What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Grease_monkey

A week ago I brought myself a Hyundai i30 as a second car. The car has got full Hyundai service history but is now out of Hyundai's 5 year warranty. The car had its last service with Hyundai in July which was it's fifth service. The car wasn't purchased from Hyundai but Evans Halshaw.

So i've got a bit of a dilemma, I know its 6 year service isn't for months yet but is there any advantage now the car is out of Hyundai's warranty to keep getting serviced by them and they inflated servicing cost or do I now entrust the maintenance of the car to a local family owned business which has got a good reputation

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - RT

By the time it gets to 6 years old, any goodwill outside warranty will have evaporated so no value in a Hyundai stamp - but - their fixed price servicing for older cars is competitive - if you've a local business you trust, use them.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - badbusdriver

I would use the local Indy. Don’t see any benefit to keeping on using a Hyundai dealer once the warranty has expired.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Andrew-T

I would use the local Indy. Don’t see any benefit to keeping on using a Hyundai dealer once the warranty has expired.

Except that a Hyundai dealer may be more familiar with those cars, and perhaps better diagnostically. The most significant factor may be whether the choice is between equally good and/or trustworthy garages. For servicing pure and simple, price and familiarity may be the main points.

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/12/2020 at 12:40

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Sprice

Depending on what it will need (oil filter, air filter etc), ask your local garage if they are happy for you to supply the required OEM parts (no need to get from Hyundai, e.g. my Civic OEM oil filter is manufactured by Purflux, which is half the cost of the "Honda" branded equivalent).

Edited by Sprice on 05/12/2020 at 12:13

Except that a Hyundai dealer may be more familiar with those cars, and perhaps better diagnostically. The most significant factor may be whether the choice is between equally good and/or trustworthy garages. For servicing pure and simple, price and familiarity may be the main points.

There is nothing particularly complex about a 5 year old i30. Unless it is a diesel its probably not even got a turbo. Each to their own and all, there is no way I'd be paying main dealer servicing prices on an i30 (outwith warranty). Unless the indy in question are particularly backwards, they aren't going to have any problems servicing and maintaining an i30.

As for familiarity, the OP has only owned the car a week so that isn't a factor re the Hyundai dealer. In fact, as the OP didn't buy it from a Hyundai dealer, he's quite possibly never set foot in the place.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Theophilus

Main agents would like you to believe that when you come to sell, the price you will be offered will be higher if the service book has their stamps rather than those of an independent ... in my experience with older cars this isn't true, so I wouldn't factor this into any decision.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - _

My local Kia dealer did a service for a 6 year old Kia venga 1.4 for £99.

Ask your nearest dealer.

There is nothing particularly complex about a 5 year old i30. Unless it is a diesel its probably not even got a turbo. Each to their own and all, there is no way I'd be paying main dealer servicing prices on an i30 (outwith warranty). Unless the indy in question are particularly backwards, they aren't going to have any problems servicing and maintaining an i30.

As for familiarity, the OP has only owned the car a week so that isn't a factor re the Hyundai dealer. In fact, as the OP didn't buy it from a Hyundai dealer, he's quite possibly never set foot in the place.

Hyundai "Essential Servicing" is £99/£169/£229 depending on service - given the oil specification, independents have no real scope to undercut that.

Hyundai "Essential Servicing" is £99/£169/£229 depending on service - given the oil specification, independents have no real scope to undercut that.

Well clearly if the main dealer is cheaper (assuming tit isn't too far away) use them. But I was going by the OP's comment;

is there any advantage now the car is out of Hyundai's warranty to keep getting serviced by them and they inflated servicing cost or do I now entrust the maintenance of the car to a local family owned business which has got a good reputation

and assuming because of this, the indy was going to be cheaper.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - retgwte

I generally use Halfords to service cars outside of warranty, if I dont do it myself (rare these days)

Pretty consistent up and down the country in different places

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Trilogy.

A friend with a Seat Leon always had it serviced out of warranty by the supplying dealer. Anything else was done by an independent garage.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Grease_monkey

Thanks all for the replies but special thanks to RT for making me aware of the Essential Servicing Hyundai do for cars outside of the warranty. Thanks to the essentials servicing my car will be staying in the Hyundai network, the prices they've quoted are more competitive than indie garage. My car is due a full service next and for £229 with what's included is very competitive.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - Doc

Under EU Block Exemption legislation, 330/2010 (1st June 2013) a manufacturer cannot force a buyer to have their car serviced by their official dealership network, and cannot refuse to honour a car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. However, a manufacturer does have the right to set a servicing schedule which must be adhered to.

As a car owner, you have the right to take your car to any licenced garage or mechanic for servicing, but you must ensure that the servicing is carried out exactly as per the manufacturer’s servicing schedule. This means servicing must be undertaken on time and must use any genuine parts or lubricants specified by the manufacturer.

Block exemption will remain. Under section 3 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, “direct EU legislation” including most regulations, will form part of UK domestic law.

Under EU Block Exemption legislation, 330/2010 (1st June 2013) a manufacturer cannot force a buyer to have their car serviced by their official dealership network, and cannot refuse to honour a car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. However, a manufacturer does have the right to set a servicing schedule which must be adhered to.

As a car owner, you have the right to take your car to any licenced garage or mechanic for servicing, but you must ensure that the servicing is carried out exactly as per the manufacturer’s servicing schedule. This means servicing must be undertaken on time and must use any genuine parts or lubricants specified by the manufacturer.

Block exemption will remain. Under section 3 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, “direct EU legislation” including most regulations, will form part of UK domestic law.

The OP's car is out of warranty.

The problem with Block Exemption is that most manufacturer's service schedule includes diagnostic analysis using proprietary software, which independent workshops don't usually have.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing outside warranty - Garage vs dealer - expat

I think that the 6 year service for an i30 petrol includes a cam belt change. That could be pricey and you might want to get quotes before making a decision on where to go.