What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes 208 Campervan 1977 James Cook conversion - 3 years 2 months and it's still not repaired - Bob Coates

Hi everybody I would like some advice. I bought my campervan in 2014 for £3500 and spent about the same amount over the next 2 years upgrading and replacing bits and pieces.

We spent 18 months touring europe in it and were excited as it approached it's 40 birthday.

We MOT'd it in 2017 and it flew through only failing on the handbrake and a bulb.

As a birthday treat we decided to treat "Jimmy" to a birthday present and upgrade to a 5 speed box and a diesel engine, I found a mechanic in Blackpool and booked it in.

Soon after the news on diesels began to look gloomy so I instructed the mechanic to either put in a replacement petrol engine or upgrade our old one.

Since then I have had nothing but excuses from the mechanic and I am at my wits end.

It has now spent 38 months in his garage and it is still not finished.

His initial estimate was 6 weeks to 3 months so I didnt drain down the water tank or put it on blocks as the timeframe was so short.

What options do I have?

Thanks in advance.

Mercedes 208 Campervan 1977 James Cook conversion - 3 years 2 months and it's still not repaired - galileo

The original estimate of 6 weeks to 3 months would have rung warning bells with me.

I have taken engines and gearboxes out on 7 different cars and this never took more than one day, in my own domestic garage or that of a friend. Another day to re-install was enough, sourcing parts should not have taken more than a couple of weeks.

How much were you quoted for a new engine, new gearbox and labour for fitting?

Was it said that other modifications were necessary for installation?

Was the original engine worn out, or suitable for re-conditioning?

Whatever the answers, 38 months is a completely ridiculous length of time, have you actually seen the vehicle recently, what has actually been done to it (if anything).?

This 'mechanic' seems incompetent at least, if it is intact take it away and find a capable business to do the work.

Mercedes 208 Campervan 1977 James Cook conversion - 3 years 2 months and it's still not repaired - Galaxy

He clearly has no intention whatsoever of doing the work.

You need to remove your vehicle and take it to another garage.

Mercedes 208 Campervan 1977 James Cook conversion - 3 years 2 months and it's still not repaired - Will deBeast

You say that it is in his garage. Have you actually seen it there?

If not, it may have been sold on/scrapped?

Either accept that it has gone, or go and reclaim it.