What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Maltese - barney100

Been watching a detective series on TV about Sicily in the 80's called Maltese the Mafia detective. It's a car spotters's dream if you like old Alfas and Fiats etc. even a Renault 4, used to like them for some strange reason.

Maltese - expat

even a Renault 4, used to like them for some strange reason.

There was a lot to like about the R4. Simple, basic, no frills vehicle. Practical with no fancy styling. I can't think of anything on the market these days that compares with it.

Maltese - catsdad

R4 was my first car, bought for about £80 in 1974. Ran it for a summer and sold it when the brakes packed in. Three forward gears and an ungated reverse where 1st should have been.

It was a poor man’s 2CV. A poor man’s R4 was a pushbike.

Maltese - tourantass
Our first car together was a Peugeot 104 estate we bought for £400, we loved it we went around France loaded up with 3 kids and all the camping gear, complete with a plywood roof box I made that converted into a camping wardrobe..I remember suggesting I should patent it... my wife replied do you think it will dry in time.. Bless her...Oh the memories... Which includes much head scratching when the fan belt broke, trying to work out its crazy route around numerous twists and turns, It was a lovely smooth ride.
Maltese - badbusdriver

Been watching a detective series on TV about Sicily in the 80's called Maltese the Mafia detective. It's a car spotters's dream if you like old Alfas and Fiats etc. even a Renault 4, used to like them for some strange reason.

I did watch this series, can't remember exactly when, but either late last year or early this year. And while the story itself was OK (if not exceptional), i spent a lot of the time 'car spotting', especially any scenes involving a car park!. For anyone thinking of giving it a look, bear in mind it is Italian, so if you can't deal with subtitles it isn't for you!. BTW, it is actually set in the 70's.

Absolutely nothing strange about liking the Renault 4, a truly brilliant car!. I remember years ago reading an article about 'important' cars, of which the 4 was considered one. The section on the 4 ended along these lines: "The 2CV was for tourists, real French farmers drove a Renault 4"!