What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres - Retread for the environment? - John F

Replacing tyres is very wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. If HRH the POW resoles his shoes (as I do), for the sake of the environment should we not be doing the same for our tyres? Retreads used to be commonplace - perhaps they still are for trucks. Should there be an incentive, lower vat perhaps, to use re-treads? There should be no reason why they cannot be made safe to use, especially as road speeds are now so low for the average motorist. Perhaps we would see fewer littering the verges.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - 72 dudes

No John, I think we should all be using the part worn variety as sold at hand car washes by our Eastern European friends.

I especially like the kerbed, pock marked alloys that often accompany them.

Plus your retreaded shoes don't have to hold on to 1.5 tonnes of vehicle on a wet road.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Avant

I think the problem with this is that although average speeds might be lower, the capability of cars has increased. They can go faster both in a straight line and round corners, so that the need for a strong tyre is greater.

I'm sure you are a careful driver, John: but retreads would still sell to the minority who aren't careful and who could put others as well as themselves at risk.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Engineer Andy

I think the problem with this is that although average speeds might be lower, the capability of cars has increased. They can go faster both in a straight line and round corners, so that the need for a strong tyre is greater.

I'm sure you are a careful driver, John: but retreads would still sell to the minority who aren't careful and who could put others as well as themselves at risk.

I also have to wonder at the environmental costs between re-treading and buying new tyres:

What is the difference between the two in terms of energy used or raw materials consumed? Used tyres can now be recycled, but what percentage of the tyre is reused and how much resources/energy does it take to do so?

I still wouldn't go for retreads due to the large performance penalty. I believe that at least one motoring magazine (not necessarily a UK one) covered this in a test between comparable retreads and ordinary tyres. Needless to say, the retreads came out very poorly.

What would be interesting is to compare today's retreads with standard summer tyres from, say, 10 years ago. I've wondered the same about all season tyres to summer and winter ones from 5 years ago, as my current set of CC+s appear to perform just as well as the previous summer tyres from Dunlop, which were about 5-6 years old in design.

How far back would we have to go to get a comparable performance level for retreads, at least on cars?

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - mcb100

I'd rather have a quality retread from someone like Colway (disappeared, unfortunately) than a tyre of dubious quality from a manufacturer I've never heard of.

I, along with many others. rallied on them in years gone by, exerting more lateral force on them than anyone will on the road.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - paul 1963

Replacing tyres is very wasteful and environmentally unfriendly.

Your Audi and triumph are hardly environmentally friendly either

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Ian_SW

With the correct manufacturing process, and checks on the tyre carcass being reused, it must be possible so make safe retreaded tyres. A well done retread on a newish but worn out premium brand tyre is probably better than new no-brand Chinese ditchfinders bought at the moment by people who buy tyres entirely on price.

I suspect the real reason we don't see remanufactuered tyres any more is that the work needed to do a good retread is significantly more expensive than the cost of budget tyres.

Edited by SkodaIan on 06/11/2020 at 10:41

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Andrew-T

I suspect the real reason we don't see remanufactured tyres any more is that the work needed to do a good retread is significantly more expensive than the cost of budget tyres.

That is probably the real reason. The environmentally shameful fact is the tiny proportion of a tyre that is 'used' before it has to be ditched. When recycled it must be separated into rubber and steel and/or polymer belting - or whole tyres may be used to hold down farmers' manure mountains or in crash barriers at racing circuits. The rubber may end up on kids' playgrounds or the like. Not sure where the rest goes ?

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - edlithgow

Never bought anything else but remoulds (Centurion IIRC?) if I could help it when I was in the UK, and never had any problem with them, but I gather they are rather out of fashion.

Here in Taiwan I recently bought a set of 5 part-worn Maxxis tyres, and I suppose I'd be doing that if I was still driving (or ever run a vehicle again) in the UK.

In Taiwan they seem to be rather overpriced but they have the potential safety advantage that they have less tread, so are likely to wear out when younger. Since I'm unlikely to voluntarily throw away usable tyres, buying new tyres might be my most dangerous option.

In Taiwan there is still a fairly reliable dry season, so one could reduce waste by running a set of balding "slicks", (which should actually be safer in the dry) for sixth months of the year.

If I can get another set of wheels cheaply I might try it..

Edited by edlithgow on 08/11/2020 at 07:27

It'd be a lot less environmentally friendly building two new cars to replace them....

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - daveyjp

Quite an opportune thread.

New laws restricting age of tyres on some vehicles coming next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54830060

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - madf

I recall in 1993 walking round a factory which bought used tyres , ground off the rubber tread and sold it for making things like soles for shoes.

IIRC the only scrap was the tyre carcase

It was one of the dirtiest and grottiest factories I have ever seen with powdered rubber everywhere. On the floor, the steel joists, the entrance ,in the yard etc.

A scene from Dante's Inferno.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Ethan Edwards

Absolutely not. Daft idea. You have no idea how the previous owner has treated the carcass. Maybe kerbing it etc. Introducing fatigue weakness into the steel belting . Just what you need at 70mph on a motorway. Front wheel blowout I had at 30mph was completely uncontrollable. Scared me witless. Now it was 30plus years ago but I never want that again. Save a few quid or risk a fiery death....no contest is it. Never mind the environment it's safety that's priority here.

Save a few quid or risk a fiery death....no contest is it. Never mind the environment it's safety that's priority here.

= I AM more important than the environment. Not a very responsible attitude, except to oneself, clearly.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - dan86

We used to run factory fit brigstone tyres on our lorries but kept getting kerbing damage due to the nature of the work we do down tight residential streets.

I discovered Bandvulk tyres around 5 years ago they're remoulds but with a extra thick sidewall and to date not one tyre defect duecto the sidewallshowing courds they're specifically remouded for refuse collection vehicles and have also had no issues with any other type Defect with them.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - concrete

I realise the environmental issues here but feel they should be dealt with by tyre manufacturers. Maybe they should be made to take back they worn tyres and either shred then or retread them or whatever is the best way to be responsible.

Given that the only part of the car that contacts the road is the relatively small amount of tyre then safety first comes into play. I have always monitored tyre wear and replaced when necessary with good branded tyres. Too much risk to do anything else.

Cheers Concrete

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - bathtub tom

I used to use re-treads (Kingpins, now believed defunct) for off-road use. Would be very reluctant to use them for any distance on the roads. They were brilliant off-road.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Ethan Edwards

Save a few quid or risk a fiery death....no contest is it. Never mind the environment it's safety that's priority here.

= I AM more important than the environment. Not a very responsible attitude, except to oneself, clearly.

Far far far more important . When the Police or the Queen choose remoulds then ask again. Until then its a firm No.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Engineer Andy

Far far far more important . When the Police or the Queen choose remoulds then ask again. Until then its a firm No.

I wonder if Andrew-T is volunteering to change his car's tyres to retreads next time then?

<< I wonder if Andrew-T is volunteering to change his car's tyres to retreads next time then? >>

I think Andy knows that I was remarking on a dismissive comment about the environment, not advising the use of remould tyres.

I suspect the cost of retreading used tyres to a high standard might give them little price advantage over budget originals - which will be why most remoulds have poor compound and come apart quite easily.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - John F

Replacing tyres is very wasteful and environmentally unfriendly.

Your Audi and triumph are hardly environmentally friendly either

It'd be a lot less environmentally friendly building two new cars to replace them....

Quite so. Their combined age is 55yrs and they do very few miles now.

I’ve just read that it’s illegal to put tyre in landfill, and that many go off to be burned as fuel for kilns in cement manufacturing facilities.
Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Bolt
I’ve just read that it’s illegal to put tyre in landfill, and that many go off to be burned as fuel for kilns in cement manufacturing facilities.

Can even replace cement in paths and roads like they do in Scotland, plenty of other uses as well thats not been mentioned, so they do get reused one way or another

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Mike H

I read good things about Colway remoulds some 15 years ago, when our son had a Mégane that he learnt to drive and passed his test in. The rear tyres needed replacing so I bought a couple of Colway remoulds. First time he used it after that he commented, as an inexperienced driver, that the car felt strange to drive. I took it for a drive to check it out and was horrified how unstable it was. They came straight off. I would never advise the use of remoulds on the road after that experience.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - Bolt

I would never advise the use of remoulds on the road after that experience.

I had remoulds on an Austin 1100 at the rear as I bought it like it, they caused an accident as one tread came apart on a bend and threw the car into a lamp post, when I looked at it the car was a write off, wet weather didn`t help but never advised remoulds after that

Though I gather they are better made now than in the 70s

I thought the customary use for retread tyres was on trucks, and one still sees cast-offs by the side of the road. But trucks are not usually driven in the same way as cars, and usually have few passengers too.

Tyres - Retread for the environment? - dan86

I thought the customary use for retread tyres was on trucks, and one still sees cast-offs by the side of the road. But trucks are not usually driven in the same way as cars, and usually have few passengers too.

Fewer passengers yes but far bigger and far more dangerous.