What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - weegeorge

I worked on Woking railway station. My pet gripe was taxi drivers idling outside while the fumes drifted into my workplace and booking office.

I'm retired now and travelling the country I see this practised all over the land, not only at stations.

Drivers sit warming themselves to the detriment of all and sundry, and if the top ranker moves off with a fare, the rest start their engines with a loud clatter and belch of smoke, to move on and take prime place at the head of the line.

Archaic custom from horse-drawn days!

Ban this bad habit now before winter and the flu season. Noxious emissions hurt everyone, especially those with compromised heart and lungs.

Write to your MP now and help stop this damaging behaviour.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - leaseman

And I thought all Snowflakes were youngsters! I forgot the Final Salary Pension coasters. They are Fighting to make a living weegeorge!

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - alan1302

Drivers sit warming themselves to the detriment of all and sundry, and if the top ranker moves off with a fare, the rest start their engines with a loud clatter and belch of smoke, to move on and take prime place at the head of the line.

Why do they start their engines if they have been sitting their idling? :-)

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Andrew-T

<< Why do they start their engines if they have been sitting there idling? :-) >>

Touché, I think ?

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - gordonbennet

Dreadful behaviour from those working class chaps trying to stop themselves freezing to death in their horseless carriages hoping and praying for (the forseeable and beyond) a rare passenger in need of their service, couldn't they put a donkey jacket on.

Does this also apply to besuited executives who sit in their rather more opulent German machines in MSA car parks with the heater or aircon, sorry climate control, running at full blast, are they allowed due to more important matters of state.

Horse drawn days? presumably as they sat there with Dobbin ticking over if he let one rip they'd light it with a handy swan vesta and warm their frozen mitts.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/10/2020 at 08:45

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Sofa Spud

Maybe a bit less so now but taxi drivers used to be in the habit of leaving their engines running whatever the weather.

Then there are those men (usually several stone overweight) who leave their diesel engines running while they sit in their 4x4 double-cab pickups in supermarket car parks while their equally overweight wives do the weekly shop.

I can understand leaving the engine running when it's cold outside to keep themself warm but some people seem to do this out of habit or because they like the sound and feel of the idling engine.

If you worked at a station, one diesel locomotive waiting in a platform for 5 minutes would cause a lot more fumes than a few taxis idling outside, although I appreciate that most of the trains at Woking would have been electric

Edited by Sofa Spud on 31/10/2020 at 11:25

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - madf

We have a school 100 meters from our house Parents arrive and depart outside our house to deliver and collect their children.

The parents drive a variety of cars - lots of big 4x4s as the winter weather here is snow 24hours per day 6 months of the year and they have to leave their diesel engines running to stop them freezing as the arctic winds sweep down from the Moorland above . Five minutes exposure to the open air and you are frozen alive.

Please petition your MPs to make their lives better by speeding up Global Warming.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - dan86

We have a school 100 meters from our house Parents arrive and depart outside our house to deliver and collect their children.

The parents drive a variety of cars - lots of big 4x4s as the winter weather here is snow 24hours per day 6 months of the year and they have to leave their diesel engines running to stop them freezing as the arctic winds sweep down from the Moorland above . Five minutes exposure to the open air and you are frozen alive.

Please petition your MPs to make their lives better by speeding up Global Warming.

Round my way the local authority has made a lot of the roads outside school pedestrian only for 30 minuets either way of school drop off and pick up time, residents can get out but not back in until the road is opened to motor vehicles again. majority are in favor of it as its means cars aren't driving up and down the road whilst children are going in or coming out of schall and it has had a positive impact on walking to school. It also means the 20 year old transit ice cream van isn't spuewing out toxic diesel emissions outside the school.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Avant

Hopefully diesel taxis will gradually be replaced by hybrids and EVs, so that there will be less of a problem.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Bolt

Hopefully diesel taxis will gradually be replaced by hybrids and EVs, so that there will be less of a problem.

That is happening in my area, many more hybrids around now as Taxi, Hyundai Ioniq seems to be taking off as there are a lot more in Bromley

though as yet they are not closing roads to traffic around Schools yet, but probably wont be long, as the way some parents drive is dangerous to Children not just the exhaust fumes

That is happening in my area, many more hybrids around now as Taxi, Hyundai Ioniq seems to be taking off as there are a lot more in Bromley

though as yet they are not closing roads to traffic around Schools yet, but probably wont be long, as the way some parents drive is dangerous to Children not just the exhaust fumes

bolt you don't live to far from me and like you say more and more hybrids being used as minicabs i had a ride in a Ioniq minicab at the beginning of the year on the way home from a night out i was impressed by it. I seemed just as well put together as a prius.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - paul 1963

Just for the record I live in woking and can assure "weegeorge" that 99% of the taxis outside the station are hybrids.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - _

On the subject of Schools....

Just around the corner is a primary school, together with a pub and a co-op localnstore that has a layby in front.

It is hilarious to see mirrors regularly knocked off where the parents have parked as close as possible both sides of the road and anything bigger than a large suv is going to remove mirrors...

The pub, currently closed for lockdown have closed the gates on the carpark so the road is worse than usual and the parksafe service are having a field day.

Why on earth drive the little darlings less than a mile to school.?

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/11/2020 at 20:07

It's laziness pure and simple, when i do scholl pick up (Ileave far to early for work for drop off) i will always walk apart from a Friday as i have do to drive from school to my parents to pick up the youngest.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Stackman II

They don't have that problem in Fuerteventura. Whether by local ordinance or in an effort to save fuel the drivers switch off their engines when they park in the rank and when the car a the front drives off with a fare they all get out and push their cars a car length forward.

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - badbusdriver

They don't have that problem in Fuerteventura. Whether by local ordinance or in an effort to save fuel the drivers switch off their engines when they park in the rank and when the car a the front drives off with a fare they all get out and push their cars a car length forward.

I guess that would have the added advantage of encouraging smaller taxi's?!

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Andrew-T

It's laziness pure and simple,

Laziness for sure, but not pure and simple. I think quite a few mums reckon their darlings might be abducted or molested in the street - at least in some neighbourhoods.

Near here is a big long-established secondary school beside the A56, which consists of two wide vehicle lanes with a dedicated cycle lane alongside. Needless to say in mid-afternoon that lane is totally unusable for about half an hour because of parked cars. Some probably diesels with the engines running.

It's laziness pure and simple,

Laziness for sure, but not pure and simple. I think quite a few mums reckon their darlings might be abducted or molested in the street - at least in some neighbourhoods.

Near here is a big long-established secondary school beside the A56, which consists of two wide vehicle lanes with a dedicated cycle lane alongside. Needless to say in mid-afternoon that lane is totally unusable for about half an hour because of parked cars. Some probably diesels with the engines running.

Round here, the parking wardens are a regular feature, so that people are aware, but with the pub closed, (the landlay tolerated it as she herself had a child in the school) but currently it is chaos.

In your case tell your local parking people that the cycle lanes are blocked so the little darlings are at risk of being hurt.... It MIGHT get something done?

duplicate post

Edited by _ORB_ on 01/12/2020 at 09:34

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - kiss (keep it simple)

I think some people believe that the engine has to be running to stop the phone from flattening the car battery!

Diesel taxi - Clean air in the workplace - Bolt

bolt you don't live to far from me and like you say more and more hybrids being used as minicabs i had a ride in a Ioniq minicab at the beginning of the year on the way home from a night out i was impressed by it. I seemed just as well put together as a prius.

Got to admit I`m impressed with the design of the car, rear end reminds me of my 2008 Civic, but probably more aerodynamic, they do seem to be getting more popular as Taxis and someone up the road is thinking of getting one

also more Electric black cabs around which to me look hideous due to size, and look too bulky. imo

I do wish SUVs would steer clear of schools as most of the drivers have no clue how to manoeuvre them through small gaps and hold traffic up, pedestrians are weary of them because they are not sure what they are going to do next like other drivers