What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Mercedes C320 2001 Suddenly lost power in drive - MarkTR3

Have a Mercedes C320 which went through MOT problem free about a month ago and had a full service on 22/6/19 and new tyres. All running smoothly until left for holiday yesterday. Sounded a bit "whirry" - like a high powered sewing machine - when turned on and ran ok for about 15 miles, then suddenly lost all power. The engine revved but there was no drive. Had to stop and turn off the car, hope for power when put in drive but when I got it, it seemed only for 100m and then the car slowly came to a standstill again. Is this a common problem? The diagnostics were going mad with many many error codes, but I am aware that it might be one component failing and causing them all. My mechanic suggested it might be some "asbestos" belts slipping and said a gearbox strip down would likely cost more than the car is worth. Getting a second opinion but any ideas?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Mercedes C320 2001 Suddenly lost power in drive - elekie&a/c doctor
You need to check the condition of the transmission fluid . If it’s brown and smells burnt, then the trans is possibly in need of an overhaul. There are no belts , but there are bands and friction discs and various other components that make it drive. However, your mechanic may be correct . An overhaul may be more than the value of the car.