Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - mcb100
Planning on spending a bit of time T-Cutting and waxing the car, but I know it’ll end up being let down by cloudy headlights. Has anyone used any of the kits to refurb them? I’ve only got an 18V cordless drill if they need power tools, or I’ll have do them manually. Tried toothpaste and T-Cut to very little effect.
Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - daveyjp

Try Actosol metal polish.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - gordonbennet

Yes, Autosol or any other metal polish, such as Peek or if you want to push the boat out White Diamond, T Cut will not cut through the damaged layer.

WD leaves a decent protective finish, but you must apply generous coats of wax polish to the lenses afterwards because you've removed the original coating, and you will probably have to give them a light polish every year from then on as even with wax on the sun will cloud them again gradually.

I've never needed to resort to using wet and dry glasspaper which i see others use.

Course if the clouding is on the inside no amount of polishing will fix it, unless the lenses can be removed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/05/2020 at 17:23

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - badbusdriver

Yes, Autosol or any other metal polish, such as Peek or if you want to push the boat out White Diamond, T Cut will not cut through the damaged layer.

WD leaves a decent protective finish, but you must apply generous coats of wax polish to the lenses afterwards because you've removed the original coating, and you will probably have to give them a light polish every year from then on as even with wax on the sun will cloud them again gradually.

I've never needed to resort to using wet and dry glasspaper which i see others use.

Course if the clouding is on the inside no amount of polishing will fix it, unless the lenses can be removed.

Would that work on plastic headlamp lenses GB?. I'm asking because my brother has a Saab 9-5 which has very cloudy lenses, but they are plastic, not glass.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - gordonbennet

Never needed to polish proper glass lenses BBD (the ones on the old MB are as good as new @ 24 years, yes i meant plastic lenses the blinking awful things.

I know that White Diamond stuff is expensive, but in its defence a small amount goes a long way and it leaves some sort of hard protective sheen which Autosol and Peek don't, the only thing with WD is that if you don't use the bottle for a long time the contents can separate and take some remixing, if you get some its worth putting somewhere it gets seen regularly so you can give the bottle a shake now and again.

Peek cuts well, as does Autosol, both can be bought from various places in 500ml or 1 litre cans, a lot cheaper method of buying than in the small toothpaste sized tubes.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - badbusdriver

Never needed to polish proper glass lenses BBD (the ones on the old MB are as good as new @ 24 years, yes i meant plastic lenses the blinking awful things.

I know that White Diamond stuff is expensive, but in its defence a small amount goes a long way and it leaves some sort of hard protective sheen which Autosol and Peek don't, the only thing with WD is that if you don't use the bottle for a long time the contents can separate and take some remixing, if you get some its worth putting somewhere it gets seen regularly so you can give the bottle a shake now and again.

Peek cuts well, as does Autosol, both can be bought from various places in 500ml or 1 litre cans, a lot cheaper method of buying than in the small toothpaste sized tubes.

Thats grand GB, thanks, i'll pass that on to him!.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - focussed

I can recommend this kit, used it to refurbish a used motor cycle headlamp unit as an alternative to buying new at approx £500 each!

https://www.autoglym.com/headlight-restoration-kit

Thanks everyone. I’ll probably stick to one of the specific kits to do the job, and it’s good to get a recommendation on the Autoglym one.
Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - pd

Depends how bad they are. If they just need a bit of a freshen up then a good MOP with some cutting compound used with a polisher can often do the job.

Alternatively if you have some P1500 handy you could rub them down with that then give them a polish up with come compound followed by a final gloss polish.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - daveyjp

Watching a youtube vid last night there was mention of using DOT 3 brake fluid to clean lights.

A search on youtube shows this does seem to work.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - joegrundy

I've just done the headlights on my d-i-l's car, which were dreadful. I used some Turtle Wax headlight cleaner and sealant (can't remember how much it was) on a polishing cloth. Gave a pretty good result in a few minutes with not too much effort. Seems to have just about the right amount of 'cut' to get the job done. Would recommend it.

Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - RaineMan

Apparently Chips Away Auto Centres now offer this at around £25 - £35per headlamp. Has anybody experience of them. It seems somewhat expensive!

Edited by RaineMan on 17/05/2020 at 14:53

Definitely expensive with four separate lights....
Jaguar S-Type - Headlights - barney100

Toothpaste, the whitening stuff.