What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Andrew-T

[ I will be surprised if this topic draws many suggestions ] Water builds up in the rear n/s footwell after heavy rain. My natural assumption was via the door and a failed membrane behind the door-card, but this seems not to be the case. My next guess is entry round the rear lamp cluster, running forward under the carpeting. Anyone got other ideas ?

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - gordonbennet

Check any wiring conduit where it enters the frame, door and tailgate seals, rubber bungs in inner wheel arch or sill loose/split/missing, fuel filler area and overflow (can't recall which side on those), all window bondings, rear wiper spindle seal, roof water drains if any, check front end too because rear floor might be lower...cabin filter.

How annoying just going into winter, going to be an awkward job drying out thoroughly now, is there a bung under the floor you could loosen temporarily to allow any excess water to drain before your find the culprit.

If you lift the carpets and trims at various points you might just find the route water is taking by stains.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/10/2020 at 10:46

Thanks for that, GB. I think some of your ideas can be ruled out, as leaks occur in a static car, so inside the wheel arch seem unlikely. Another idea was accumulation of algae in hidden spots making water wick inside somehow - round the lamp cluster looks a good possibility. I'll check your other suggestions. Lifting carpets is rather a b*gg*r - I once stripped a 205 to replace saturated underfelt, but that was fairly straightforward.

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/10/2020 at 12:13

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Gibbo_Wirral

Search "207 water ingress" on Peugeotforums.com

The 207 is a pretty leaky kind of car, it gets into the ECU and the footwell.

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - daveyjp

We had similar on a first gen Aygo. Leaks through the front doors were a 'feature', sorted by Toyota fitting extra rubber gutters to top of doors.

However after a few years the rear carpet was wet, wheel well full of water. Using a hosepipe I managed to trace it to the seals around the rear lights, both sides. I suspect as the car was built for a price (£6k brand new) the rubber had deteriorated and the seals were no longer sealing properly. I noticed a neighbour with a 10 year old Civic resealing the rear lights a few weeks ago as they were leaking.

We sold the Aygo, but as I still see it 14 years later it was either fixed, or the current owner doesn't mind having a very wet interior!

Check any wiring conduit where it enters the frame, door and tailgate seals, rubber bungs in inner wheel arch or sill loose/split/missing, fuel filler area and overflow (can't recall which side on those), all window bondings, rear wiper spindle seal, roof water drains if any, check front end too because rear floor might be lower...cabin filter.

How annoying just going into winter, going to be an awkward job drying out thoroughly now, is there a bung under the floor you could loosen temporarily to allow any excess water to drain before your find the culprit.

UPDATE - I've made another survey and think I can rule out some possibilities. The spare-wheel well and its surround are bone dry, and I can't find any dampness ahead of the lamp cluster. The fuel filler is on that side, but the drain seems clear; and the wiring entries to the tailgate look intact.

Trims and weatherstrips are undamaged, but in the past the car has suffered occasional gentle bumps (and one front-end collision, repaired) which I wonder may have damaged some of the seals in the bodywork. The 'panoramic' roof has bonded seams like a big windscreen which it is difficult to inspect, but there are no signs of damp in the headlining (I've never seen the point in those roofs, they can't be opened so they are a greenhouse in summer and the reverse in winter).

Gibbo - can't see any useful responses on the forum - have you found any ?

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Bolt

As a matter of interest has it got an aerial on the roof as sometimes the seal leaks, or even possibly if it has roof rails the seals may not be working properly -just a thought but possible.

Bolt - roof aerial is above tailgate opening. I agree that can be a source of leaks, but I think if there was one, water might be in the spare-wheel well, but it isn't. There are roof rails too, which must be another possibility, but they seem tight.

I'm beginning to consider taping off bits on the outside of the car to see if that has any effect.

Edited by Andrew-T on 15/10/2020 at 09:24

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Bolt

Bolt - roof aerial is above tailgate opening. I agree that can be a source of leaks, but I think if there was one, water might be in the spare-wheel well, but it isn't. There are roof rails too, which must be another possibility, but they seem tight.

I'm beginning to consider taping off bits on the outside of the car to see if that has any effect.

Not how tight they are, its if they seal, sometimes they are so tight the seal distorts causing a leak, I assume there are no tell tale leak signs there at all?, sorry if thats already been asked..

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Metropolis.
I am nor familiar with Peugeot, but some cars a wet passenger footwell would indicate water coming in via the HVAC fan intake. Check for drains near the bottom of the windshield, cracks in the windshield cowling if there is one, and also the pollen filter which might filling up with water.
I am nor familiar with Peugeot, but some cars a wet passenger footwell would indicate water coming in via the HVAC fan intake. Check for drains near the bottom of the windshield, cracks in the windshield cowling if there is one, and also the pollen filter which might filling up with water.

Don't think so, this is the rear n/side footwell. Front ones are dry AFAIK, but I shall check.

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Metropolis.
Sorry, misread your post as “near side” !

Have a look at the rear passenger door, check the door seal, and if you can, remove the door trim and make sure the membrane is intact as well as the drain holes in the door.
Have a look at the rear passenger door, check the door seal, and if you can, remove the door trim and make sure the membrane is intact as well as the drain holes in the door.

First (and only) thing I tried so far. The door 'cards' are substantial and I have chickened out of trying to shift them until Haynes arrives, which may help. Instead I added a polythene sheet below the door pocket to divert any influx outwards - at first I thought that was effective, but water still collects. Back to drawing board.

SECOND UPDATE - the leak has been troublesome lately, I guess following some frosty nights which will have caused some freeze/thaw cycles. Water still collecting in the rear nearside footwell.

Today lifted the small trapdoor intended for access to roof-bar mounts and noticed that the headlining to the rear of that has been damp. So that must be the entry point, though both bars feel completely rigid. Not the roof aerial, which is central just forward of the tailgate. I have masked off the joints above the hidden 'gutters' below the roof bars, and am waiting (not very long I think) for some rain to confirm my diagnosis. Those gutters will need drain outlets, which may be full of crud after 12 years outdoors.

Then to my friendly local bodyshop for some rectification work. I don't feel up to DiY that.

Then to my friendly local bodyshop for some rectification work. I don't feel up to DiY that.

Roof-rails off today - no possibility of leaks there as bolts are integral with the bodyshell, nuts fitted externally. Culprit looks like a loom grommet above the tailgate. Further tests follow.

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Steveieb
Good luck with your detective work Andrew but we had more sinister trouble with our 207SW.
The car broke down at the airport and after a recovery the fault was a soaked fuse board which had to be replaced.
When it happened for the second time we found that water was tracking somehow from the washer pump in the wheel arch. Replaced the washer pump and another new fuseboard . No further problems !

Roof-rails off today - no possibility of leaks there as bolts are integral with the bodyshell, nuts fitted externally. Culprit looks like a loom grommet above the tailgate. Further tests follow.

UPDATE - car collected from hospital last Friday. Since then there has been a bit of rain / snow and some light frost. Rear footwell still looking pretty dry, but car had a lot of moisture in it which will take some time to extract. A bit more time will tell.

Oddly, while I was trying to remove some of the puddle, the latch in the adjacent door started misbehaving (which it had done once or twice before). Couldn't get it back working, so made a jury-rig to get to the bodyshop without the door opening on the way. Leak sorted and s/h lock installed, all for a total of £115 + VAT. I'm not grumbling at that.

Pug 207SW 5-door - Rainwater entry - Gibbo_Wirral

On a 308 I owned I heard sloshing in the back, the carpet was slightly damp.

It turned out to be a poor seal on the rear door window and a blocked drain hole at the bottom.

The entire inside of the door was full of water!

On a 308 I owned I heard sloshing in the back, the carpet was slightly damp. It turned out to be a poor seal on the rear door window and a blocked drain hole at the bottom. The entire inside of the door was full of water!

That takes me back - nearly 50 years, when I had a Triumph 1300, which also made sloshing noises when braking. I had to drain one of the sills, which released several pints via a convenient grommet. I assumed the water got in at the top rear of the front wing. The inside of the sill looked to be uncorroded, but I didn't keep the car long enough to suffer any consequences.

UPDATE - car collected from hospital last Friday. Since then there has been a bit of rain / snow and some light frost. Rear footwell still looking pretty dry, but car had a lot of moisture in it which will take some time to extract. A bit more time will tell.

That was a couple of months ago. Diagnosis was clearly correct, as that footwell is now dry (but a bit stained) and the Pingi dehumidifier is still picking up traces of water. SORTED !