What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - S40 Man

Some may remember I recently scrapped my old Mondeo. I was looking for a reasonably priced fairly new car.

We spotted a possible Ford focus 1.0 ecoboost. I know people here don't rate them but my wife has one and it's been great.

She paid £8.8k for it there years ago, it's a 14 plate add had done 46k miles.

The one we saw was also 14 plate but 20k miles. I couldn't believe that a car could only lose £800 over three years. I offered £7300 which they rejected. The sales guy wittered something about any extra such as extended warranty or something else I didn't want or need (simple cash sale). He says he wife l would ask the manager, don't know if he did?

Anyway I now see it is on Auto trader for £7295 (3 weeks later). This is £5 less than I offered.

Were they just being optimistic initially? Very little interest in it?

Seems a bit odd.

Anyway I ended up with a 16 plate 1.6 turbo Astra sri which is a lot faster, has a better interior and isn't much different in economy for £8500. Pretty happy so far.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - nick62

Anyway I ended up with a 16 plate 1.6 turbo Astra sri which is a lot faster, has a better interior and isn't much different in economy for £8500. Pretty happy so far.

I had one of these as a hire car last year in Germany.

Let's just say I'm glad I was on the Autobahn when I gave it some beans. Incredible performance for such a "small" car. Nice to drive too.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - badbusdriver

I know people here don't rate them but my wife has one and it's been great.

I'm not sure that "don't rate them" is accurate, more that they are wary due to the amount of failures. I wouldn't have any problems with getting a new car with the 1.0 ecoboost engine, as long as it was being replaced before the end of the warranty, but i don't think i'd be comfortable parting with my own money for a used one.

No such concerns re the Astra though, regardless of the extra performance. Speaking of which, such is the quest for ever increasing power figures, the Astra 1.6t would be classed as a warm hatch rather than a hot hatch. The equally "small"(?) Mercedes A45 S AMG has more than twice the power.............!

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Falkirk Bairn

A son was trying to replace his 4 year old car with a 1 year old. Same make, different model.

The dealer came up with a price to change, my son countered with another price. The dealer phoned back mentioning he would throw in a service in 12 months, then meet hime halfway etc etc.

He asked me what I thought. I said hang on to your car & he will phone you back mid to late September - Phone call on Friday, within a whisker of my son's offer 3 weeks ago.

Month end / quarter end is nigh upon them - deal done & a holding deposit paid.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Will deBeast

...Were they just being optimistic initially? Very little interest in it?

I don't understand dealers sometimes. I remember going to look at a car which was some distance from home. The dealer was playing hard to get so I got in my car and drove home.

As we were on the motorway, they called me and suddenly wanted to deal. I said I wasn't prepared to drive the 100 miles back to see them again, so they offered to drive it to me. I turned them down and found another one elsewhere.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - bathtub tom

Found a car £2K less than what they had. Same miles and age. They wouldn't budge.

Asked would you drive 50 miles for £2K?

I did.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Will deBeast

Asked would you drive 50 miles for £2K?

I did.

My wife wanted a Yaris. The local dealer had five or six in stock. All about a year old. Windscreen prices not much lower than list price though.

Despite making it clear that we were ready to do a deal, they gave me the runaround. "consulting the manager" etc. During one of the periods we were left alone, I had a good browse of autotrader. Found a dealer 100 miles away with a 3-month old, priced £2k less than the price the local dealer was fixated on.

Walked away and did the deal. As a bonus, it even came with the optional satnav.

The other dealer said they were selling about six a day, and people were typically travelling 50 miles.

Edited by Will deBeast on 24/09/2019 at 08:55

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - DavidGlos

...sounds like very good value for the Astra. Most of the 1.6 turbos on Autotrader are £9.5k+. What mileage does it have on it?
Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - S40 Man

Hello, yes mine is on 27k you are right most others are £9500 for the same model.

I had to travel from Surrey to Wolverhampton (once for test drive add one to pick it up), but saved £1000

My logic it's a car it can move across the country quite easily. As it is only 3 years old it was unlikely to go wrong.

Cars generally in the South East are much more expensive than elsewhere.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - oldroverboy.

Cars generally in the South East are much more expensive than elsewhere.

Indeed,

i went from Colchester to Grimsby for a car.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Andrew-T

<< I went from Colchester to Grimsby for a car. >>

And a few years ago someone drove from Kings Lynn to south Manchester for my daughter's Golf Plus - and that car was a few years old, fairly priced, and the only offer she got

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/09/2019 at 10:32

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - dan86

I've driven from one end of the country to the other because the deal was worth it. If it's the car you're after in the right colour and spec and a good deal why not.

I travelled from Peterhead in North East Scotland to Blackburn Lancashire for my ex British Gas Caddy 2.0SDI.

Don't understand the mentallity of folk who will only buy locally and end up with something other than what they actually want. Fair enough if it is a cheap runabout, but for anything else, why restrict your choice?.

I think this topic started with the idea of buying new or nearly-new. But we have moved on to fairly well-used, and my sequence of elderly Pugs has taken me around the country as nice ones become less common. In the last ten years I have enjoyed train journeys to Exeter, Boston and Taunton to collect 20-year-old vehicles for return trips of 150 or over 200 miles - so far without mishap. It may be time to stop ....

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - alan1302

Don't understand the mentallity of folk who will only buy locally and end up with something other than what they actually want. Fair enough if it is a cheap runabout, but for anything else, why restrict your choice?.

If it has an issue under warranty you then have to end up taking back to where you bought it...that's something most people won't want to do.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - madf

If it has an issue under warranty you then have to end up taking back to where you bought it...that's something most people won't want to do.

Not if a manufacturer's warranty. And dealer will do..

I bought my Jazz £2k cheaper than local but 70 miles away.. Well worth it and only 6 months old and 5 years prepaid servcing...

(no warranty work needed - of course.I don't buy cars from carp manufacturers like VW or Ford or GM etc )

My Caddy had a warranty, and while i don't remember all the details, i certainly wouldn't have had to go back to the garage i bought it from should i have needed to make use of it. As far as i am aware, most garages (other than main dealers) who offer warranties, do so via a 3rd party like mine (i think it might have been through RAC but i'm not sure). But presumably, like in my case, the customer wouldn't have to go back to where they bought the car.

For me it was about wanting the most reliable small van for my budget. There wasn't a long list of vans, so with the lack of choices around my location (and desire to avoid if at all possible, a white van), i was forced to look further afield. The garage in Blackburn selling my van (Globe Motors) had very good reviews on Autotrader, so i felt fairly confident that i wouldn't be disappointed when i saw the van in the flesh, and my situation at the time was such that i really had to buy the van (unless it was an absolute dog). It will be 2 years in December since i bought it and it has passed both subsequent MOT's with no work required (other than the service done at the same time) and no advisories. There is signs that the DMF is starting to break up, but it hasn't gotten any worse or more noticeable in the last year, so fingers crossed!.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - gkb40

Not my recent experience.

I had a problem with a secondhand car bought 50 miles away from a well known chain.

When a problem arose the car was repaired at a local branch of the chain.

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - colinh

Main problem - "simple cash sale" - Most dealers seem to sell financial products rather than cars, and lose interest (sic) as soon as cash is mentioned

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - mcb100
‘Cash, no bits’ is a sales exec’s nightmare.
Cash so there’s no commission on the finance sold, ‘no bits’ meaning no additional products (paint protection, RTI insurance, alloy wheel cover, etc) sold.
Cash is definitely no longer king.
Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - dan86
‘Cash, no bits’ is a sales exec’s nightmare. Cash so there’s no commission on the finance sold, ‘no bits’ meaning no additional products (paint protection, RTI insurance, alloy wheel cover, etc) sold. Cash is definitely no longer king.

I find if you want to buy cash do a deail and agree a best price as if taking finance then work out if it's cheaper that way to do the deal and pay the finance off after you've taken delivery of the car. It's what I did and saved myself over £1000

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Zippy123

When buying a car from a dealership under warranty it is true that main dealers will undertake warranty work so the risk with buying at a distance is reduced.

However, if you need to reject the car then as I understand it, it will need to go back to the supplying dealer.

We purchased at about 130 miles distance for my daughters Aygo with 500 miles on the clock, though it was a good deal, I thought there were some astonishing lease deals at the time and I thought they were better value. She wanted to own it though.

I expect my next car will need to be purchased at a distance, living in the south east corner, cars seem to be 10-15% more expensive and saving £2k to £3k vs spending £300 on fuel and a night in a hotel seems like a good deal.

Edited by Zippy123 on 24/09/2019 at 21:43

cars seem to be 10-15% more expensive and saving £2k to £3k vs spending £300 on fuel and a night in a hotel seems like a good deal.

Indeed, Colchester to Grimsby was £13.40 plus underground loverpool st to kings cross. but slow, but to save £1500 compared to local prices at that time was worth it.

... cars seem to be 10-15% more expensive and saving £2k to £3k vs spending £300 on fuel and a night in a hotel seems like a good deal.

Presumably some of the mark-up will be to cover much higher overheads in the south-east. I would guess overheads in Grimsby will be somewhere near minimum :-)

Ford focus - Dealer antics re price reduction - Zippy123

... cars seem to be 10-15% more expensive and saving £2k to £3k vs spending £300 on fuel and a night in a hotel seems like a good deal.

Presumably some of the mark-up will be to cover much higher overheads in the south-east. I would guess overheads in Grimsby will be somewhere near minimum :-)

Aye, tis Grim(sby) up north!

Aye, tis Grim(sby) up north!

Aye, but My local dealer, (not the excellent Kerridges in Needham market) but who is closer are always at the very top end of the prices for their 3 marques....AND for me the sin of not listening to me as a potential customer, telling me that I "needed" the exclusive instead of the excite that I was looking at.

It cost me a little bit to go to Grimsby, (friendly wethersppons outside the station too. (with a couple of characters at the bar...but, collected from Station, and 90 minutes later on my way. In Grimsby, when I was asked about add-ons, a simple no was accepted.

Yes the service book and spare key had to be posted, but it got sorted.

And by gum...ooop north, I find the natives a lot friendlier and open.