claims. In other words insurance policies.

Edited by brum on 29/12/2020 at 15:38

Skoda Warranty - daveyjp

5 years unlimited mileage appears to be offered by almost all manufacturers in Australia.

Skoda will be a niche player amongst the Far East manufacturers such as Kia, Hyundai, both known for long warranties, so giving less warranty is madness.

Skoda Warranty - RT

5 years unlimited mileage appears to be offered by almost all manufacturers in Australia.

Skoda will be a niche player amongst the Far East manufacturers such as Kia, Hyundai, both known for long warranties, so giving less warranty is madness.

It's down to individual country markets and competition between brands - there was a time when UK car warranties were 3 years but mainland Europe was only 1 year - as part of the dieselgate settlement, VW owners of TDis in the USA get 10 years or 100,000 miles warranty.

Skoda Warranty - craig-pd130

Similarly, I was watching a video on Youtube from a US-based vlogger who purchased an approved used Range Rover. The car came with a Land Rover US-supported warranty (i.e. not an aftermarket warranty) that covered it for 4 years from the vlogger's purchase date, or up to when the vehicle clocks up 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Try getting that thrown into the purchase price from a UK Land / Range Rover dealer.

Skoda Warranty - Avant

I don't think this needs to be a big issue for someone buying a new car, although a 5- or 7-year warranty sounds like a good selling point. With a Skoda for example you can buy a 2-year extension for about £600 - a small fraction.of the price of the car. So the choice depends on how long you think you're likely to keep the car.

When my daughter got her Fabia this year, we were assured by the dealer that she could wait and extend the warranty when the car is three years old. No doubt it that case the cost would depend on the condition and mileage of the car at that time.

Edited by Avant on 29/12/2020 at 23:47

Skoda Warranty - Smileyman

I extended the warranty on my SEAT Toledo when I purchased it, SEAT offered 5 years or 90,000 miles.

Looking at the internet today for manufacturer extended warranty options beyond 3 years 60,000 miles in the UK SEAT offers 5 years with 90,000 miles (Ibiza), and Skoda offers 5 years or 100,000 miles (Fabia). The prices are similar, SEAT £310, SKODA £324. There are also other options for 75,000 miles (SEAT) and 80,000 (Skoda).

Skoda Warranty - sammy1

I have never understood why insurance companies have not extended their car policies to cover a cars major components ie the engine and transmission. They will pay you say £20k accident or total loss and yet your engine could blow and nothing to do with your policy. For an additional fee on your policy they could perhaps cover mechanical loss. Are the car insurance companies somehow prohibited from this area or simply not practical for them. It seems to me that similar to accidents the number of mechanical claims would be very low compared to the premiums paid?

Skoda Warranty - _

I have never understood why insurance companies have not extended their car policies to cover a cars major components ie the engine and transmission. They will pay you say £20k accident or total loss and yet your engine could blow and nothing to do with your policy. For an additional fee on your policy they could perhaps cover mechanical loss. Are the car insurance companies somehow prohibited from this area or simply not practical for them. It seems to me that similar to accidents the number of mechanical claims would be very low compared to the premiums paid?

Insurance Companies in the Uk have made cover a race to the bottom.

Why, in this day and age is it not the vehicle that is covered.

In Europe I used to be able to use other peoples cars as it was the vehicle that was insured. Here in Blighty, If i want to let a friend drive my car I have to give all their details to my insurance company and suffer the increased premium (sometimes vastly so)

Skoda Warranty - jc2

I think you will find "any driver" policies are still available(at a cost) in this country and that "owner only driving" and "named driver" policies are available in the EU.It is NOT the car that is insured.I insure my cars "owner and spouse".

Skoda Warranty - focussed

I think you will find "any driver" policies are still available(at a cost) in this country and that "owner only driving" and "named driver" policies are available in the EU.It is NOT the car that is insured.I insure my cars "owner and spouse".

I don't think that it possible to insure a car in the EU with the parameters you describe. This is the mandatory situation in France which presumably must be the same in the rest of the EU.

The car insurance is mandatory in France by the law of February 27 , 1958, now codified in Title 1 , Book 2, regulatory part of the Insurance Code . The insurance obligation only concerns the “civil liability” cover, ie damage caused to third parties and passengers.

It must cover the owner of the vehicle, any person having custody or even unauthorized driving of the vehicle and the passengers of the insured vehicle 3 . As well as the damage caused by the fall of the transported accessories or objects, whether they occur at the time of the fall or afterwards. It also covers unloading or loading operations..

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assurance_automobile_en_Fran...n

Edited by focussed on 31/12/2020 at 16:31

Skoda Warranty - _

I don't think that it possible to insure a car in the EU with the parameters you describe. This is the mandatory situation in France which presumably must be the same in the rest of the EU.

The car insurance is mandatory in France by the law of February 27 , 1958, now codified in Title 1 , Book 2, regulatory part of the Insurance Code . The insurance obligation only concerns the “civil liability” cover, ie damage caused to third parties and passengers.

It must cover the owner of the vehicle, any person having custody or even unauthorized driving of the vehicle and the passengers of the insured vehicle 3 . As well as the damage caused by the fall of the transported accessories or objects, whether they occur at the time of the fall or afterwards. It also covers unloading or loading operations..

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assurance_automobile_en_Fran...n

Merci Monsieur!

That was my understanding,

Skoda Warranty - movilogo

>> why do we only get a 3 Year warranty in UK

Because that is what market tolerates in UK. If consumers refuse to buy cars with short warranty then manufacturers will be forced to extend.

Kia has done good with long warranty.

Also people now mostly buy (actually hire) new cars with PCP for 3 years so they don’t bother.

Skoda Warranty - skidpan

When my daughter got her Fabia this year, we were assured by the dealer that she could wait and extend the warranty when the car is three years old. No doubt it that case the cost would depend on the condition and mileage of the car at that time.

Avant, I fear your daughter may be disappointed if the Skoda warranty has the same T & C's as the Seat warranty we had on the Leon, since they are all VAG finance products and having looked into it when we bought the iV they appeared to be exactly that.

The finance chap at the Seat dealer was the only honest and knowledgeable person there. The salesman told me to wait until the car was 3 years old before buying the warranty but the finance chap gave me several reasons why that is not a good idea if you intend keeping the car beyond 3 years and extending the warranty.

Basically the warranty you buy before the car is registered has exactly the same T & C's as the standard 3 year warranty. If you buy at anytime after registration there are many exclusions and carefully worded reasons to reject a claim. If you buy the warranty after registration there was a £200 excess on every claim, that can soon add up if the car is troublesome and the issues just happen to be covered.

We never had to use the warranty since the car was totally reliable but we did not keep it the full 5 years, circumstances required a bigger car, we got our first Superb.

Would have extended the warranty on the Superb iV when we bought it but since it was a pre-reg (cancelled company order) we would have been limited by the T & C's attached to the after reg purchase which means IMHO its not a good buy.