What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - TQ

I keep my cars until they are beyond economical repair (4 cars since 1987). Now I need another and have a choice of two: both are identical model/colour Auris 1.6 CVT, FSH, one owner:

A: 2012, 40K, £6700. B: 2015, 60K, £8000.

I intend to keep car for approx 10 years and drive 10K annually. I don't know which to go for, is newer or less miles and cheaper better? Your views appreciated.

Ps: I have ruled out all other cars, only this model will work for me.

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - 72 dudes

Actually, assuming that you are in the UK, the cars must be totally different models.

A 2012 model would be the MK1 Auris, the smaller more rounded shape.

The 2015 model will be the later, larger MK2 Auris.

So you should buy the 2015 model at £8k.

A better car all round.

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - badbusdriver

As they are different versions, a facelift 1st gen vs a 2nd gen, you'd be best having a test drive and a good poke about both cars to see which you prefer.

Logic suggests going for the later car, but as they are both petrol engined Toyota's (i.e, extremely reliable) and both have full history, I would just go with your gut feeling after checking both out.

72 dudes says the later car is bigger, which it is, but only in length and only by 3cm. Width is exactly the same, but the earlier car is actually 5.5cm taller which would make it more appealing to me than the 2nd gen car.

Mechanically they appear to use exactly the same engine and, presumably, gearbox, so not sure if there would be any benefit to the newer car unless you prefer its looks.

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - wantstolearn

Any comments on the automatic system would be interesting

The cars are identical. The 2012 model is the newer sharper nosed one with a CVT (not MMT auto). The model ran from 2012-2019.

Edited by TQ on 23/12/2020 at 21:57

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - Auristocrat

The second generation Auris went on sale in the UK in December 2012, so the OP is correct in saying both cars they are considering are this version, rather than the first generation.

The Auris underwent a facelift in 2015, where the 1.6 was replaced by the 1.2T - so both cars would be pre-facelift.

Edited by Auristocrat on 23/12/2020 at 23:46

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - SLO76
I’d favour the newer car. It’s a better looking, nicer driving car with better fuel economy and crash worthiness. But if possible I’d spend a bit more for a lower mileage example as buyers of small automatic cars tend to shy away from high mileages and thus this would be a hard sell when you’re done with it. An extra £500-£1000 should source one with 40k or less. Otherwise there’s little to be worried about with one of these other than the usual poor quality paint repairs many people have done before returning cars on PCP or lease.

I think you are right SLO, an extra £500 or so might get me something in between and thus be ideal. I also agree about lower mileage being better. As for when it comes to sell.....that won't matter, it'll be so old that it will only be worth £100! I'm going to wait until start January as not much action can happen presently.

Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - SLO76
As a confidence booster in your chosen car my decade old Toyota now has 90,000 miles up and it drives without fault and has no visible rust at all. I have utter confidence in it, I’d happily drive round Europe in it in a post COVID world.
Toyota Auris Automatic - Advice/Opinion sought - pd

Must admit I consider a 10 year old car with 90k relatively new compared to most stuff I've driven round Europe in! :)

Edited by pd on 24/12/2020 at 09:22