What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Interim bangernomics - Wee Willie Winkie

I sold my Octavia VRS last week to WBAC (a relatively painless process), in preparation for ordering a lease car through work. Now, for one reason or another, the delivery is likely to be months. I'd originally borrowed a car from a friend but keeping it for months wouldn't be possible, so a stopgap car was needed.

Reading up on here about cheapy cars, I concluded the advice of SLO76, badbusdriver and others was sound and started trawling AT and Facebook marketplace. After viewing a couple of Hyundais and Toyotas that were tatty beyond belief I focused (excuse the pun) on a Ford Focus.

A few hundred pounds later, I am the proud(?) owner of a 2005 Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol (100ps), with 71k on the clock, 5 months MOT and half a tank of fuel. It's a little battle scarred, but mechanically seems fine. New clutch 3 months ago, too. Also, if I'm not mistaken, chain cam so no pesky belt to worry about. A slight issue after a 12 hour shift though - I'd left the sidelights on (used to auto lights, you see) and returned to a flat battery. Ill see over the next few days how the battery is. If needed it's £40 from ECP for a new one.

So, for little more than one month's payment for a lease car, I have a functioning banger. It's quite liberating really - I don't really care about it, if it gets dented then 'meh'!

Interim bangernomics - Trilogy.

You're a wise man. I sometimes drive one, they're a superb car.

Interim bangernomics - nellyjak

So, for little more than one month's payment for a lease car, I have a functioning banger. It's quite liberating really - I don't really care about it, if it gets dented then 'meh'!

This is the "telling" sentence.....and one that many would do well to consider before getting themselves into potentially long term and dubious fiscal pain.

Good man.!!

Interim bangernomics - elekie&a/c doctor
Great purchase. You can’t really go wrong with one of these . Parts are plentiful both new and S/hand . Think you’ll find this is a cam belt engine with long lived change at 10 years or 100k miles , but rarely troublesome.

Are we sure? I looked it up on here and saw the 100ps versions were chain but 115ps were belt. I could always look under the bonnet again I guess.

History wise, it's only documented to 44k (6 years ago), however the oil looks fresh and the filter clean. It's going to get an oil and filter change shortly, anyway.

Interim bangernomics - Engineer Andy
Great purchase. You can’t really go wrong with one of these . Parts are plentiful both new and S/hand . Think you’ll find this is a cam belt engine with long lived change at 10 years or 100k miles , but rarely troublesome.

Hopefully then it was changed in 2015 and should have 5 years (mileage dependent) left on it.

Interim bangernomics - Andrew-T

A slight issue after a 12 hour shift though - I'd left the sidelights on (used to auto lights, you see) and returned to a flat battery. Ill see over the next few days how the battery is. If needed it's £40 from ECP for a new one.

I doubt that running the battery down like that means it's shot, it should be OK after a recharge. If your car has proper history it ought to last as long as you need it. You will need to adjust your daily habits though, not relying on your car to think for you ....

Interim bangernomics - Alby Back
Good for you ! You might find that you keep it a lot longer than you intended. We had a distress purchase Panda years ago that was only meant to fill a gap of a few weeks, that we eventually ended up keeping for 5 years.

We have a car here that has by default, become a bangernomics candidate. My wife's Qashqai which we bought when it was 18 months old is now 12.5 years old. It's a 1.6 petrol manual. We should probably have replaced it years ago, but it's a bit like that older guy in the office that is never off sick, always turns up on time, never complains and just gets his work done quietly and efficiently. Just a pity no one can ever remember his name...
;-)
Interim bangernomics - gordonbennet
a bit like that older guy in the office that is never off sick, always turns up on time, never complains and just gets his work done quietly and efficiently. Just a pity no one can ever remember his name... ;-)

The times they are a changing, well out in the real world where work is done (compared to offices where seat polishing rules :-) this is the case, older chaps (and the fair ladies) who have the attributes you mention are now in high demand and companies with nous are bending over backwards to keep them on long after retirement age with lucrative part time packages plus benefits for those reliable ones wishing to cut their hours down, names of reliable people are well known at higher levels than one might expect.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/09/2020 at 13:43

Interim bangernomics - Andrew-T
We have a car here that has by default, become a bangernomics candidate. My wife's Qashqai which we bought when it was 18 months old is now 12.5 years old. It's a 1.6 petrol manual. We should probably have replaced it years ago, but it's a bit like that older guy in the office that is never off sick, always turns up on time, never complains and just gets his work done quietly and efficiently. Just a pity no one can ever remember his name... ;-)

Very similar to my 2008 Pug 207 diesel, which has been written off and repaired. We only considered getting rid once, when SWMBO's gear-changing shoulder was increasingly painful, and she test-drove an i10 auto. However a successful shoulder replacement made all that unnecessary.

Interim bangernomics - John F

Good choice. Don't worry about the cambelt, their design life is 150,000 miles. The one on our X reg Focus 1.6 is five years older than yours, has done twice your 77,000 and still looked fine when I inspected it a few thousand miles ago. Nothing went wrong until well over 100,000 miles when the fuel pump started to fail and blew its fuse (replacing it with a 'bigger' fuse got us home and then to my indie for replacement, and a coil pack - which again didn't strand us, just mis-fired our way home.

Interim bangernomics - gordonbennet

still looked fine when I inspected it a few thousand miles ago.

Thats the secret though, pull the cover off and inspect the whole belt, especially it it inverts over an idler pulley.

Interim bangernomics - SLO76
No secret that I’m a fan of bangernomics buys like this. Well bought, I hope it serves you well then gives you all your money back at the other end, that’s the big win if you can do it. As for timing belts all of the (Yamaha) 1.6’s are belt driven, it’s the Mk II 1.8 and 2.0 (Mazda) motors that are chain driven. No big worries though as they’re not hard on belts and at this money i wouldn’t touch it.

"No big worries though as they’re not hard on belts and at this money i wouldn’t touch it"

That's my plan to be honest. If it goes then c'est la vie....

In case anyone is interested....

I've put over a thousand miles on the Focus. £80 has been spent on a new remote locking key - I was sick of having to manually unlock the driver's door and put the key in the ignition before opening any other doors without the alarm sounding - and that's it, apart from fuel.

I should probably service it; but I don't intend to. Hopefully I'll only be its owner for another month or so....

In case anyone is interested....

I've put over a thousand miles on the Focus. £80 has been spent on a new remote locking key - I was sick of having to manually unlock the driver's door and put the key in the ignition before opening any other doors without the alarm sounding - and that's it, apart from fuel.

I should probably service it; but I don't intend to. Hopefully I'll only be its owner for another month or so....

Has bangernomics not gripped you? I know millionaires who’ve left behind the awful losses new cars offer and instead run about in cars worth less than a pair of designer shoes. I’ve saved a fortune (pre swmbo) on cars by removing image and loss. Cars are the worst “investment” any of us make. The thought of leaving a massively depreciating but still valuable asset lying at the side of the road while m****s drive, walk and park beside it fills me with horror.

I knew it was too good to be true.

A few days ago I noted the windscreen was steaming up easily. A quick check of the driver's footwell revealed wetness. Oily feeling wetness. A check of the coolant reservoir - less than minimum. A quick Google search revealed a common Focus problem - heater matrix failure. It seems to be a pig of a job and will cost more than the £0 I wish to spend, so...

It needs to last for 3 more weeks as the Tesla is due for delivery on the 23rd of this month (I've been told lockdown should not affect this). I intend to throw in some coolant leak stop stuff, see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll just keep topping the level up with water and hope the thing lasts. Then it'll be on Facebook marketplace for a few hundred quid. No takers? Scrap will pay £185 at the moment....

If it doesn't last, I'll need to hire a car for a couple of weeks. No biggy I suppose.

Interim bangernomics - pd

K-Seal is probably your best bet although if the leak has got really big might be a bit late. Worth a try though.

Heater matrix leak is a common fault with the mk2 focus . However, in more cases than not , it’s the rubber o ring seals on the pipes where they join the bulkhead pipes to the matrix . I’ve successfully used some of the leak seal putty and wrapped it round the joints . I’ve done heater matrix on these , absolute animal of a job .

Are you sure it's coolant? The first thing you would have noticed is the smell. I don't know about the Mk2 but on our Mk 1 if you don't carefully relocate the cover you have to remove to clean the pollen filter, rainwater can get in. Having read about it, that's why I didn't inspect the filter till about 80,000 miles.

Mk 1 and mk2 focus models have completely different heaters . Cabin filter on a mk2 is inside the car . The offending coolant pipes run down the right side of the heater, by your left leg .

Yes, it's definitely coolant.

I've thrown some K Seal in and it seems to have made no difference, other than making the inside stink! I'll have a look to see if I can see any pipes with suspect looking O rings and see if I can use some putty or tape.

At the end of the day, it only has to last for 3 weeks, equating to about 300 miles if I only use it for essentials.

Ho hum!

Interim bangernomics - expat

If the worst comes to the worst you could disconnect the heater hoses and connect them to the block so as to take the heater out of the circuit. That would keep you going although you would be pretty cold at this time of year.

That sounds like a good idea, although it would require technical know how I do not possess!

That sounds like a good idea, although it would require technical know how I do not possess!

Easy and cheap enough for any backstreet mechanic to do I’d imagine. Unlucky it happened on a short term smoker but that’s life for you.

Yep, such is life eh? I'm not upset by it, I just want it to last for the next few weeks.

I've had a scrabble under the dash (not a particularly spacious area) and I can see evidence of leaking from both heater pipes, and one of the plastic 'clamps' is loose - typically the one in the more awkward position. I've ordered some tape and will see if I can bodge It!

one of the plastic 'clamps' is loose - typically the one in the more awkward position. I've ordered some tape and will see if I can bodge It!

Tape unlikely to withstand pressure. If you can't get a jubilee clip round the pipe, try some wire and twist it tight with pliers.

"Tape unlikely to withstand pressure. If you can't get a jubilee clip round the pipe, try some wire and twist it tight with pliers."

Hmm. True. I'll give a jubilee clip a whirl. Thanks.

Interim bangernomics - expat

I've had a scrabble under the dash (not a particularly spacious area) and I can see evidence of leaking from both heater pipes, and one of the plastic 'clamps' is loose - typically the one in the more awkward position. I've ordered some tape and will see if I can bodge It!

The first thing to do is to replace the loose clamp with a jubilee clip and see if that does the job. It is worth a try. You never know your luck. If not try to see if the hose is leaking or is it the heater matrix. If the hose is the problem replace it or get your local back street mechanic to do it. If it is the matrix then look and see where the heater hoses come out of the engine. Disconnect one from the engine and then disconnect the other from the heater and plug the second one in where the first one came out. That is all that is needed to take the heater out of the circuit. If necessary you can cut the hose at the firewall where it goes through to the heater. Just make sure the connections are tight.

Interim bangernomics - galileo

I did that years ago on a hire car that sprang a leak in the heater: simply follow the heater hoses back to the engine, disconnect one end of each and reconnect one hose to both stubs which short-circuits the system.

Interim bangernomics - pd

Anything heater related seems to be a bit of a nightmare on the Mk 2 and any cars based on it (Volvo V50, Mazda etc.)

IIRC a blower unit is 8+ hours to do and, yes, they are not unknown to fail!

Interim bangernomics - sammy1

Best suggestion as above by-pass the heater matrix, I did this once on an Vauxhall viva that split a heater hose on the M5. As SLO suggests try your local independent mechanic for a bit of ingenuity.

Interim bangernomics - Ian D
If you bypass the heater and need some heat in the car and/or need to keep the windscreen clear you can get a dashboard mounted heater for under a tenner, go to flea bay and type in 150w 12v car heater....

A lot of fiddling around yesterday and I have a jubilee clip in situ. Ran up to temperature and I can now have the heater on without the screen steaming up too much. That'll do assuming it lasts for another couple of weeks.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Anyone wanna buy a 2005 Focus? Very good price!

A lot of fiddling around yesterday and I have a jubilee clip in situ. Ran up to temperature and I can now have the heater on without the screen steaming up too much. That'll do assuming it lasts for another couple of weeks.

Well done. Thanks for keeping us posted. Should last indefinitely.

Quick update of my steamy windows...

Over the last few days it has got worse. I think because it's steamy coolant it's more difficult to clear and wiping just seems to smear it.

Anyhow, yesterday morning I put an honest advert of Facebook Marketplace, with plenty of pictures. By 7pm I had a cash deposit with the guy coming back next week to collect it. He seems to be a man who can so isn't worried about the work needed.

Sold for £125 less than I paid for it. Not bad going in my opinion.

Interim bangernomics - Steveieb

FB Marketplace is the place for cars like this. No charges and the buyer can view your profile as a means of a check!

Interim bangernomics - Jetsam1

Reading this and dreaming about finding a 2005 Focus for less that 500 pounds................ My only gripe with living abroad is the price of used cars.

The Focus you paid a few hundred for would be minimum 3 to 4 times that for me..... Sad Face.

Reading this and dreaming about finding a 2005 Focus for less that 500 pounds................ My only gripe with living abroad is the price of used cars.

The Focus you paid a few hundred for would be minimum 3 to 4 times that for me..... Sad Face.

Yeah, but depending on where you are it’ll last 3 to 4 times longer thanks to our car eating climate.
Interim bangernomics - Jetsam1

Hmmm. No salty air and in the middle of a continent........

I feel a little better! Though 3500 pounds for a 2007 Focus 1.6 petrol does get me though. No choice in the matter though.

...and the Focus is gone.

The new car is being delivered tomorrow. I'll give it a few weeks and report on my initial findings of life with an EV.