What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Are eu having a larf? - brum

Things seems to be getting more farcical by the day.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/18/lorry-dri...n

Are eu having a larf? - craig-pd130

The operative phrase there is "UK Government officials have said."

It's the new 'Project Fear', this time being used by Leave supporters.

Are eu having a larf? - Terry W

But will UK customs allow continental drivers to bring their salami and cheese baguettes in - or insist Mothers Pride and Hovis are the only permitted bread products allowed through customs?

All quite daft but thats what folks apparently voted for!

Are eu having a larf? - Ethan Edwards

No we assumed we were dealing with reasonable people. Big mistake on our part. If we had known how our bestest chums the EU would treat our reasonable requests then we'd have Brexited many years ago..

Didn't intend this to be a remain/leave thread. Please don't let it descend into that ugly quagmire.

I remember being annoyed many years ago when transiting through JFK airport on the way to Disneyland with family, that US customs insisted on confiscating all our sandwiches. I'm convinced they were simply taken from us and eaten for their lunch.

Are eu having a larf? - Andrew-T

I don't believe many of those who supported Leave gave the matter more than 10 minutes thought. Some voted to stem the flow of immigrants, others just prefer an island mentality. The continent is only any use for sunny holidays.

Let's hope that when the chickens come home to roost some of them at least think of apologising.

Can Avant please lock this thread, I intended it to be a discussion on alledged cross border control of sandwiches, and whether its likely, not start yet another remainer against leave insult fest.

Wish I never started the thread now.

Are eu having a larf? - gkb40

I intended it to be a discussion on alledged cross border control of sandwiches, and whether its likely, not start yet another remainer against leave insult fest.

With hindsight it would have probably been better to make your intentions clearer in your initial post.

As far as cross-border sandwich issues are concerned, this could be one of many unintended consequences of the end of the transition period.

Are eu having a larf? - daveyjp

I genuinely believe it would be better if newspapers went back to just reporting news, not ifs, buts and maybe stories.

If there is no deal the UK becomes a third Country and we will be dealt with just as all the other third cpuntries are. if the EU customs regulations restrict import of foodstuffs from third Countries to the EU that will affect us.

The EU border force already exists as all data is shared.

EU Army, that's decades off and whilst all Countries have vetos soemthing which can be taken off the table at every meeting.

Edited by daveyjp on 19/12/2020 at 09:03

Are eu having a larf? - focussed

I don't believe many of those who supported Leave gave the matter more than 10 minutes thought. Some voted to stem the flow of immigrants, others just prefer an island mentality. The continent is only any use for sunny holidays.

Let's hope that when the chickens come home to roost some of them at least think of apologising.

Remind us all please that the UK existed quite well before getting involved with what was then a trading "club" which then morphed into a protection racket, and is now in the early stages of transforming itself into some sort of federal superstate.

Allegations of tinfoil hat mentality not accepted because of:-

Frontex is the new EU border force - recruiting now.

frontex.europa.eu/about-frontex/careers/frontex-bo.../

( Is this to stop people getting in - or to stop the likes of me getting out if I want to?)

And the proposed EU army.

www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2015-007...l

Edited by focussed on 18/12/2020 at 23:59

Are eu having a larf? - Andrew-T

<< Remind us all please that the UK existed quite well before getting involved with what was then a trading "club" >>

Existed, yes, but 40 years ago the signs were that our existence needed some help. Global circumstances have changed a lot since then, and I believe that on balance EU membership has made life better than it might have been. Can't prove it of course, and membership will always have snags, which for some people become an irritant and they want out.

Are eu having a larf? - Terry W

The UK joined the EU in 1973 - over half a lifetime ago.

In the 1970s the UK was rapidly becoming an economic disaster area - poor productivity, miners strikes, garbage in the streets, three day weeks, inefficient etc etc. We pleaded and joined the EU.

It is wholly a speculation whether the improvements in our lot since then wold have happened anyway, or whether EU membership was the stimulus needed.

But the UK and the world that existed 40-50 years ago is almost completely gone. Back then the internet didn't exist, China was third world, BBC and ITV were the only TV, oil crisis, etc.

We can't go back 40 years in time any more than a 70 year old can once again be 30. It's just rose tinted spectacles.

Are eu having a larf? - focussed

It's not a case of rose tinted spectacles - I was making the point that the UK does not necessarily need to belong to the EU now, as it didn't before it joined.

Are eu having a larf? - Bromptonaut

It's not a case of rose tinted spectacles - I was making the point that the UK does not necessarily need to belong to the EU now, as it didn't before it joined.

But conditions then were, as pointed out, very different to now. Membership was a paradigm around within which much else was organised and structured; the more so with the single market. Not just our trading relationships and supply chains but the foundations of the NI peace process assumed UK and Ireland were both in. Schrodinger's Border; there or not there according to persuasion.

Even if one believed being 'out' was better there was a hell of an opportunity cost in the resources needed to enable Brexit.

Are eu having a larf? - John F

<< Remind us all please that the UK existed quite well before getting involved with what was then a trading "club" >>

Existed, yes, but 40 years ago the signs were that our existence needed some help. Global circumstances have changed a lot since then, and I believe that on balance EU membership has made life better than it might have been.

So do I. Back in the 1970s the disUK was a basket case. The first thing I did on qualifying was to take an exam enabling me to work in the USA. I even went to the South African embassy re possible immigration. I fear we will regress to those circumstances. Life is already more of a struggle than usual for the underqualified masses - not good for future civil obedience.

Are eu having a larf? - Manatee

The superstate concept makes a lot of sense for much of Europe. The stable, mainland countries anyway. I don't think Britain was ready for that in 2016, but by comparison with the emerging disaster it's beginning to look a much less unattractive option now, to me anyway.

Are eu having a larf? - Avant

Brum, the OP, has asked me to close the thread.

I'm happy to, since although it started with a connection to motoring, it doesn't seem to any more.