What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - _

Manufacturer

Alfa Romeo 77?

Mitsubishi 578?

MG 1,010?

Fiat 1,077?

Mazda 1,128?

?

Dacia 1,180?

Suzuki 1,395?

Honda 1,744?

Just looking at some of the august reg numbers for some of the "slower selling makes"

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/09/2020 at 19:24

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - Trilogy.

Time for PSA to buy Alfa.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - mcb100
PSA are merging with FCA (Alfa is one of their brands) already. The merger of PSA and FCA will be known as Stellantis, incidentally.

Edited by mcb100 on 06/09/2020 at 20:37

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - SLO76
The volumes of regulation coming from the EU and UK governments combined with the drastic reduction in competition thanks to huge mergers like this are forcing prices up and reducing customer choice. For the sake of choice and value these giants should be broken up. Today using small vans for example you have a market utterly dominated by PSA with Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall, Toyota and soon to be Fiat badged versions of the same product built in the same factories.

It won’t be long before the overwhelming bulk of cars and vans sold in the UK will come from just three firms PSA, Renault/Nissan and VAG. A quick look at the list prices of most cars on the market will show the damage being done to customers pockets. In a competitive market superminis should not be costing in excess of £20k, City cars are way to close to £15k for comfort and most small family cars are heading North of £30k. Subaru are about to leave, Mitsubishi are following suit. Most other Japanese firms offer a reduced range in Europe, Toyota for example sells only rebadged Peugeot vans instead of importing their own and even Ford is considering withdrawing from selling cars here to focus on commercial vehicles where they still turn a profit. All of this will harm consumers.

It’ll be great for congestion and my shares in the transport firm I work for will no doubt do well but for car owners it’s a huge negative. Less competition is never good for prices and standards both of customer care and the product itself.

We’ve lost our car shows, you don’t even get brochures now, just finding out a list price involves an online battle to get past monthly figures and demands for all our details so that a salesperson can later pester us. We’ve lost the joy of actually owning rather than renting a car and all the showmanship that came with the motor industry, even tv ads have been tamed by legislation denying them the ability to show a car in any sort of dramatic scene in case we all rush out and do 120 on the way to Spar. It’s tame, it’s over legislated and frankly I find new cars bland, overcomplex and overpriced. I don’t see much improvement to come in a future filled with grotesquely overpriced electric white goods leased rather than sold to us via a never-ending rental.

I’m out of it. I’ll buy used and let other take the big hit but even at that car retail prices have shot up for almost everything be it 15yr old rot box or new hybrid. Many who lack the knowledge to buy good used cars will see themselves priced off the road.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/psa-group-and-...r

Edited by SLO76 on 07/09/2020 at 23:25

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - _

A quick look at the list prices of most cars on the market will show the damage being done to customers pockets. In a competitive market superminis should not be costing in excess of £20k, City cars are way to close to £15k for comfort and most small family cars are heading North of £30k. Subaru are about to leave, Mitsubishi are following suit. Most other Japanese firms offer a reduced range in Europe,

===========================================

I agree, and given my age, 70 next time, I am aiming to make the Sportage my last car purchase.

If we are travelling together off peak, trains to london are £11.70 each way, (newtwork rail card and senior railcard.) Buses free here for me, and I have a mate taxidriver who doesn't pay rent for using my garage and we get free taxis, which i hacen;t used for 6 months..

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - Engineer Andy

A quick look at the list prices of most cars on the market will show the damage being done to customers pockets. In a competitive market superminis should not be costing in excess of £20k, City cars are way to close to £15k for comfort and most small family cars are heading North of £30k. Subaru are about to leave, Mitsubishi are following suit. Most other Japanese firms offer a reduced range in Europe,

===========================================

I agree, and given my age, 70 next time, I am aiming to make the Sportage my last car purchase.

If we are travelling together off peak, trains to london are £11.70 each way, (newtwork rail card and senior railcard.) Buses free here for me, and I have a mate taxidriver who doesn't pay rent for using my garage and we get free taxis, which i hacen;t used for 6 months..

Indeed, and one of the reasons why I'm not now considering replacing my near 15yo Mazda for the time being.

My parents run a 12yo Fiesta (a run-out version) and would probably like to replace it, but theirs cost £6.5k new (end of line discount for a near base model) compared to more than double that for the current one or equivalent after discount.

So many cars now come with so much (mostly unwanted) kit which, alongside changes in emissions regs and the £ depreciating, has lead to new car prices going through the roof. Like me, they also don't want to have to spend a small fortune on constantly repairing and replacing expensive alloy wheels and low profile / unusual size tyres and onboard kit, but want the reliability of an Oriental car. No way are they paying £15k+ for a car that does 3k miles a year.

They too are OAPs and get free bus travel in their area and make reasonable use of it, especially when visiting the hospital for check-ups, etc. When their car does finally give up the ghost, it means they are dependednt on public transport and lifets from friends and family who are able to give them a lift, meaning they'll be far less mobile.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - Andrew-T

<< We’ve lost the joy of actually owning rather than renting a car and all the showmanship that came with the motor industry >>

That is part of the reason why our two cars are 12 and 26 years old. The main reason is that we are both 55 years older than either of them ...

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - madf

All of teh above written by SL076 is true.

BUT

remember it has been the policy of ALL UK Governments to devalue sterling to minimise the impact of perpetually borrowing money to pay for goodies like the welfare state.. rather than taxing us.

In 1969 a new Mini cost less than £1,000 and gold was $35 per ounce or so.

Today c £16,000 for a new Mini and $1920 per ounce. (16 times and 54 times)

and in those days oil was around $5 per barrel vs $40..now.

Plus the UK car market is small in world terms and almost all makers have to convert from LHD to RHD to sell in the UK....

Let's see : which car makers make so much money they will worry about a small difficult market. Many smaller makers will restrict range - and increase prices... and if they cannot make a profit , give up...

And finally... who knows what Brexit deals will we have with japan and the EU?

Businesses HATE uncertainty as they cannot plan.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - misar

August always gets low numbers, especially for brands popular with private buyers, because the second half year registration number starts in September.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - daveyK_UK
A chunk of those August Dacia registrations where Dusters?

They are selling very well on PCP

Edited by daveyK_UK on 06/09/2020 at 22:19

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - Falkirk Bairn

The above compared to Subaru's 34 or was it 43?

Either way Subaru UK have sold under 150 in June, July & August

For me as a Mazda car owner, this is very concerning. They have a very decent (quality, handling and sttyling) range of cars (diesels aside, perhaps) and yet they sell so few cars, especially since their 'divorce' from Ford.

Yet Down Under and in North America, sales have been (lockdown aside - I don't know the figures from the last 6 months) very healthy indeed (2nd for sales to Toyota in Oz), with more Mazdas being sold in Australia than in the UK for some time now and by a decent margin, despite there being a very healthy market for 'utes' there. They sell lots of Mazda 3s as well, mainly because they sell then also with the 2.5L N/A engine.

Over here, in my view they are doing themselves no justice by selling fewer models and a heavily restricted range of engines / trim levels, but most importantly at VERY high list prices with few deals of note. I can get a BMW 2-Series Coupe for just a few Grand (at most) more than a similarly specced Mazda3.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - misar

For me as a Mazda car owner, this is very concerning.

Don't panic! The August figures for 2019 and 2018 were 1509 and 1589 respectively. (www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesf...g)

So down by about 20% this year but all manufacturers are suffering.

Edited by misar on 07/09/2020 at 18:13

It was more the long-term trend I was worried about. They've never recovered from the days of the financial crash in terms of sales in the UK.

I think it's a combination of not particularly peppy engines (especially at the top end), little depth to their range, the effects of overselling their diesels and the reliability issues that came with that and, I'm sad to say, the highly variable and often poor reputation of their dealer network for the post-sales experience.

I was one of the lucky ones to have had a reasonable dealership experience overall. Brand loyalty can be lost very quickly through poor customer service and reliability woes.

If they aren't careful, they could go the same way as Mitsubishi in the UK and EU and essentially pull out. Now that we're out of the EU, they and other makes should be lobbying for more realistic rules than the corporate CO2 ones to be applied in the UK (especially as they aren't 'real world' figures and obviously are then biased to small cars with engines that do better in tests than the real world).

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - madf

I. Now that we're out of the EU, they and other makes should be lobbying for more realistic rules than the corporate CO2 ones to be applied in the UK (especially as they aren't 'real world' figures and obviously are then biased to small cars with engines that do better in tests than the real world).

And which manufacturer in their right minds is going to produce special engines for the small UK market?

And if you want to clean up UK air, it ain't going to happen.

Sales - Aug 2020 registrations - alan1302

It was more the long-term trend I was worried about. They've never recovered from the days of the financial crash in terms of sales in the UK.

I think it's a combination of not particularly peppy engines (especially at the top end), little depth to their range, the effects of overselling their diesels and the reliability issues that came with that and, I'm sad to say, the highly variable and often poor reputation of their dealer network for the post-sales experience.

I was one of the lucky ones to have had a reasonable dealership experience overall. Brand loyalty can be lost very quickly through poor customer service and reliability woes.

If they aren't careful, they could go the same way as Mitsubishi in the UK and EU and essentially pull out. Now that we're out of the EU, they and other makes should be lobbying for more realistic rules than the corporate CO2 ones to be applied in the UK (especially as they aren't 'real world' figures and obviously are then biased to small cars with engines that do better in tests than the real world).

Last year they sold 249,371 cars in Europe - that is the most since 2006 and the 3rd/4th highest since 1990

carsalesbase.com/europe-mazda/

So why so worried?

Mitsubishi is pulling out as they are part of the Renault and Nissan Alliance and so not required in Europe sales wise as Nissan & Renault cover those sales with their own cars as well as the budget market with Dacia.