Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - Robin Howells

Evening all, I am looking for a crew cab pick up, which will be my only vehicle. I have just started self employment as a tree surgeon and really don't want to run two vehicles just yet. I have a budget of about £6,000 and short listed the Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger and Isuzu Rodeo/D-Max. The Nissan Navara I have ruled out due to chassis corrosion issues. Does anyone have experience with any of the makes/models I have listed? Thanks in advance.

Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - badbusdriver

The Hilux would probably be the most reliable, but because of their reputation, your £6k is not going to go far, you'd end up with an older vehicle than the rest. Even with the your other options, bear in mind many of the pickups you will see will be whatever the price is, 'plus VAT'. So unless you are already factoring that into your budget (to claim it back when it comes time to pay the taxman), that would effectively make your budget £5k (+VAT = £6k). And, as with most working vehicles, your biggest problem is going to be finding something worth buying, so the lower your budget the harder thats going to be. If you are not prepared to travel far and wide looking for just the right pickup, you will probably just have to go with whatever the best one is in your area. I'm surprised you have not included the Mitsubishi L200 in your list, being one of the most popular pickups (for years) means there are more of them around than the others. As a comparison, looking on Autotrader (vans), there is a grand total of 8 Hilux's available (>£6, >125k miles), but 69 L200's!. With your budget, that is probably what i'd be looking at (unless a nice Hilux was available!).

Many thanks for the advice. Most of the pick ups I have seen seem to include vat or at least be non vatable. A couple did exclude it which was a shame.

The L200 I guess just always came across (in my opinion) as the more leisure orientated of the lot I guess down to all the blinged up editions I discounted them, but I shall look further at them.

Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - gordonbennet

Mitsis are cheaper, Hilux's are good but yes they hold their values more, old shape Rangers cheap too but seem a decent enough vehicle as are Isuzu, i agree with discounting the Nissans.

I ran a 3 litre auto Hilux from new for 3.5 years, amazed at how much it sold for, good vehicle, 2.5 manual version will be cheaper of course, don't be too bothered about Invincible spec, HL3 is really the best value of the lot with either 2.5 or 3 litre engine, enough goodies but without satnav and other pointless tat...Toyota sat nav of the era you are looking at is more frustrating than useful, but HL2 is really a bit on the spartan side.

If the original buyer bought it privately and didn't claim the vat back there should be no reason for vat to be payable if you buy it from them, this was the case when i sold mine which we owned from new, and yes i'd have another Hilux tomorrow but not one with a DPF.

Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - SLO76

Many thanks for the advice. Most of the pick ups I have seen seem to include vat or at least be non vatable. A couple did exclude it which was a shame.

The L200 I guess just always came across (in my opinion) as the more leisure orientated of the lot I guess down to all the blinged up editions I discounted them, but I shall look further at them.

All vehicles sold by dealers contain vat it’s just that most split it in the case of commercial vehicles as businesses can claim it back. Even a normal used car has a vat element to it. So there’s no such thing as non-vatable on a used commercial sold by another vat registered business.
Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - SLO76
All down to condition and history here. Remember also that businesses only tend to sell commercial vehicles when they start to become a liability so much care has to be introduced when looking for a used van or pickup.

Ex farm hacks are always a no no. They’re run until the muck and dampness on the farm has rusted the backside out of it or there’s a major mechanical failure looming, usually from pulling too much weight. Ex builders workhorses are also usually ruined. Best bet is an ex fleet example that’s offloaded on age such as utilities like water and power companies but they’re fairly thin on the ground. A privately owned toy is great if you can find a genuine one, they’ve kinda went out of fashion so few people tend to run them as family cars these days. Look at private sales to see if one pops up.

All the Japanese designed models are well made but the Toyota is the best but the dearest as a result. Beg, borrow or steal to get the best rust free example you can find and make sure you check that ladder chassis thoroughly for rust as this is the killer on these. Next most important is the transmission. Make sure the prop-shaft is still in place and that you are indeed getting a 4wd. Some rogues remove it to hide a knackered rear diff.

You’re right to exclude the big Nissan (Renault) Navara. It’s poorly made and rust prone. I’d also exclude the Chinese built Great Wall no matter how cheap it is.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/09/2019 at 10:27

Toyota Hilux Ford Ranger Isuzu Rodeo - Used Crew Cab Pick UP - Metropolis.
I would be weary of Mitsubishi L200s, despite the Japanese name they are not as robust as you might expect. Gamekeeper friend of mine had several as a fleet on nearby estate, within a couple of years they’d all suffered premature failures either axles, engine or gearbox, the estate went back to Land Rover after that experience.

But as has already been said, it’s all about condition and who had it previously in this market.

All good advice there, many thanks indeed. From looking at things, the Ford Ranger seems to be a good bet, as they appear to be good value. This is looking quite tempting:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906138963664?supplied-price-to=6500&sort=sponsored-supplied&maximum-mileage=100000&model=RANGER&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_vans&make=FORD&supplied-price-from=4000&postcode=ll606hd&page=2