What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MOT's after lock down - Lrac

Wondering what will happen when 6 month rule is removed. Will we suddenly have issues trying to get MOT's carried out as back log cars compete with current (at the time) MOT cars.

MOT's after lock down - FP

That is exactly what my trusted indie thinks and, as he is still working as normal, I had the car serviced and MOTd a couple of weeks ago.

MOT's after lock down - Falkirk Bairn

>>MOT's after lock down

It will be like toilet rolls & hairdressers - queues round the block.

MOT's after lock down - nellyjak

I certainly won't be waiting until the expiry of my new/amended MOT date (Nov 4th)...my bus is due an oil/filter change soon so I'll have them done together in the Summer.

MOT's after lock down - gordonbennet

Yes, it makes sense as soon as possible to get the car MOT'd when the garage starts up again and can fit you in, we're in that boat.

I also suggest upping the quality and frequency of servicing, and consider some form of rustproofing...unless one has a guaranteed income the plans people have regarding car replacement might be changing fast when the reality of jobs vanishing by six figure sums comes to pass over the next year, people might be keeping their current vehicles for a long time.

MOT's after lock down - Andrew-T

I think there are still places doing MoT testing. Some ATS sites are open while others have closed. My nearby preferred indie closed at the beginning of April, while the nearest garage was still working but not very busy as far as I could see. I kept my car on its regular schedule rather than use the 6 months' grace.

MOT's after lock down - FoxyJukebox

If -as is likely for many -your car tax date and MOT date coincide--would it not follow that a car with an MOT due and delayed cannot be taxed and thus cannot be driven on the roads anyway-or am I missing something here?

MOT's after lock down - gordonbennet

Local indy we use has re-opened on a skeleton staff scale, Toyota getting MOT'd week on Monday.

MOT's after lock down - thunderbird

If -as is likely for many -your car tax date and MOT date coincide--would it not follow that a car with an MOT due and delayed cannot be taxed and thus cannot be driven on the roads anyway-or am I missing something here?

Have you not been paying attention. From 01 April for 6 months (initially) cars are having their MOT's extended for 6 months but its still the owners/drivers responsibility to ensure the car is roadworthy. You will get prosecuted if the car does not meet standards even with a "free" 6 months.

One of our cars has its MOT due early June, its tax on 01 July. If the local garage is open I will get it done but if not the car will still be taxable since the MOT will be extended to early December, I understand it shows on the systems about a week before the due date.

Regardless of the tax situation, I will get the car MOT'd as soon as I can, don't want to be sorting it on a wet December night just before Christmas (if we are allowed one).

MOT's after lock down - galileo

Local indy we use has re-opened on a skeleton staff scale, Toyota getting MOT'd week on Monday.

My indie had advice from DVSA that his was an essential service and has never closed, quite busy, as are at least half a dozen MOT/service garages within a mile radius.

The big chains may well have furloughed staff to save money, Government providing the 80% wages.

MOT's after lock down - Lrac

Wondering what will happen when 6 month rule is removed. Will we suddenly have issues trying to get MOT's carried out as back log cars compete with current (at the time) MOT cars.

Now booked in next week. Runs out at the end of the month. Indy said most of his customers were choosing not to wait.