What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - focussed

Inevitably, it's now being discussed.

The Times today - front page headline

"Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for using Britain’s roads amid concerns over a £40 billion tax shortfall created by the switch to electric cars.

A Treasury paper on a new national road pricing scheme has been presented to the chancellor. The government will announce this week that a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, which forms part of the prime minister’s ten-point plan on climate change, will be brought forward to 2030"

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - nellyjak

"Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for using Britain’s roads amid concerns over a £40 billion tax shortfall created by the switch to electric cars.

A Treasury paper on a new national road pricing scheme has been presented to the chancellor. The government will announce this week that a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, which forms part of the prime minister’s ten-point plan on climate change, will be brought forward to 2030"

...and inevitably I'm sure it will be introduced.!.....as always, the motorist will be squeezed until the pips squeak.

Thank goodness I drive fewer miles these days and I can sadly see, at 74, an end to my driving days altogether. (ie probably 10 years max IF I'm lucky)

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - _

So, will we have VED plus charge per mile?

Locally, I can get the bus.. Free, as i have a bus pass but the convenience of the car is still hard to beat.

My mileage has been decreasing for the past five years, and a lot less since lockdown.

The big question is how is the system going to be implemented?

One little note to think about. If i am on my own, for example travelling to londo it's easy to go by train.. ie dentist thursday. If it was saturday, swmbo would come to visit her friend.

The more people in the car, the cheaper it gets...

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Andrew-T

The more people in the car, the cheaper it gets...

How? You mean the choice gets much easier .... :-)

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Engineer Andy

So much for it all saving the planet. It's all about money and control, in my view.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Bromptonaut

However much one argues in the margins about waste and expenditure one disagrees with the fact is the Exchequer needs money.

Raising fuel duty is political suicide and a crude tool so far as controlling emissions is concerned. VED likewise.

The technology for road charging is now easy and cheap to implement, at least in new cars and IIRC it's already in place in some small countries/City States.

Inevitable I think.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - madf

EVs are easy. Internet connected? Yes.

Charge and pay on the go..

And expect huge jams on roads avoiding charges

So much for it all saving the planet. It's all about money and control, in my view.

And with Boris's floozy in charge of ecomentalist policy it'll only get worse......!

<< So much for it all saving the planet. It's all about money and control, in my view. >>

Oh dear. Nothing makes people grumble more than a threat to their wallet. As Bromp says, sooner or later the money-tree chickens must come to roost, and it will be unavoidably painful, more for some than others, of course.

But 'control' - part of the problem is that there is very little just now, and what control there is is mostly heading in the wrong direction.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Zippy123
One can just imagine the divorce cases when the bill from road charging shows a trip to an unknown house at an odd hour.

Or the newspaper headlines when a member of the government is questioned on why their bill shows them going to an unauthorised political events or gets questioned on why they were meeting colleagues to at 3am to plan who the next stalking horse will be.
n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Terry W

Current policy is to encourage car owners to go electric (rightly or wrongly). Hence subsidies on EV purchases, lower RFL and no taxation of "fuel" costs.

Most taxation goes into a central "pot" from which public services are paid. Any reduction in income from ICE needs to be covered by either lower public spending or taxation increases elsewhere. Covid costs have made affordability matters much more acute!

It is inevitable that EV subsidies will be phased out - likely when the transition to EVs is substantially unstoppable. My personal guess is that when new EV sales account for 20-30% of the new car market the losses to the Treasury will become much more apparent and alternative taxation regimes will be required.

Road charging, taxing recharging, or fixed rate RFL are all possible - but fairly flexing the charge with usage seems best. Taxing electrical consumption for charging EVs is open to abuse - differentiating between domestic and EV, PV home generation etc. So it leaves only road charging.

The only real question is when, and will costs per mile be applied to all roads, some roads, flexed by time of day etc. The sooner the principles are agreed the sooner Rishi can mandate the installation in all new EVs.

The only real question is when, and will costs per mile be applied to all roads, some roads, flexed by time of day etc. The sooner the principles are agreed the sooner Rishi can mandate the installation in all new EVs.

Making all roads chargeable would be a huge expense.. Hundreds or single lane country roads will never be viable.

City entry/exit/motorways/town entry/exit. Ferries etc Airports - all classic targets..

I am glad I have my own heli pad :-)

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - alan1302

Money has to come into it no matter what - so that's not a surprise. What sort of control does it give?

"What sort of control does it give?"

As any sort of road charging scheme is going to be designed to charge a vehicle owner by location and time of day the implications for personal liberty of knowing where every vehicle is at any time are mind boggling.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Bolt

As any sort of road charging scheme is going to be designed to charge a vehicle owner by location and time of day the implications for personal liberty of knowing where every vehicle is at any time are mind boggling.

So whats the difference between knowing where a car is and knowing where you are if you carry a smart phone, they are both tracked and if your in the car both are?

So what are you saying? It's ok for whatever company the uk government uses for any future scheme to track your car 24/7? For sure they will contract it out to the lowest bidder. If you don't want to be tracked by your phone - turn it off!

So what are you saying? It's ok for whatever company the uk government uses for any future scheme to track your car 24/7? For sure they will contract it out to the lowest bidder. If you don't want to be tracked by your phone - turn it off!

I`m not saying anything, only assuming that if they want to track you they can and probably do, personally I`m not bothered, but by then I suspect cars will be tracked whether you like it or not, you might not know it -but you probably will be if 5G has anything to do it and built in Wi Fi as most cars will have in future

This is the way the world is going..

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - sammy1

The present system VED on emissions is unfair to low mileage users. You can be paying upwards of £300 or £500 on newer cars over £40k and only be driving less than 5K miles. At least if you do high miles you are using a lot of fuel and the duty and VAT on this is pro rata to the mileage. Currently with EVs the prices they are paying in purchase, VED and electric is being subsidised by the rest of us which is grossly unfair. How road charging will work I don't know but it is worrying that big brother will know your every movement just like tracking your mobile. Mon Ami Poirot will be redundant! The million or so who drive illegally wont be paying road charges, at least now they cannot escape paying for gas. A fair system of any road taxation must be put in for the not so well off. currently costs for EVs is heavily weighted to the better off

If the police wanted to catch illegal road users they could do so very easily even now - ANPR, stop all cars with no tax, MoT, insurance.

They clearly don't think it a policing priority - and until they do those who drive illegally will continue to do so with impunity. The only people who obey the law in this country are those who can afford to do so, those who can't just get trivial or non-enforceable punishments.

The big brother concern is understandable . Right now there would be so much data generated that the authorities would find it impossible to do much bar pursue major issues.

But we expect the use of the data to be for acceptable purposes supported by the general public. And it is conceivable in the future that different sets of data could be linked - eg: smart phone + car + pubs + credit card visited = drunk driving???

Any legislation to permit the serious, and deny the data for the minor would be very difficult to draft.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - RT

The present system VED on emissions is unfair to low mileage users. You can be paying upwards of £300 or £500 on newer cars over £40k and only be driving less than 5K miles. At least if you do high miles you are using a lot of fuel and the duty and VAT on this is pro rata to the mileage. Currently with EVs the prices they are paying in purchase, VED and electric is being subsidised by the rest of us which is grossly unfair. How road charging will work I don't know but it is worrying that big brother will know your every movement just like tracking your mobile. Mon Ami Poirot will be redundant! The million or so who drive illegally wont be paying road charges, at least now they cannot escape paying for gas. A fair system of any road taxation must be put in for the not so well off. currently costs for EVs is heavily weighted to the better off

The present system is VED plus fuel duty - an annual fee plus another fee based on usage and emissions - sounds very fair to me - the extra tax on cars over £40k is a luxury tax, plain and simple, again I've no issues with that.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - pd

The present system is VED plus fuel duty - an annual fee plus another fee based on usage and emissions - sounds very fair to me - the extra tax on cars over £40k is a luxury tax, plain and simple, again I've no issues with that.

Yeah but that model doesn't work so well on the revenue front by the time you get to 80% of cars not running on taxable fuels......

Yeah but that model doesn't work so well on the revenue front by the time you get to 80% of cars not running on taxable fuels......

It'll be road-charging for EVs and retain VED+Fuel Duty for ICs

They only know where the car is - not where you are...you might not be in the car. Someone else could be driving. And you would expect that there will be rules in place so the information can't be used for anything else except for road charging.......and before anyone else says that could be misused then so could your phone without your knowledge.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - pd

The problem is that fuel duties (Duty and VAT) raises a lot of tax money. By 2040 if the Government sticks to its 2030 commitment there won't be very much petrol or diesel being sold compared to now. So tax take goes.

They're looking for a way to replace that, simple as that. Road pricing is obviously going to be a strong candidate.

EV cars should pay A fixed VED to be on the road after all they are taking up space and wearing out tarmac same as the rest. As to them being emission free well they are manufactured so there's some CO2 for starters same as ICE and the electric generated at the power station is not pollution free either!

The £40k luxury tax is fine for a one off, but for 5years? After 3 a lot of these cars are down to £20k or less with another 2years of penalty still to go. Not much of an incentive to buy just out of warranty and crippling VED.

and the electric generated at the power station is not pollution free either!

Depends on how it is generated! LOL

The problem is that fuel duties (Duty and VAT) raises a lot of tax money. By 2040 if the Government sticks to its 2030 commitment there won't be very much petrol or diesel being sold compared to now. So tax take goes.

They're looking for a way to replace that, simple as that. Road pricing is obviously going to be a strong candidate.

Nothing to stop them carrying on with VED, just add whatever tax they want on top, makes life easier and can`t be anymore expensive than road pricing, unless I`m missing something?

Approx 85% of the £40bn per annum road taxation is from duties on fuel and associated VAT - therefore effectively based on usage.

The Chancellor could choose to radically change the balance and massively increase VED - but I think this would be very unlikely.

So road charging seems the likely outcome!

...and before anyone else says that could be misused then so could your phone without your knowledge.

Not me because I don't have to live my life shackled to my phone.

I use it as a convenience not a necessity, it only gets switched on when I need it.

...and before anyone else says that could be misused then so could your phone without your knowledge.

Not me because I don't have to live my life shackled to my phone.

I use it as a convenience not a necessity, it only gets switched on when I need it.

Having it turned on all the time does not mean you all of a sudden become shackled to it. I leave my phone on all the time but only use it when I want it or when an important message comes through.

So mine is a convenience as well.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Avant

Road pricing comes up every few years as an idea from a minister who thinks it's a new concept. Each time it gets quietly dropped as nobody can find an infrastructure that works efficiently enough nationwide to raise more money than it costs to administer.

Their only hope is to confine it to specific roads, motorways perhaps, as do other European countries. I presume that tolls work there, although I've never seen any financial results.

Road pricing comes up every few years as an idea from a minister who thinks it's a new concept. Each time it gets quietly dropped as nobody can find an infrastructure that works efficiently enough nationwide to raise more money than it costs to administer.

Their only hope is to confine it to specific roads, motorways perhaps, as do other European countries. I presume that tolls work there, although I've never seen any financial results.

I think they now realise they HAVE to make it work otherwise EVs will get a cheap ride forever.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - mss1tw

I think they now realise they HAVE to make it work otherwise EVs will get a cheap ride forever.

They could just charge VED on electric cars. It's not written in stone.

Less opportunities for troughing that way though

They could just charge VED on electric cars. It's not written in stone.

Less opportunities for troughing that way though

It's the loss of fuel duty from EVs that will hit Treasury income more than VED.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Manatee

The big drawback with road pricing is that it is horribly regressive. Pitch it at a level that is going to be noticeable to the well off, and it will take a big chunk of a low-paid household's disposable income. As a method of raising large sums material to the financial hole, it will be hard on the median earner and disastrous for low earners.

The problem for any government now is raising tax from the people who have the most, who find it easiest to avoid. The extra problem with this colour of government is that they don't want to.

Another problem is that the rich are getting rapidly richer, not only because their incomes have grown but because they hoard money - wealth which in truth is created by society as a whole, is taken out of circulation.

I have never understood why socialism is such a dirty word, and yet we love the NHS - the biggest socialist idea we have ever implemented or probably ever will.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - _

The problem for any government now is raising tax from the people who have the most, who find it easiest to avoid. The extra problem with this colour of government is that they don't want to.

Answer, Same all over the world, so it is the next section dowmwards... "The well off" who will be hit as well as the "working class" and the lower echelons of society.

Another problem is that the rich are getting rapidly richer, not only because their incomes have grown but because they hoard money - wealth which in truth is created by society as a whole, is taken out of circulation.

Answer. Through hard work, (damn hard work at times) a lot of initiative and not SPENDING like an idiot on fripperies I am "comfortable" and happy to pay reasonable taxes and contributions to society.

I have never understood why socialism is such a dirty word, and yet we love the NHS - the biggest socialist idea we have ever implemented or probably ever will.

Answer// The NHS is brilliant, except where it isn't. and I cannot defend the waste there is, mismanagement and sheer bullying of staff that goes on.

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/11/2020 at 20:10

Answer// The NHS is brilliant, except where it isn't. and I cannot defend the waste there is, mismanagement and sheer bullying of staff that goes on.

Yes it can be brilliant but is failing a hell of a lot of people in these times and not much sign of things getting any better for months. Strange we have not heard of any moans of people with private healthcare. Is there becoming a case for opting out of the NHS much the same as pensions or will this be where we will end up like the US

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - concrete

Like ORB I am happy to pay my fair share to keep our country to a high standard for everyone. The problem is no government has been able to achieve this. Road pricing per mile is a simple and effective way to collect revenue. But knowing how greedy governments are they will want VED, Fuel Duty and price per mile. Unacceptable. No VED, fuel at market prices without the duty or VAT on the duty then road pricing has a future. I am willing to pay for my journeys as I access the road system instead of several taxes and levies.

The track record of any government is very poor indeed when it comes to implementing anything new or radical. Look at the Pole Tax. In theory a simple matter of sharing the Rates burden among households. What happened? An almighty foul up by trying to vastly increase the tax take at same time. They do think we are fools but we do have the ultimate sanction at election time. I think we would all be surprised by how little of each pound we have, we get to keep free and clear, but as long as we seem to have enough most are happy. All the government need to do is think it through and carefully weigh the balance between perceived value and being fleeced. Keeps us simple folk happy.

Cheers Concrete

The goals - is taxing motoring a way to:

• raise money - helps the Treasury to balance total tax take with public expenditure
  • change behaviours to meet other policy goals

If the former, the government could simply raise the £40bn it currently takes from motorists through income tax increases, VAT increases etc etc.

If they want to modify behaviours (eg: limit car use), then a collection mechanism is needed. I suspect modifying behaviours will be a significant influence on policy.

The government will be aware that any changes need to be perceived as equitable. Equitable does not mean universal support, merely that it generally does not advantage or disadvantage particular groups.

Recovering £40bn of vehicle taxes by a fixed VED on ~40m cars is an average of £1000 per car.. Only those with high mileages in large cars would be happy - most would not.

Flexing VED (say £6000 for large cars, £500pa for small) would encourage people to buy smaller cars but not change they way they are used.

Road pricing seems to be the only option left. IMHO they need to accept that:

• in rural areas and small towns there is little alternative to private cars
  • limit road charging to motorways + possibly other main roads, city centres
  • flexing charges by time of day would encourage avoidance of peak loads.

The technology already exists - certainly on motorways (France?), and congestion charges in London. So there is no real barrier to implementation - just how and when!

Road pricing seems to be the only option left. IMHO they need to accept that:

• in rural areas and small towns there is little alternative to private cars
  • limit road charging to motorways + possibly other main roads, city centres
  • flexing charges by time of day would encourage avoidance of peak loads

I think you make a lot of sense Terry. Good proposals to base a system on. However this is the UK government we are talking about. Good, sense and other such words don't come to mind when thinking of how they have managed so far. As I said, paying a fair share is what most people are prepared to do. As long as the pricing system does not result in a vast increase in motoring costs. We pay a disproportionate amount as it is for what we do.

Cheers Concrete

As I said, paying a fair share is what most people are prepared to do.

Just so. The problem may be getting everyone's idea of "fair' to be the same.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - fray bentos

The problem has already been solved in Australia, they have introduced a purchase tax on all new electric vehicles. Other countries better watch out!

The problem has already been solved in Australia, they have introduced a purchase tax on all new electric vehicles. Other countries better watch out!

How does that solve the problem? The problem is the revenue from petrol and diesel going down - a one off tax won't be enough to cover that.

How does that solve the problem? The problem is the revenue from petrol and diesel going down - a one off tax won't be enough to cover that.

What about a tax on Electricity used, all they need is a smart meter in line with charger and add tax on the usage, much easier than any other method ie road charging.

What about a tax on Electricity used, all they need is a smart meter in line with charger and add tax on the usage, much easier than any other method ie road charging.

I have a smart meter. It does not work. Another very expensive £12B waste of our money..

And it offers cheaper off peak electricity - IF it works. Ideal for night charging. If that is taxed more to fund EVs, then why use it?

Put VED up by £3k on every EV.. They can pay... Oops that discourages people.. Well tax petrols and diesel £1000 a year.. Political suicide

We are talking £bs spend every year on infrastructure. With 2m new cars a year , an extra £1,000 will only raise £2b a year...

One thing you can depend on: if we rely on the Government to do it, it will be a costly shambles..

<< We are talking £bs spend every year on infrastructure. With 2m new cars a year , an extra £1,000 will only raise £2b a year... One thing you can depend on: if we rely on the Government to do it, it will be a costly shambles.. >>

Another dependable thing is that most road users are unwilling to fork out enough to cover the cost of the infrastructure they want. The money can come from some other form of taxation. Why ? (and where ?)

<< We are talking £bs spend every year on infrastructure. With 2m new cars a year , an extra £1,000 will only raise £2b a year... One thing you can depend on: if we rely on the Government to do it, it will be a costly shambles.. >>

Another dependable thing is that most road users are unwilling to fork out enough to cover the cost of the infrastructure they want. The money can come from some other form of taxation. Why ? (and where ?)

The thing is Andrew is that tax collected through motoring is not spent on the infrastructure, otherwise we would have first world class roads instead of fourth world class roads. No matter what they do they have to at least maintain or increase the tax take from motorists. No matter what you drive there must be a method of working out the cost per mile for that vehicle. A lot fairer than lots of different tax grabs. Although the different taxes involved do confuse the general public enough to hide what we really pay. The cost per mile would expose that. A few shocks in store.

Cheers Concrete

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - primus 1

tax collected through motoring is not spent on the infrastructure, otherwise we would have first world class roads instead of fourth world class roads. No matter what they do they have to at least maintain or increase the tax take from motorists. No matter what you drive there must be a method of working out the cost per mile for that vehicle. A lot fairer than lots of different tax grabs. Although the different taxes involved do confuse the general public enough to hide what we really pay. The cost per mile would expose that. A few shocks in store.

but wasn’t the ved change from 2017 supposed to be spent on the road infrastructure from 2020.?

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - expat

Can you put up a link to this? I live in Australia and haven't heard of it.

Can you put up a link to this? I live in Australia and haven't heard of it.

Unless I read it wrong its been proposed thats all, and now its being opposed according to this

thedriven.io/2020/11/12/south-australias-proposed-...e.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Bromptonaut

Unless I read it wrong its been proposed thats all, and now its being opposed according to this

thedriven.io/2020/11/12/south-australias-proposed-...e.

A somewhat bizarre proposal in one state of the Commonwealth of Australia. It got no further there still less is it a federal thing across all states.

n/a - Road charging - it's on the way? - Avant

From that article:

"A report from accounting giant Ernst & Young released in September found that replacing a petrol or diesel car with an EV delivers a $1,370 benefit to government revenues and an $8,763 net benefit to the economy over a ten-year life span."

If that's true, it's interesting that the Australian equivalent of VAT on the purchase price of the EV and on the electricity used more than compensates for the loss of duty on petrol / diesel. Even in the comma isn't a comma but a decimal point, it's still surprising that there's a benefit to the government at all.