What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - bluenun

I am going to change the oil and oil filter.

Last year I used semi synthetic 5W/30 ACEA A1/B1 WSS-M2C913-B

I have 5L of synthetic 5W/30 ACEA A3/B3 WSS-M2C913-B

Is this ok to use?

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - elekie&a/c doctor

Nothing wrong with that . Use it.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - John F

Not all of it. Pour one litre into a spare one litre bottle for top-ups and use the remaining 4 litres to get mid way between min and max mark. It's winter and you don't want lots of cold oil in the engine to delay warm up.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - Andrew-T

It's winter and you don't want lots of cold oil in the engine to delay warm up.

I can't believe taking that 'precaution' will make any perceptible difference to the delay before the heater emits warmth. But each to his own. I prefer my oil to be nearer the top mark.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - gordonbennet

Yes i too am in the keep it reasonably topped up school.

It's also worth checking how the maker wants you to check the oil level in the handbook, on our cars its oil warm after being allowed to settle for 10 mins or so.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - John F

It's winter and you don't want lots of cold oil in the engine to delay warm up.

I can't believe taking that 'precaution' will make any perceptible difference to the delay before the heater emits warmth. But each to his own. I prefer my oil to be nearer the top mark.

I was thinking of the engine's wellbeing as much as my own.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto 2003 - Changing the engine oil and filter. - bathtub tom

Not all of it. Pour one litre into a spare one litre bottle for top-ups and use the remaining 4 litres to get mid way between min and max mark. It's winter and you don't want lots of cold oil in the engine to delay warm up.

Good grief, I find myself agreeing with John F! It's exactly what I do, as manufacturers usually recommend it. The only time I top up to max is in a known oil burner.

IIRC a Japanese car factory worker suggested the same, thus saving half a litre or so for each new car. He was awarded an enormous sum.